The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a pic of my 58 Oceanic.

I have a 250W 10k DE HQI MH and 2x95W VHO actinics.

The tank looks very boring to me.

Any suggestions on redoing types of coral or adding?

I want more color.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Rob add more corals maybe some green star polyps and a clam or 2 :)

·
Registered
419 Posts
I know you said corals.. but a purple tang would look great! Or some zooos, or maybe a green or red open brain... or maybe even some xenia!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Personally it looks like you have the rock there to make a much taller rock work. I think that some aquascaping could solve some of your boredom issues, but that is more of a poor mans fix. Of course you could add a bicolor blenny. Sure you have to search the tank for them now and then, but when they are out and moving around they have a ton of personality.

Dave

·
Registered
163 Posts
like jimcfr said a purp tang, any kind of tank, maybe a blue tang, maybe a couple of more clowns, not percs, like everyone else says, corals, maybe couple angels, but be careful they could nip at corals, green chromis? 3 or more, but that my $.02

Brandon

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought tangs need a bigger tank? Mine is only a 58.

I would love a purple tang.

There is alot of empty space up top so I need to find some corals that grow up as well.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
your tank is anything BUT boring!!!

i think it looks great!!

with that said, i think dave hit on something, maybe do a little rock work, perhaps jsut a take a few pieces from the edges and put them in the center/top, or, take some from the middle/top and put it on the sides/top. somehting to give it a little character, instead of jsut level across. but that's jsut what i would do.

fish. i think a purple tang, regal tang, or powder blue tang would look great. i would assume they would do fine, as i've been told a tang can be placed into a 55 gallon.

oh and yes, zoos, lots of zoos :) and green star polyps :) and zoos. did i mention zoos?

·
Administrator
47,635 Posts
4' min tank size and preferably not a skinny 55, is OK for a small tang, but they need LOTS of room to stay happy,IME IMO

·
Registered
419 Posts
Again... zooooooooos..... as far as the size for a tang. I have a purple tang in my 55... It is a spectacularly beautiful fish! Tons of personality... always grazing. I bought it when it was quite small and it is now about 3.5 inches.
See if you buy a small one and then it grows.... you have a wonderful reason to buy a larger tank! I buy my 75 gal reefready on Monday! Oh one more thing about the tang.. I thought it would be ok in your tank because you don't have many fish.... I have 2... maroon clown... and purple tang!

·
Registered
41 Posts
GO SPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
add a Calcium Reactor and more lighting and a closed loop and fill that tank up with bright and colorful SPS corals!

Hope your not married though, because your spouse might divorce you if you go SPS, mine is about to....you know the usual trip back from the LFS.."NOW HOW MUCH WAS THAT HONEY??" and then I answer "$20" I tell my wife everything is only $20, if she ever finds a receipt with the real price, I'm dead. hahaha :)

BTW, you have very nice rock work:D

·
Registered
436 Posts
I agree with a little bit of everything of the above, I have the same tank and I am switching over to mostly SPS due to the boredom factor. If you are going to keep only softies I would get some zoos and some purple/blue/bright red shrooms, and maybe rose bta for your percs. Just my 2 cents....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts