The Reef Tank banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
I have always used Instant Ocean. Good results lower cost. Have not looked at liveaquaria salt though, first I have heard of it honestly.

·
Registered
120 reef 40g trigger emerald sump kessil ap700 light 6ish fish
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I started having a hard time sourcing IO at one point so I swapped to liveaquaria's salt. I had one really bad batch at first... super low alk but the rest have been good

Once I clean all my buckets out ill mix one up and let you guys know...

Definitely going to kick myself if a gallon or two of bad water ruined 2 months of cycling.

·
Shark..but a friendly one
15,477 Posts
I know I had no part in this search for an answer, but I want to give Y'All a big thumbs up for a great job in your detective work!:thumbup::beer: THIS is what this is all about.....GREAT JOB!
Hack

ps

People may not chime in, or even be 'members', but our forum is a major source of knowledge to all the reefing community.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So buckets are rinsed and cleaned (vinegar and water) letting them dry then cleaning them with rodi... I'll check rodi filters then.
Then mix up two batches with heat and agitation... one of my normal LA salt and one with the tropic marin salt...
In other news the tank has .5ppm ammonia so there must be something in the rock that was living... unless its from my salt water... last I heard we didn't have chloramines though.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Tds was in the high teens so maybe that didn't help... replaced filters... added 2 pieces of rock and a decent handful of sand from my 120... going to pick up shrimp to cycle with that... can't find my old bottle of ammonia and idk if the one I opened was a bad batch going to start two batches of salt later to see if its the salt

I'll try to update this till the cycle is done

·
Shark..but a friendly one
15,477 Posts
Looks PERFECT!:thumbup: Appears your 'cycle' is progressing right along now.
Hack:beer:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
And... am I done? Never done the shrimp cycle but we now have no more ammonia or nitrite... plenty of nitrate though... do I need more ammonia or do I add one fish she wanted?

·
Administrator
46,729 Posts
And... am I done? Never done the shrimp cycle but we now have no more ammonia or nitrite... plenty of nitrate though... do I need more ammonia or do I add one fish she wanted?
What is the one fish SHE wanted. it appears you are fairly cycled but now as you add fish go slowy so the bacteria can ramp up to meet demand.
Just as imortant picking the fish you want and the order to add them with a 2 week or so interval is critical. Marine fish in the wild are constantly searching for food and most reef fish dont travel far so they tend to stake out territories

·
Administrator
46,729 Posts
Are you cycling the 46 bowfront? and what is the main fish to make her happy?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I haven't updated my bio yet... she has a fluval 13.5 and the pet store has a helfrichi firefish for her... she got a good deal on it.
I ussually use the liquid ammonia but I want to remove anything I used the first time that may have led to the water problems. So I wasn't sure what the next step was in a shrimp cycle.
I appreciate the mention and I'm well aware how to add the fish... the helfrichi this week watch for ammonia then in two or so weeks (provided no spike) add something else. Not that we plan anything else but corals and sexy shrimp atm... maybe a neon blue eventually... or a coral croucher or a clown goby or... you get the idea.
The stocking wasn't the big problem... the jello for water we had was what had me at the end of my rope.
Thanks everyone

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
No ammonia and no nitrates in a tank that small should be good after a water change to reduce nitrates.

·
Administrator
46,729 Posts
Nice on the Helfrichii, I hate to think what the go for now. 20 yrs ago they were generally $100. I got mine for less through the shop but still not cheap, was more than the common ones I had

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Nice on the Helfrichii, I hate to think what the go for now. 20 yrs ago they were generally $100. I got mine for less through the shop but still not cheap, was more than the common ones I had
Actually they go for about that still... 125 to 150 online I think... but they get a discount on a discounted fish or some such.... its like $90ish I think... I honestly haven't worried.. her tank her money

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
So I had major issues connecting to the reef tank page... haven't had a chance to update.... not so great news....

We added the helfrichi... he ate and was super active.... added a blood red fire shrimp a few weeks later... all was good for close to a month then suddenly the shrimp goes mad... leaping and diving and swimming around the tank... all corals perfect... growing rapidly. Fish still active and eating...
Then the shrimp jumps out and a few days later no more fish... corals still glowing and growing beautifully... tested salinity alk ph calcium phosphate nitrate ammonia and nitrite everything came back normal and did a several water changes with same water that's goes in 120... no temp or parameter swings in either tank and no fish or invert deaths in the 120
Still no idea what happened... just great one day all the pets dead the next

·
Registered
46 Posts
Today we find a massive initial loss rate in new tanks that skip disease prep, consider works here see if they apply to your potential issue, you are certainly close to the 8 mo timeframe variable.

could any of that explain both the initial cycling challenge and the fish disease portion

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
Check for stray voltage in the tank.
Fish disease don't normally effect inverts like shrimp.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts