The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello you guys,

I need to get something to put on my tank. Right now my light lay on top of my tank but I am about to hang them around half a foot above the tank so I need to get something to put on top of the tank. What do you guys use or think will be best? I need it to be easy to take on and off and customable to my tank.

I was thinking a thin sheet of plexiglass, will the light easily penetrate that?

·
Reefaholic
2,736 Posts
Hello you guys,

I need to get something to put on my tank. Right now my light lay on top of my tank but I am about to hang them around half a foot above the tank so I need to get something to put on top of the tank. What do you guys use or think will be best? I need it to be easy to take on and off and customable to my tank.

I was thinking a thin sheet of plexiglass, will the light easily penetrate that?
I dont like plexi/glass tops. They hinder gas exchange and when salt creep gets on them they block light like crazy. I use a screen... you can get the materials cheap and make one for under $20 from the hardware store.

·
125 Gallon Tank
1,932 Posts
i use a 5mm acrylic

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the responses, for the plexiglass. It will not cover the whole top, there will be slots open in the back for my hob skimmer and filter. so gases can still go through and for the salt creep, I could easily clean this if it gets annoying. for the screen, I just don't like the look of them, as they arnt very see through.

·
Reefaholic
2,736 Posts
what is it made of?
What you are talking about is "egg crate" or flourescent light diffuser.

What I am talking about is just regular window screen materials. You can get screen that has holes about 1/2 inch across though, which will prevent any salt creep buildup and fish jumping out, but still have the gas exchange an open top would and allow pretty much all the light through. Salt creep is not that easy to clean...

·
125 Gallon Tank
1,932 Posts
What you are talking about is "egg crate" or flourescent light diffuser.

What I am talking about is just regular window screen materials. You can get screen that has holes about 1/2 inch across though, which will prevent any salt creep buildup and fish jumping out, but still have the gas exchange an open top would and allow pretty much all the light through. Salt creep is not that easy to clean...

but doesnt most of this things made up of some kind of metal? even the net arent they?

·
Reefaholic
2,736 Posts
Modulus, what do you use to keep the screen together though. Like what do you use on the edges of the screen to keep it in one part. Hopefully you get what you are trying to say.

You would need 4 things. The part you are talking about is called spline and it is basically like a rubber rope you insert into a track to hold the screen in place. There is a special tool for getting it in there, but you could use a pizza cutter if you really didn't want to get the tool too.

materials needed

1. screen
2. spline
3. frame (cut to size)
4. inserts to hold sides of frames at corners

and trust me... plenty of light gets through.

·
125 Gallon Tank
1,932 Posts
Some are stainless steel, fiberglass, or you can get them in a synthetic fiber (harmless)

so it should change from time to time cuz it will corrosion?

·
Reefaholic
2,736 Posts
I use egg crate.....easy to cut to your exact requirements and easy to take off. No corrosion....
What kind of lights do you have? With LED's not covering the whole tank I noticed a big difference. Might not be so big an issue with full length T5HO lights, but would still block some. Egg crate is just like a screen, but it raises up about .5" so the further out to the side you get from the light source the more light that gets blocked.

·
Registered
378 Posts
All are good options depending on your lighting source. Egg crate does diffuse the light. So if you are trying to get the most from your lighting screen would be better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts