The Reef Tank banner
5021 - 5040 of 5073 Posts

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,025 ·
VWD, I found out about the Mojano Wands. There are many in the factory in Florida but since Marine Depot went out of business the new company hasn't returned phone calls so they don't want to sell it. "yet"

"We" (meaning the company owner) are looking for a new wholesaler and to do that you need a lawyer and all that takes time. As soon as a deal is finalized, they will ship and will be sold again.

There is talk to sell them on Amazon and eliminate the middle man which may be a little cheaper . But then the company will have to advertise because Amazon doesn't do that for you.

Of course Covid screwed everything up and closed the factory in Florida and some over seas places that make some of the parts that are not made here.

I insisted that the thing be built here in the US and it is. But that makes a whole lot of problems that takes time to remedy.
I own the patent so I have say in things in the company and the owner is a friend of mine and a really nice guy. He used to have really nice tanks to but he moved and got married has a beautiful son and a real business so life gets in the way.

But he is on it and I spoke to him last night. :D

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
No snow flakes here either Paul.....as we said our good beys to one of our own on the creek this morning.....Just the way we also like it.
Sky Jeans Cloud Vehicle Water

Water Sky Fog Wood Boat

A 'toast' being offered.
Hack

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,029 ·
Since my shoulder surgery I have been getting severe pain in my arm where he operated. I also had it before the operation so I don't think it is from that. But the surgeon fish said it could have assabated it.

So he gave me two prescriptions to take while I wait the two weeks until I see him.
I have been feeling lousy so I looked up the side effects of these medications.

Dry mouth, wet mouth, weight gain, weight loss, runny nose, blue nose, blurred vision, constipation, dizziness, diarrhea, weakness, ringing in the ears, heart failure, an uncontrollable urge to disco dance, Da da da da, uronoma, ich, bloating, gas etc.

The other medication also had those side effects plus many more including death. So after death, the other side effects didn't seem to severe.

This morning I stopped taking them and figured I would throw them in my tank. Maybe it eliminates red slime or hair algae........You never know. :)

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,030 ·
I am slowly making a big change to my tank. I have so much blue encrusting sponge that I think it is either sucking nutrients out of my water or it is adding some sort of toxin. It is beautiful and looks like light blue montipora but you can't eliminate it. You can see a milky substance come out of it when it is cut. (angelfish won't touch it)

The last time I trimmed a lot of it, I lost almost all my SPS corals and many of the Zoa's. The Zoa's are all tiny now and they were huge. My green star polyps disappeared and that stuff will grow on your piano if it's close enough to your tank.

But the good news is that gorgs and leather corals grow like crazy so maybe they like what the sponge is putting into the water or taking out.
I am slowly changing the tank over to leather corals, mushrooms, gorgonians and of course sponges. :)

It's this stuff.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,031 ·
2 or so years ago I built a DIY de-nitrate reactor just for fun.
I didn't think it was actually going to do anything and it is behind my tank so I hardly ever even see the thing but today I am going to PT and I needed to kill an hour so I figured I would test the water coming out of it.

I didn't think it was actually doing anything and if it wasn't, I would take it out and build something else out of it. This is it.

Denitrification reactor.JPG

I tested the water in my tank which is on the left and is about 60 mg/L nitrate

The water coming out of the device is about 5. I guess it works. :p

Nitrate test.JPG

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,035 ·
Sponges are known to release compounds in reef water that stunts, kills and even induces bleaching in stony corals. Sure it’s probably no big deal to have a few small cute sponges in your reef tank and refugium. But a big population of sponges, mostly hiding where the sun don’t shine, and where you can’t see them, could be toxifying you reef aquarium water against conditions that our precious corals prefer.

See also Reef Delete is a New Way to Sterilize Aiptasia and Other Pests
2. Sponges COMPETE with corals for resources
Sponges in a reef tank concern us not only for what they release into the aquarium water, but also for what they take out. All living things need a basic recipe of essential trace elements and minerals and this includes corals and sponges.

Since they both adapted to live in seawater corals and sponges need the same suite of elements like iodine, strontium, potassium etc. to keep their cells alive and growing. Thankfully most sponges use silicate to build the skeletons so they don’t compete with corals as much on the mineral requirements for calcium, carbonate and magnesium.

However they are sucking up all the other trace elements that corals need, and essentially competing with corals for all trace elements that we try to replenish regularly through regular additions and water changes. In an aquarium environment devoid of sponges you can be assured that corals are only competing with each other for minor and trace elements.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,036 ·
Good Morning. After my walk this morning my wife and I were eating breakfast and I had the TV on in the background. We have a Long Island news channel here and they talk about what is happening locally.

They mentioned a murder in a town near here so we listened. Then they mentioned the street and it is the street my wife's family used to have a summer home on.

Then they showed a picture and said the address. It is her exact old summer home where the murder took place.

They owned it 55 years ago when this area was what we called "sticks". Practically dirt roads and it was very hard to get here because the expressway wasn't even built yet.

Does that make her famous? :unsure:

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
Did I really hit 'like'?......DUH! I'll redact THAT and go with the 'shocky face'....blasted old reflexes!
Hack

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,038 ·
I was looking through my Log book that I started in 1971. I won't publish the entire book because frankly I would probably be embarassed of some of the stupid things I did. :oops:

At the beginning of my log book I started writing a book about the different fish and how to keep them. Remember at that time, in 1971 no one kept salt fish so whenever I got a fish, and kept it alive for a while, I wrote about it and drew pictures of the fish. :)

There were also no computers or cell phones so no cell phone camera's. I had to print the book. Of course this was in the very beginning of the hobby when hardly anyone knew what these fish were and no one saw them in person unless you dove.

First fish book.jpg

Fish book copperband.jpg

It looks like my last entry to my Log book was 1996. It is mostly what I had in the tank, how long they lived and what, if anything I did to feed them and keep them alive.

I see something interesting I logged in 1977. I bought a yellow tang on Roosevelt Ave. in Queens NY for $7.00 and two percula clowns for $3.00 ea

5021 - 5040 of 5073 Posts