The Reef Tank banner
5181 - 5200 of 5237 Posts

·
Administrator
49,398 Posts
I completely understand, I sold raft years ago because after exes 2 nd bout of cancer it wasnt something she could do. I still go out occasionally and I have access to a friends rig for long bad azz trips when I can. I was hoping to take my Lady Friend on an overnighter but her mom made her so paranoid of drowning as a kid it was never in the cards. I showed her old vids of stuff we did( not even that crazy) and she said I was out of my mind. I told her i got the gills from granpa who was UDT in Pacific WWII, the crazy I got from Dad who jumped out of working airplanes into war zones. No offense Vin. I lost a bet once and did a tandem jump, before that I flew alot in aerobat planes wearing a parachute. Figured if plane broke oh well, but not something I would do as fun. I know a lot of Skydivers that are fraid of wet landing, and running over a water fall seems insane to them ;)

·
Administrator
19,908 Posts
Hey Paul......of all the important things I really should be thinking about as an adult, ......have you ever tried throwing barnacles in your tank? Scrapping way toooooooo many off a boat this morning, then plucking them out of my eyes, and shooshing them out of me trousers, and then patching my cut knuckles, I began to wonder.....sorta......how they'd take to our tanks? I realize they're filter feeders, and love strong current from my observations of how/where they grow round here. Would just be a 'novelty', nothing particularly important in the grand scheme of life or reef keeping.
Hack

·
Administrator
19,908 Posts
If not, I might beat ya to that one......sounds silly enough to be worth a go. Ain't running back to the creek today, but will grab some while there next week.
Hack

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,184 ·
Hack I have put barnacles in my tank many times especially when the hobby started and I needed something that was cool. They live a few months then croak.

You can see them here on this stick

·
Administrator
19,908 Posts
Do you suspect it may have been a temperature thing as most the things we grab out of the creek round here, or more nutrient related?

As soon as I posted that Paul I ran down stairs to feed my little darlings, and realized I have some 'space' yet..... :unsure: .....you know, that kind of extra space required when one get's a hair ball idea that needs to be scratched.
I might try a 'temperate' tank set up......God knows I have access to the water and STUFF every day. The cellar is cooler than the house, and during the winter my system requires not only the portable room heater, but submersible tank heaters as well.

With an unheated tank I'm pretty sure I can hold it at the mid 70's with little effort or worry......and during the heat of summer round here we're looking at low to mid 70's on the beach, and warmer on the back bays/creeks to probably in the upper 70 range. It's just the cooler months of the year where I'd miss that by a mile! But Ya know, I just have to try THAT now.

HEY, THANKS for the suggestion Pal.....would never of thought of this! COOL!("See what I did there?😁")(y):cool:
Hack

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,188 ·
Tomorrow I have to go to the dentist for a tooth implant. I think this is my 10th implant but I don't think my dentist is very good. My wife likes him but I am the one with all the dental work. He started this implant probably 6 months ago. Like how long does this take? All the rest of them I had dome in a couple of months but I think this guy is still going to implant school.

I saw him in Home Depot yesterday buying tiny toggle bolts......... :oops:

·
Administrator
49,398 Posts
I am not impressed with Old Age, I did OK till I was 70, but now, I still outwork the kids but it costs dearly. Life changes that should have happend in mid 40s seem to be ganging up and Kickin A now

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,196 ·
I know how you feel. I am going for my morning walk/jog now and very soon I will have to rent a fork lift to get me going.

I didn't realize how many things could hurt and wonder why old people walked and groaned like that.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,199 ·
I just came back from today's morning walk/run. I actually don't run, it's more of a Geezer jog but at my age no one goes very fast unless they are running from Nancy Pelosi. :sick:

This is the farthest I have jogged since basic training over 50 years ago. Near the end of my 2 mile "run", I felt something exhilarating......I figured it was that runners "high" athletes speak about when they run for many miles. As I thought about it I realized it must have been that Harvey Wallbanger I drank before bed last night and think I may have just had a little gas. :rolleyes:

5181 - 5200 of 5237 Posts