The Reef Tank banner
5101 - 5117 of 5117 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
1,417 Posts
They do sell it but I am led to believe it is hit and miss with the batches remaining viable during bottling and shipping. I am about to open a discussion on this in my 75 gallon thread if you have time to drop in there.

·
Super Moderator
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
1,417 Posts
Here you go Paul. My first tank and all the newbie questions you would expect. I originally was going to start a 10 gallon then later in the thread I put together a 75 instead. We are just deciding if the cycle is indeed finished or what..

·
Administrator
19,294 Posts
Oh.....Poooooo.....

I miss POD collecting this time of the year.....or any time of the year for that matter. Since I went the Coral fragging rout, my attention has been predominantly on my Corals, and the few Fish I 'know' I have aren't dependent on me collecting any more. They'r thrilled with the shrimp and clams.

I wonder without an aggressive upper part of the food chain, what would happen with continual addition of PODS? I know the pods food source, nutrient rich water would take care of the lower limits of their population....what would control their upper population limits..... hmmmmmm :unsure: ?

I know during my system wide move this winter there were a handful of tiny Fish that THAT was probably the last I'll see them in this new system......looking through the canopy at the forest floor is tough.

Purple Gas Pet supply Electric blue Event

No substrate, and the egg crate is raised to various levels..... my big fish are quite happy meandering around the top waters, and dart in and out through the few big hunks of rock......but think the little fish, my Gobbies, should be 5-8 'ish of them......either evaporated, or living well beyond my ability to see them.
Blue Cloud Sky Azure Plant

A new sensation both for me and the Fish viewing from this look up/down angle vs from all side of an 'island style' tank.

Azure Water Fluid Organism Liquid

Yeah......I think I have to throw a bucket of pods in there, and see if I need some more tiny Fish. LOVE EXPERIMENTING!

·
Administrator
19,294 Posts
WOW.....1st the Gatorade bottle wasn't big enough.....then the 5-gallon bucket wasn't.......now THIS? Oooooooo, I sure hope it's big enough Pal....ain't sure what comes next.......The Nimitz?
Hack

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,108 ·
You just can't have to many amphipods. :p I still have a few hundred in my workshop in a container just for fun. I finished having fun with them and will dump them in my tank today.

Now I really have to much livestock but most of it is under my rocks or in my reverse undergravel filter :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
27,903 Posts
You know Paul, my tank with the under gravel filter never got the ugly stage. Been up for months and still looks good. Just some soft corals. No fish yet.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,110 ·
Last year I put 4 tires on this Jeep. I only buy American tires which isn't easy but they are out there and they say "Made in USA " on them.

I put on larger, wider tires so I could more easily goon the beach.

I first went to Firestone and asked them where their tires are made and they didn't know, so I said, Have a nice day.

Anyway I got a slow leak in one tire last week so I brought the car back to Midas where I got the tire because I (stupidly) bought the road hazard insurance with the tires. :(

The guy found a nail in the tire near the sidewall in a place he said couldn't be fixed. (I could fix it)
So he says: Oh good you bought the road hazard insurance so I figured I would get a tire for free.....YYYyaaaaaaaa. :)

Nope!

It seems the original tire (last year) sold for about $150.00 but now that tire sells for about $225.00 and the insurance only covers the original cost of the tire. :oops:

(I am sure the people who sell this ridiculous insurance know this) So I figure, OK so I only have to pay $75.00 for the new tire which isn't to bad.

Nope!

I have to pay for mounting, balancing and probably the Mc Donalds hamburger and large Coke the guy was eating when I came in. Then I have to "Re-Insure" the new tire because it seems the "insurance" only covers one incident. :cautious:

So the new "Free" tire will cost me about $125.00 which is the amount I originally paid for the tire.

It is my fault because I broke my cardinal rule of buying insurance. I never buy insurance because it is always a scam. If I didn't have the insurance I would have fixed the tire myself in 3 minutes for about 35 cents. And I already have the plugs so I wouldn't even have to spend the 35 cents.

Today they make a big deal out of everything and years ago these things were free or almost free as I plugged dozens of tires and never had a problem. But no one makes money when you fix things yourself.

Of course this is when I bought the car.

·
Administrator
19,294 Posts
'They' still catch me/US off guard in moments of weakness....even when you think you have every fraudulent angle that could be imagined covered. Especially when they tell ya 'how cheap' it will be.......and I know how tough I/WE are on things.....yeah, we got this. NO, the seam ripping out on your 3 month old couch isn't under warranty......you had a 100lb Great Dane laying on it. NEWS FLASH......no one in this house has seen 100lbs in YEARS! But if we layed on it, yeah, that's covered? Sounds like 'discrimination' to me?

Cell phones....due to the nature of my existence I am prone to being/getting/jumping, or other wise winding up in the water........after 5 phones getting fried from such behavior they cancelled my warranties....REALLY?
Hack

·
Super Moderator
27,903 Posts
Paul, I have patched and plugged many tires over the years. But nowadays with all the lawsuits businesses are overly cautious about repairs.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,113 ·
VWD, yes I know, they are Sissies. I can't plug the thing myself more because I stupidly bought the insurance which isn't worth much. It isn't the money, it's just the aggravation and waiting. I don't wait well. :(

Insurance is also a stupid necessity. I can see it for driving and a few other things but like Mal Practice, that should be a personal preference. An operation probably costs a few grand as I have had 30 of them. But because of insurance they cost much more than a car or house only to make the insurance company rich. You should be able to sign a waver saying you won't sue even if the surgeon takes a break in the middle of your surgery to go to Starbucks for a double, caramel latte with extra whipped cream and a canoli on the side and that signature should be "binding" which it is not. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
27,903 Posts
Yeah, things are disposable nowadays. Everything has a short life expectancy , not like my two 39 year old water heaters that where still working fine but had to change for insurance. Same with our A/C unit of the same age that started giving us problems last fall. Not your lucky to get 5 or 10 years out of an appliance.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,117 ·
I spent Fathers Day in Manhattan, the place I hate the most in the world and if it wasn't for my Grand Kids I would rather have spent it in a rice paddy in Viet Nam.

We also went to a wedding on a roof top in Manhattan. It was in the fifties, windy and everyone was freezing but the most dangerous thing was trying not to trip over the penguins. :oops:

When we got to the City of course my wife has to go to the bathroom so we go into Starbucks. I had to order a coffee so she could use the bathroom. Five bucks for a small regular coffee. I told the girl, "I only want one". :rolleyes:

I heard they are going out of business and I really won't care at all.
I worked in Manhattan for almost 50 years and the day I retired was the best day of my life except of course my wedding day and when my Grand Kids were born. :D

I can't believe anyone lives there on purpose.....Like Really!!!!!

Then to get back to the Jitney bus to go the 100 miles back to our house, we got into the wrong UBER. (my fault)

The UBER was supposed to be a black Buick with the license ending in 23C. A black Toyota stopped in front of us and opened the trunk. His licence ended in 3C so I just "assumed" it was for us.

The guy starts going the wrong way in Manhattan so we found out we got into the wrong car. Now we have 15 minutes to get to the bus and we got there just as the bus did. 😨

5101 - 5117 of 5117 Posts