The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys and gals... My 29g tank is up and running strong, and as any good reef addict, I'm already planning my next build!! :agree:

So here's what I'm looking at... I found a *****in' tank size as a display in a petco... They had their turtles in it, and I really liked the size of this tank!

It's 48L x 24W x 20T (these were hand measurements, but I'm pretty accurate with that)

So, that comes out to about 100g tank... I've looked and looked online, and just cant seem to find a tank manufacturer that makes this size tank, I know it wasn't custom, is it was rimmed and all that good stuff, so definitely pre-made, but I just can't seem to find it...

Anyone know where a tank of these dimensions would be found?

Thanks!
-Scott

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Did you try looking under reptile tanks?

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Petco uses Marineland for their display tanks... I would start there :)

Also, you can get a rimmed tank like that from GlassCages.com

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys...

Tony- I did find a glasscages tank that is 48x24x17, which would probably be ok with me... I'd do a mock-up with some cardboard before buying to see if I'd miss those extra 3 inches... If so, I'm sure they can customize it to make it taller for me.

I also like that glasscages has an option for starphire glass...

If, down the road, I am able to build this tank as I want to... I would be going all out, which means it's a distant dream right now lol. I would have to budget it based on what I want, euro-reef skimmer, LED lighting, Custom built stand, controllers, ATO, Auto WC device, etc... So I'll happily manage my 29g for now, till I have saved up enough to build the big one and go all out lol.

Chrisd- I hadn't looked under reptile tanks yet, as I thought they weren't suited to be filled completely full with water? Do they have all the same structural integrity as an aquarium?

-Scott

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Dont want to use a reptile tank for aquarium purposes, the glass is alot thinner in reptile tanks.

Yes, glasscages can customize it for you. Remember though that you will have to clean it up a bit when you receive it. They are not the best on tank clean up (I spent about an hour cleaning up some silicone and whatnot, but I save a grand almost in comparison to other tank builders). I like the 17" height personally, it is what my custom 120g is ;)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well then Tony... Can I see a FTS of the 120 so I can get a feel for the 17" height on that?

I looked at the pics you have, nice stuff! But I wanna see a FTS lol.

I don't mind doing cleanup if it's saving me a ton of $$. Nice sharp razor, some vinegar, and patience and I think I could probably work it out hehe.

-Scott

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
no reptile tanks are not the same I only recommend it because you said they had turtles in it .

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry to confuse! They did have turtles, but it was also half full of water.

I should have been more specific.

-Scott

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dang Tony... I really like that a lot! What are the dimensions? I know it's 17" high, and 120g...

That's so awesome man... And yeah I see now you have the 120g Starphire Shallow Atoll Reefcrest Biotope build in your sig... DOH! Guess I should really start looking in there more than asking the questions here hehe...

-Scott

1 - 11 of 11 Posts