The Reef Tank banner

Tank decision help

2K views 47 replies 7 participants last post by  Segalplayer1 
#1 ·
Hey there guys, so I'm looking at two tanks off of Craigslist as I am upgrading my tank.

There's one that is a 55 gallon with:
Up for sale is a 55 gal tank setup with all accessories needed to have a nice saltwater tank and coral growout. Everything needed to start your saltwater tank!

Included is the following:
(1) 55 Gallon Glass tank w/ Black back-in great condition!
(1) Aquatic Life T5 4 lamp, 4 foot fixture w/ lunar LED lights. This fixture is controllable w/ the remote on the unit- $350 new on amazon. Great for growing LPS & SPS! Has blue, white/pink, and blue LED moon lights.
(1) Brooklyn Black Metal Stand- this is $80 new and is not even a year old.
(1) 40 gallon glass sump- 3 chambers, one for a refugium.
(1) Eshopps PF-800 HOB overflow with filter sock and all plumbing needed. These are $80 new and rated for 800 gph.
(1) JBJ Nano Glo LED light for sump-this was $50 new and is barely used.
(1) Hydor Koralia Circulation Pump
(1) Heater
(1) 500 gph return pump
(6) Big Pieces of rock-this was live and will become live once put in a saltwater tank.
(1) Return line with nozzle
350 OBO (plus I'll add pictures if I can from my iPad)

Or this 85 gallon:'with lights, canopy, skimmer, sump tank and claims it is ready to go so I Bielefeld it has a pump. For 350 OBO.

I'm going to look at both tanks today to see whether I like the top one with HOB overflow or the second one with Built in overflow. The top guy also said he can give me a skimmer he is using as a back up which is an eshopps psk-75h

Thanks for any advice that you guys have to offer on my decisions!

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
i am not a fan of the standard 55 for reefs. great for FW, not so much for reefs. they are just to thin. very hard to get good rock work.

i would honestly go with anything but a 55.

G~

BTW- i owned one for 10+years as a reef.

#5 ·
Okay so update:

The guy with the 85 gallon that I went to see today had everything out in the open for about a month so the tank was waterless (needs a deep cleaning) and the "sump" was a 20 gallon tank with out any divisions. The stand is in pretty bad shape. The only reason I would choose the 85 really is because it's bigger and has the built in overflow.

Then guy that had the 55 gallon has everything running so you know it works,and the sump is 40 gallons with a refugium setup in it too. It was very clean and looks really nice. As of right now I'm leaning towards the 55 gallon.

#6 ·
I love my 55, but the others are right - it's very difficult to work in because it's so narrow. I think you'll have to make the decision on which is the better deal based on seeing them - it's hard to tell by an ad exactly what you'd be getting. It could be a great deal from someone looking to get out or it could be someone else passing on their problems.

EDIT: Posted this as you were posting what you saw. :pI the 55 looks in good shape, then I'd go with it. It's a pain and I bang my knuckles cleaning it but it's not a nightmare.

#7 ·
I'm going to go with the 55 gallon and then later on when I finish up school upgrade to a larger one when I have my own place.

On another note, what kind of calcium or phosphate skimmer should I get? I don't have a lot of money because I'm a semi poor college student.

#8 ·
a note on the Brooklyn Black Metal Stand, DO NOT scratch it!! it rusts like crazy because it has a very thin coat to protect it from rusting.

i actually have the same stand and i had to sand the rusting off and paint it with rustolium within 6 months of it being used and it was brand new!
the stand will get ugly too with all the equipment and the eventual rusting, that's why i actually made a cover for it out of wood. if your interested i can post a pic. its basically just a black wood cover with 2 doors held with magnets and with handles.

i also have the eshopps pf-800 and its served me well, never had issues, no flooding or nothing! im unsure about your return pump tho because it seems kind of slow for the height and overflow. if you flow is too slow it could potentially cause issues with the overflow. im currently using a mag drive 9.8, could have went with the mag drive 7.8.

for the 40 gallon sump, to me that seems way to big for the stand. i am currently using a 20 gallon long and it fits perfect. with the 40 gallon it is going to go over the edges of the stand.

the 4 bulb t5 fixture is fine, i have something similar and it grows everything u could ever want.

#15 ·
here are some pics of my 55 gallon tank with the pf-800 overflow and the 50lb of reefcleaner rock and a 4 bulb t5 fixture. maybe my tank can give u an idea of how to setup yours.
basically i run a reef octopus 150, gfo and carbon reactors, a jaebo wp-25, pf-800, mag drive 9.5 and a couple power heads with a 20 gallon sump.
the overflow is on the left side and the return is on the right side of the tank.

cant forget about mr.lobster!

#22 ·
I'm picking up the tank on Thursday, I'll post pics when I get it.

Do you guys think sand or miracle mud works better in the Refugium along with some caeto.

Also how does a phosphate reactor work? There's one that comes with a pump on marineland.com and then a few that don't. It needs one doesn't it?

As well as what kind of sand? The fine or the one that is like small crushed shell?

#28 ·
http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2534237&postcount=25

i have a 60 gallon tank with overflow and a 20 gallon sump. There are some super good deals on craigslist near me.

first one is for about 150 this one is brand new

http://www.marinedepot.com/Little_Gi...PEPZT-vi.html#

and the second is 35! which i mean seems fishy but the guy said it he used it for a year and just wants out of the hobby.

http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/brows...rium-Pump.html

are these even the right size for my tank/ should i get a bigger sump... going to turn it into a refugium fyi.

thanks for any advice

also lighting a refugium how would you do it with led lights? what are some good ones and can i see pics of your guys' refugiums if you have them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.