The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ive been doing some gnarly water changes lately, 5 gallons about every 5 days since Ive had the tank for the past couple weeks. The algae is literally cut by at least 80%. All Ive been doing is stirring up the bottom a little bit, and rubbing the algae off of the acryllic before the changes. Actually cleaning the skimmer out every couple days, which she neglected to do, and put my small filter in from my old tank, as an added source to remove the junk. The LM Blennie has probably been helping tons too Im sure, even though he seems like he sits on my clean rocks from my old tank! Thats also only with about 5-6 small hermits, a few snails, and a huge hermit. Im sure if I get about 5-10 more random crabs and snails it'd be good to go. Now if I can just find the right water temperature!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Jflip2002 said:
So Ive been doing some gnarly water changes lately, 5 gallons about every 5 days since Ive had the tank for the past couple weeks. The algae is literally cut by at least 80%. All Ive been doing is stirring up the bottom a little bit, and rubbing the algae off of the acryllic before the changes. Actually cleaning the skimmer out every couple days, which she neglected to do, and put my small filter in from my old tank, as an added source to remove the junk. The LM Blennie has probably been helping tons too Im sure, even though he seems like he sits on my clean rocks from my old tank! Thats also only with about 5-6 small hermits, a few snails, and a huge hermit. Im sure if I get about 5-10 more random crabs and snails it'd be good to go. Now if I can just find the right water temperature!
Must be nice!! Im having a HUGE problem with brown hair algae. Im glad to see its working for someone :)

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
congrats! yep where waiting on the pics. lets go get on with it! LOL

·
Registered
16 Posts
stang, what's the brown hair algae like? How old is your tank? The reason I ask is, I just completely redid my tank in the last 4-5 months. One of the cycles(?) it went through was some pretty nasty looking brown hair algae type on my rocks. It wasn't as bad as the regular green h.a., nor did it get as long (maybe an inch or so). I added a few (4-6) at a time, margarita snails, and they took care of it in just a week or so.

Frank

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have some before and after pics.... Unfortunately, when I post on here I'm mobile or I'm at work! When I get around to getting an internet connection at home ill be more than happy to post some pics. Especially since I added a few more xenias foe free today. Free=good. Unless its free dog crap or something = \ lol

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Congrats on the cleanup! We NEED pics!! :agree:

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Well done, Jflip! Keep up the great work! :)

By the way, what kind of filter did you add to the tank? And what is in the filter?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just added some cheap tetra whisper thing that came with my start up tank. It just has that fiberglass looking material, along with the carbon. And I have a block of those trace elements in it to keep everything up and good.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts