The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well since the hurricane its been hard getting control of my algae situation, I try trimming it back myself, water changes etc. and it just grows back. The water parameters look good.

I just need some advice, I don't want to start over I have some cool critters in there that made it through, like some sea urchins and hermit crabs and most of my corals... but the tank needs an overhaul and i don't have much time now with my work schedule.

Should I?

a. get a professional to come install a brand new tank with live rock, etc.
b. keep this tank and do my best.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, my tank used to look pretty good, but now it doesn't, wonder how Casey's tank is doing..?

Attachments

·
There is no kryptonite!
1,546 Posts
Things you can do to get things back under control. Up your water change regiment. Possibly lessen your lighting schedule. Use some phosphate remover (the only thing that would be growing your algae since you said that your water params look good) Make sure that your PH is getting up into the 8.3-8.4 range during the day (this will help keep some of the nuisance algae growth to a minimum) Make sure your refugium is lit on an opposite lighting schedule to help buffer that PH during the night. Feed sparingly.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the feedback, I will try that... so you think its salvageable.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Dont give up on it dude,you will get it keep at it. My tank is fine generators are great.:)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I have a Lawnmower blenny, some hairy mushrooms, that squamosa in the picture, some green star polyps that are frustrated. Various other kinds of mushrooms, a torch coral. I am just afraid I am going to have to pull out each live rock and pull that off of each one of them, thing is I have some sea urchins in there and I never know where they might be, not sure how I will react to them if they sting me.

Guess I could get the aquarium shop guy to come down and help me, he could with us both working on it I am sure we could get it done, he charges a good bit though, but I think he might have some spare tanks, some extra water and what all we would need to make sure everything remains safe...

I am not sure where the sea urchins came from as I have never seen them until after the hurricane. I know have a 5KW generator, I would just need a chiller and plenty of gas and I am sure my current tank would be fine. Please keep giving advice...

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Not sure about your local fish club status, but I would ask around and see if anyone has a tang of one form or another who could be put on "loan" for a couple of weeks. He would make quick work of all of that in a natural way. You would just have to make sure that you clean up after him. If they eat a lot, it all has to come back out. If not removed, that can become food for more algal growth.

Just a thought.

-Ken

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
your biggest problem with the tank is that your LR is all flat. it looks like you can not get in there and siphon out detritus easily. it looks like the detritus can settle between the rocks and release phosphates. hence all of the algae growth.

G~

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well what about the tang idea, I forgot all about them, you think he would eat up all that caulerpa, it must have came in small on some live rock then exploded...

I only have one fish in there now so maybe added a tang on a short term basis would be good, I could always trade him back in..

I thought about this..

Blue Zoo Aquatics has a Executive 24G JBJ cube w/ stand, cured rock, sand, PC lights and all for $449 shipped... I thought about getting that and then just moving my inhabitants to it...

thoughts..

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
My foxface would clean it up in about 3 days maybe try one of them.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Buying a new setup and moving your existing inhabitants to that tank will only double your problem. The algae is being fed by something. As said, it is probably a buildup of phosphates and nitrates. You should test for those and post the results. That will give a better idea of where things stand. Understand that those levels might falsely be low since they are actively being used and converted to food sources by the algal outbreak in the tank (remember, farmers use a phosphate molecular blend to fertilize their crops--no difference). Your best solution is to remove the algae in one form or another. Your choices are:

Natural--Have a critter(s) clean this for you and manually remove their waste materials as they produce it.

Mechanical--Take the rocks out and scrub each with an old toothbrush and leave in a bucket of circulated water for a couple of days. You might adjust your skimmer to produce "wet" skimmate for a few days as well to overactively skim the tank and take nutrients out. Just watch your tank salinity and water levels.

Simply taking your inhabitants from one tank to another will only take them from one home to another. The best way to clean the tank is just to be patient and diligent with your work. Clean the rocks, get some added "help" (herbivore and/or snails--don't go overboard) and do your water changes more frequently. You will also want to lower your photoperiod to about 5-6 hours. I read that that is all that your corals need to stay healthy. There is no quick answer but this is the tried method that you will find in all of the reading you should come across on the net.

If any other folks find a hole in my answer, please correct me, but from what I have learned, that is the best course of action. Now, if you just want another tank...well, that is another reason all together. 8)

Good luck!

-Ken

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
The nano cubes are nice I like mine but the lighting is only 3 watts per gallon. I would probaby get the new tank & rock if it were me but I'm Lazy.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Loverotties said:
What type of water are you using?Are you using tap water?
No im using distilled, cmon loverotties you should know me better than that.. :)

I am going to try the foxface or the tang and see what happens.. I will only have two fish in the tank so it should be to bad, plus i have very good filtration, chemical, mechanical and a Remora skimmer ..

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
this is what i would do, FWIW.

do not get any other fish for the tank. i have tried all kinds of foxface and tangs to fix problems and it is a huge shot in the dark. if you have a refugium, get rid of it.

make a couple of buckets of fresh ASW. one is for replacement water the other is for swishing water. start siphoning off your water in the tank into another bucket. just siphon off as much clean water as you can. you will also put your fish and corals in this bucket.

now start taking out the LR piece by piece. dunk and swish them in the swishing bucket. try and get as much of the detritus off as possible. while the LR is out pull off all of the algae you can. take as much time as can. you can then place this cleaned LR on a towel on the floor or in another bucket dry (this is why it is a good idea to keep all of those old salt buckets :D ). they will be fine for the lenght of time they will be out. try and place them in the same orientation that they came from the tank. when done with the LR, remove all of the Sand and just throw it away. i also suggest not putting any back in there. just go BB. this really is a great way to limit the amount of maintenance you need to do on a tank.

scrape the glass clean. now remove all of the nasty water that is left. you can now start putting the LR back in. if you want you can put a piece of acrylic down on the bottom to protect the bottom glass. you can also go to Wal-Mart and get a white cutting board if you want the sand look. when placing the LR back in the tank make sure you can get a siphon hose all round the LR. when done start filling the tank back up. make sure that the temp and salinity match the original tank water as close as humanly possible. let run for an hour, than put the critters back in.

this unfortunately takes time, but little money, depending on the amount of buckets, salt, and bottom cover. i know you are short on time, but i really think this is the way to go. once you have done this, the only thing you will need to do is siphon detritus once a week. you water changes will only need to be as big as it takes to siphon out the detritus. this will take several hours, i will not kid you, but it will save time and money later.

G~

1 - 20 of 27 Posts