The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what would be the visible signs in my tank from running a better skimmer ?? nitrates, clarity, anything like that ?? :arg: say from a g3 to a ap600 or apf600

Thanks for the time,
Joel

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
I dont think it will do much for the water quality, but it may make you feel better for a few days from the "i got a new toy" fix! ;)
Id save the $$$, Mod the G3 and take the wife out on the town.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I can't imagin the Deltecs are worth the price.

We have noticed however that aything with less than a 8" width is hard to keep consistiant. I would go for a blem ER 180 or a ASM g4, if you feel youre current skimmer is inconsistiant or you have to change out the collection cup too often for your taste. A skimmer should help keep amonia, nitrate, and nitrite down (though it only takes out the disolved organics, it stops the organics from turning into the other stuff).

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
If haven't done so already. Do the gate valve and recirc. mod on your G3 before spending lots more money. Then if you still not completely satisfied spend the money. It costs about $30 in parts and about 1 hour of your time. When I get back from Tx, if you want me to help you with it just let me know.....

IMO: The G3 should be sufficient for your tank size and the things you keep. Also keep in mind you tank is still pretty young. Once you get past the first year and stop adding fish load, things will probably get more consistant and predictable, not to mention your experience level......hang in there.....

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
David Grigor said:
If haven't done so already. Do the gate valve and recirc. mod on your G3 before spending lots more money. Then if you still not completely satisfied spend the money. It costs about $30 in parts and about 1 hour of your time. When I get back from Tx, if you want me to help you with it just let me know.....

IMO: The G3 should be sufficient for your tank size and the things you keep.
I smell meeting demo. :cool: :agree:

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
HFG said:
1 hour??? :) ).
Having done it now twice, yes takes less than 30minutes. However, the first time was very very cautious with making sure my markings were correct before drilling the skimmer body for the recirc. plumbing and feed pump. 1 hour was a conservative estimate.....basically to say it doesn't take much time.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
David Grigor said:
When I get back from Tx, if you want me to help you with it just let me know.....
sounds great, neither mod done yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts