The Reef Tank banner
4861 - 4880 of 4904 Posts

·
Administrator
17,221 Posts
THAT'S COOL! Was boarding the sub one of your 'interesting place' you visited? I'm sure they would have benefited from your knowledge of gathering NSW in your area. 🤔 😁
Hack

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,864 ·
So I found a powerhead and heater in the back of my tank under some rock because now that I rebuilt my skimmer I decided to clean the back glass which is full of sponge and seaweeds. First I had to put the diatom filter on the tank because that stuff is thick and flies all over the place.

I found a powerhead back there under the rocks that I put there a couple of years ago but I totally forgot about the heater.

Getting those things out involved moving a big portion of the reef and a huge part of it collapsed into the front glass.

Not to worry. Ever since I put everything in the tank here 4 years ago after my move I have been wanting to move the entire reefscape back away from the front glass because the corals grew to close to the font so I had trouble cleaning the glass.

That powerhead and heater you couldn't even tell what they were being encased in such growth.
I had to call over my friend as one of us had to be in front and one in back to move the structure back about 6".

I forgot how big my rocks are because I built most of them and some are 18" long so when you try to move that, the entire tank moves, which is did.

Not to worry.

After a few hours I got everything back and the tank looks so much better. The rockwork always had big caverns all through it but now they are bigger and I can see under the rocks and through many of them all the way to the back. I really like it although I had to damage quite a few SPS and some of them are probably burried which are just collateral damage of war. Most of them are fine. :)

After the diatom filter clears it up a little better, I will take some pictures. The fish are all mad at me but after their meal of clams, they will forget all about it. :p

This is a shot through the back

View attachment 2409113

This is the pump I found back there. The stuff on the wire is sponge.
Most of the growth I cleaned here.

View attachment 2409116

·
Administrator
17,221 Posts

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,869 ·
From cutting all that sponge out my tank is cloudy and the corals are letting me know their dis satisfaction.

I have a very hard tome getting the skimmer to skim because I broke the circulating pump which pushes water through the venturi valve.

Another pump I found turned out not to work good enough and even though I built new impeller bearings for it, it wasn't strong enough to run the thing so I had no way to clear up the water.

I ran a diatom filter all night but that didn't help because the gunk in the water is in solution and smells a little .

I eventually Rube Goldberged the original pump to work but I am afraid to let it run all night in case it comes apart and floods the house. But it is working perfectly now and the skimmer is which is what I want.

I have about 15 gallons of seawater on and so keep filling the tank as the skimmer removes the pollution.

If it clears up the water in a few hours everything should be fine. If it doesn't clear by tomorrow I will collect a lot of new water.

·
Administrator
17,221 Posts
WOW......hope it clears for Ya Paul.....a tad chilly for a water collection outing.
Hack

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,871 ·
My tank really didn't like me removing so much encrusting sponge as it has a milky substance in it. It also smelled a little. My skimmer wasn't working but I luckily was able to temporarily fix it or I would have lost the tank.; As it is I lost a few SPS corals, some were my oldest and my long nose butterfly died but the rest of the fish seem fine.

Today I collected, warmed up and changed fifty gallons of seawater as the skimmer is still going crazy and the rest of the corals including all my duncans and hammers are not extending to much so I hope they will perk up after the largest water change I ever did in my life.

I collected that water using a bilge pump thrown into the surf but I just went back for anther 40 gallons and this time I just put on boots and collected with a bucket which was a lot faster.

The ocean water is 60 degrees and the salinity is 0.017. But that is at 60 degrees
Water Sky Cloud Beach Personal protective equipment

Tire Wheel Sky Car Automotive tail & brake light

Water Vertebrate Plant Nature Underwater

·
Administrator
17,221 Posts
A lot to be said Paul for the 'stability that comes with age', and have to think that that saved a more serious crash.
The ocean water is 60 degrees and the salinity is 0.017. But that is at 60 degrees
And guessing that that is 1.017 SG.....I think even in the heat of the summer our stretch of the Atlantic is down around 1.023 at best.....and always add a little Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. And that's another thing.....the size of your system has to help stabilize things.

Best wishes,
Hack

·
Administrator
17,221 Posts
I’m sure your tank will settle down and be fine. I wish I could collect seawater. But the Louisiana coast I’m not so sure about
What would be your concerns Vinnie.....NSW in general, the Gulf, or the thought of all the oil rigs out there? I think I'd be cool with it......heck, I've grabbed mine from a marina during the cold months when I don't go off shore.
Hack

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,875 ·
Here is the tank now. The corals are starting to come back but I did lose a few SPS, my long nose butterfly, female Watchman and I think my very old long spined urchin will bite the dust. Or gravel. :confused: Copperband is fine. :)

Urchins are very sensitive to water conditions and if they die, there is something amiss. I don't remember getting that urchin but it is probably 10 or 15 years old. If it dies, I will get another one.
This is all from cutting a bunch of sponge. I changed almost 50 gallons and I will change another 30 or 40 gallons now.

I also moved some SPS corals down to the gravel temporarily and a few other things I want to move when the tank settles down more.

Underwater Organism Marine biology Coral Electric blue

Natural environment Organism Marine invertebrates Underwater Terrestrial plant

Water Plant Nature Natural environment Organism

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,878 ·
I picked up this guy yesterday. I just moved him so he isn't expanded yet but he is about 10" across.
It's the bluish thing in the center bottom above the copprband

Water Underwater Fluid Pet supply Coastal and oceanic landforms

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,880 ·
Happy Veterans Day to all the Veterans here. Remember, if it were not for Veterans we would all be keeping Artichokes instead of fish. 😀

A lot of people think it’s “Veteran’s Day” or “Veterans’ Day,” but they’re wrong. The holiday is not a day that “belongs” to one veteran or multiple veterans, which is what an apostrophe implies. It’s a day for honoring all veterans — so no apostrophe needed.

Veterans Day is NOT the Same as Memorial Day.
A lot of Americans get this confused, and we’ll be honest — it can be a little annoying to all of the living veterans out there.

Memorial Day is a time to remember those who gave their lives for our country, particularly in battle or from wounds they suffered in battle. Veterans Day honors all of those who have served the country in war or peace — dead or alive — although it’s largely intended to thank living veterans for their sacrifices.

https://www.defense.gov/News/Featur...-facts-to-know-about-veterans-day/#pop3845085

4861 - 4880 of 4904 Posts