The Reef Tank banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Live in key Largo. Evacuated during hurricane Irma. I left my 75 gallon reef tank with battery backup air pump but it was not enough to last the 4 days i was away. We were finally allowed to come back on Tuesday and found house without power, all fish dead. Only life in my tank are a few corals and 3 nassarius snails. Threw all dead creatures out, started my pumps with a generator and changed out 50% water since I do not want to lose live rock and remaining corals. Tested water today and I have 1ppm ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5ppm nitrates, 8.2 ph. I am headed on vacation to Boston/Canada cruise -14 days. (if hurricane jose behaves)
I want to know, since i have no fish, do i need to feed the aquarium (auto feeder) with food while away to sustain the live rock? I am planning on having the tank with only my remaining coral for about a month until i am sure that it has cycled again. Does coral survive without fish?
only corals that survived are a sponge, a torch, quite a few candy canes and some mushrooms.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Yes, coral can survive without fish.
The corals should be OK. you might feed them before you leave.
The sponge depends on much particulate is in the water as they are filter feeders.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts