The Reef Tank banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
120 reef 40g trigger emerald sump kessil ap700 light 6ish fish
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Could it be stray voltage and not be detectable when you stick your hand in the tank?

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
Only way to tell for sure would be with a meter.
I think most of the time you should be able to feel it.
The fish showed no signs of disease before it died?
Did it jump out? They are jumpers.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I doubt it was disease as stated the shrimp began acting erratic then the eating active fish vanished...

Also I tested stray voltage... I don't notice a tingle or anything in the water when working in it and I'm not super electronically inclined. But I tested it with this on the 200 acv and I got .2 to .3 at 250 acv I got 0

No it had no signs I could see.. it was active eating and not skinny nor swollen... no spots or blemishes... and I've searched the area around the tank out a few feet... unless it managed to land in a gap in the wall that's pretty darn small.

Going to test again when the heater is on to see if it changes.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
Testing between tank water and a ground?
Fire fish are jumpers and often if a fish is not found soon it is hard to identify as a fish.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
i checked for days afterwards... nothing unusual around the tank.... but there is stray voltage... small small amounts.... but enough it must have messed with the shrimp... and maybe the fish? replacing the wave maker asap.... also going to send out an ATI ICP-OES to check for anything else in the water that may or may not have affected it. If all goes well we might use the tank as a grow out for a pair of clowns (gladiator and a mocha storm) before adding them to the 120 gallon aquarium.

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
I don’t know how much current would harmful but best not to have any. I would think that it would mess with the fish’s lateral line though.
I saw where a group trying to grow corals for reef replacement where using electric current to make the corals grow faster.
of course this is much to dangerous to use in a reef tank

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
So I blew up my meter... oops.... finally got another... voltage is now down to to negligible...
I know it's drastically off subject but would the 13.5 be to small to grow out a pair off clowns until they can be added with a 4 or so inch yellow tang

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
They won’t grow much in a small tank. My first tank was 36 gallon and a pair of Occ. Clowns didn’t get full size. After I upgraded to a 65 gallon they did.
While I was setting up the 65 I had to keep them in a 10 gallon for a few months, they did fine.
Why do you want to keep them separate?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I've heard tangs can be jerks to small fish and they are small captive bred clowns... if I mis understand that would be awesome... their quarantine is almost up

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
I think clowns are probably more aggressive than a Yellow Tang.
At any rate they are not going to grow enough in a small tank to make any difference.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts