The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did not notice my CO2 going low in my calcium reactor and the next thing I know all my Acros bleached. pH did drop to 7.9-8.0 and alkalinity to 2-2.5 meq/l. All other prameters were within normal range. Any thoughts? I know I need a new pH probe because it probably would have turned off the reactor since my pH on my regulator still reads 8.5. It is a shame because for the first time since I reentered the hobby I was about to start fragging my corals and giving them away.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Sorry to hear about the upset!
before you replace the probe... try cleaning it. Sometimes its the little things that make a difference.
How is the rest of the livestock doing?

·
Jr. Reef Tank Engineer
1,081 Posts
It seems that your parameters, including pH and alk are near normal ranges, though on the low end...over what time period did you observe your acros bleaching out?

I have had a Ca Reactor crap out on me, over Christmas...I lost one acro colony due to the failure (I think) but I did not have a mass bleach-out. Let us know so we can help :)

- Michael

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi Alan,

I agree with Michael, those parameters alone are not the only factor that is causing the issue. I'd do a complete check and see if anything else is to blame.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All other parameters are normal as well. I do weekly water changes and supplement magnesium and essential elements every week. I think that I am going to loose all my acros. I have slowly supplemented with Probuffer dkh and have restarted my calcium reactor. I did a second water change but the process of dying corals continues. Any ideas?

·
Registered
236 Posts
how are you testing temp?. make sure you have at least two references for temp just incase one is reading incorrectly. are you sure you have the flow you had? maybe a pump is a little clogged with calcium and is not functioning as it did.

also the one question i hate to ask, what did you change last. are you sure there was nothing left behind like a screwdriver, screw, etc.....

have you dropped you lights recently?

without seeing your tank, i'd say temp/flow could be a factor. In the last week or so we've had an increase in ambient temp I know this has effected me even with a chiller.

·
Registered
461 Posts
pH did drop to 7.9-8.0 and alkalinity to 2-2.5 meq/l.
From what and how fast? A quick drop in ph or carb hardness, even if the numbers remain in a reasonable range, can have devistating effects on sensitive corals, no? Same goes for tank temp, if it jumps from 79 to 82 in two hours, that could start some bleaching even though 82 is an "okay" temp for corals. Right?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have you tested your salt mix? I have had and heard of problems lately with a certain brand. Try testing your ph, cal and dKH on the mix before you add it your tank. I have found that this is the minimum that should be tested for every new bucket of salt.

I do not understand why running out of CO2 would have any impact on your reef except that you would see the ALK and CAL decline which shouldn't trigger a bleaching event. At least not for some time.

Since your corals have lost their algae I would definately feed them plankton to help them survive. I would also reduce the photo peroid while they are recovering.

David

1 - 10 of 10 Posts