The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about building my next tank. I have a friend with a glass business so I am thinking it may be a cost savings over buying a commercial made tank. Of course, I have many questions, so I welcome any input from those who have done this before. Considering a 150g.....60x24x24

Is glass or acrylic preferred? Tempered glass suggested?

Is a sump required/suggested or is mechanical and skimmers recommended for a 150g? I don't want to drill into a new glass and screw it up...

When placing pieces together, is it best to place the side walls adjacent to the bottom piece or on top of the bottom piece at the lip edge? I am thinking that mounting the side pieces on top of the bottom piece is best so that the wall is resting on the bottom piece, not held to it by silicon. But I saw a DIY video and it said it makes no better support and its easier to stand the wall piece up and adhere to the side edge of the bottom piece rather than mount it on top the lip of the bottom piece.

Thanks in advance, and if there are any hidden pitfalls, feel free to throw them in now!

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
I love building tanks!

Sounds to be a fun project!

I will say even building a 60g glass tank is a workout, 120g will need a couple strong guys minimum.

You will need 4 of these https://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-corner-clamp-60589.html
and some good packing tape, like ducktape brand is what I use.

This is the silicone I have used in the past, https://www.grainger.com/product/MOMENTIVE-Industrial-Sealant-4UH06

Anyone have any Ideas on Silicone?

I always like to build on the bottom glass, then have the front and back (long sides) go the the edges, and the short sides between the front and back.

also you will want the bottom glass a fraction larger or the short sides slightly shorter so you can have all sides flush, and have room for maybe 1/32" of silicone between the panels. There is a suggested silicone thickness guide, I'll see if I can find it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a bunch for the info. Weight is something I am thinking about. Will need a solid stand to place it too if I go 150. I think the dry weight would be over 300 pounds.

Have you ever tried acrylic? Lighter and supposedly stronger than glass. Just wonder why its mainly used for sumps and not so popular for display tanks. Unless its that much more expensive

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
Thanks a bunch for the info. Weight is something I am thinking about. Will need a solid stand to place it too if I go 150. I think the dry weight would be over 300 pounds.

Have you ever tried acrylic? Lighter and supposedly stronger than glass. Just wonder why its mainly used for sumps and not so popular for display tanks. Unless its that much more expensive
in a lot of cases the bottom pannel for acrylic costs as much if not more then all the same sized glass pannels.

also I would go regular plate, not tempered... A cracked panel will usually slow drip, if bad fast drip, tempered the hole tank is on the floor and house...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts