The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I am in the process of cycling a 100g tank. I used 25 lbs of live rock and 75 marco rock. 40 lbs of caribsea sand and some sand from my established tank. It has been exactly 10 days. My readings show nitrate 0, nitrite 0, ph 8.3 and salinity at 1.025. temp is 78 BUT AMMONIA IS AROUND .25- .50 i can't really tell it's a light green color (API test kit) . I dropped some snails from the established tank and they are doing fine. I also have detritus on my sand. Why is my ammonia a little high? maybe the test kit is wrong? ( i also use the microbacter7 and it works great)

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Can you take a pic of the test and post it. The best way to figure out what a 0 is take some premixed saltwater and test it and it should be a 0 and will show you the right color. The 0 is mostly yellow with a tiny bit of green to it

·
Registered
186 Posts
Im no expert but....Are you just using live rock die-off to spike the ammonia...no raw shrimp or anything? Seems normal to me. 10 days? You want that ammonia spike to build the necessary bacteria in the tank. You will then see nitrite, then nitrate, then you're good to go once the nitrates drop.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i used some silversides. it was high on like day 2. the live rock i used i crushed up and sprinkled over the dry rock it was for about an hour or so. I will post pics later after i do the test again. it seems like it was .025 but 10 days I won't see a spike in nitrate or nitrite?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Cycling takes time. People now wait 1-2 months if they are conscientious. Unfortunately I was not very educated at the very start and didnt test right away...so I dont know how many days it took for ammonia to drop or nitrite to drop. I started testing a couple weeks in and had steady nitrate levels (20) until right about the month mark. Nitrates disappeared overnight.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Cycling takes time. People now wait 1-2 months if they are conscientious. Unfortunately I was not very educated at the very start and didnt test right away...so I dont know how many days it took for ammonia to drop or nitrite to drop. I started testing a couple weeks in and had steady nitrate levels (20) until right about the month mark. Nitrates disappeared overnight.
I was using some used equipment as well, out of a recently running tank....hoping it would speed the bacteria production, but still took me a month

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
If you have ammonia (an no major die-off event), the tank is not cycled. At 10 days of age, it is definitely not cycled.

·
Zombie Maker
872 Posts
looks like it just started to build up the ammonia to me. I would wait. using rock from an established tank can sometimes be misleading. you have the necassary bacteria to process all three but when you have all new water and no bioload the ammonia processing dies off rather quickly. then as that bacterial body starts to die off it can spike your ammonia back up. you should see a faster than normal full cycle but sometimes it can be delayed. check it again in a week. If you just used silversides that will take a while to start to break down into ammonia but not fast enough to keep the current ammonia oxidizers fed. If that makes sense.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts