The Reef Tank banner
4781 - 4800 of 4830 Posts

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,781 ·
Hack, good morning. I was eating crepes with my bride that I made for breakfast.

When I collect water here, I warm it up and add a little salt sometimes. I also diatom filter it because I am taking it from the surf and it is full of sand and chopped up seaweeds so it is cloudy.

And Hack, yes, I use 100% NSW. Nothing added if the salinity is close to my tank and I don't test the other parameters. Our fish come from the sea so how bad can it be?

·
Shark..but a friendly one
16,599 Posts
And Hack, yes, I use 100% NSW. Nothing added if the salinity is close to my tank and I don't test the other parameters. Our fish come from the sea so how bad can it be?
🤔 Uhhhhh, you do know THAT'S the ocean we're talking about, and not a pristine factory with high quality standard n all. Boats, planes flushing their toilets, fishermen/women peeing in the bilges, sea gulls pooping in it, seals taking baths.....how in the blue blazes do you think anything could possibly live in THAT STUFF....none the less fragile fish? What are Ya...NUTS?("SORRY Squirrels")

Water Water resources Wood Rectangle Liquid

Water Water resources Slope Rectangle Road surface

Yes, that is all Fish swimming around the marina. BUT then that is a marina after all that the EPA sets such high standards around, compared to the open ocean without such government over site protection.:ROFLMAO:
Hack

·
16,599 Posts
Very least a long life span! Maybe even breeding? 😁
Hack

·
Administrator
47,200 Posts
Dang that is danger close Paul. Anymore I am picky who I go play with. I AM OLD BUT not in a hurry to have some idiot kill me

·
16,599 Posts
On this particular day the Atlantic Ocean around here was 1.0225 SG. Compared to our reef which rolled in at a whopping 1.0250, and the temp. was 4 degrees off. So of course I used it as was.......not a hiccup to be had....a rock steady 1.0250 @ 80 degrees. Couldn't have done better with IO'Reef Crystals.
Hack

·
Administrator
47,200 Posts
Paul since you have a propensity to write have you ever considered a collection of your "creative posts" as a book.
I find your style infinitely entertaining and and I would contribute to MS Society to have them all in one place.

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,790 ·
Doug, I actually thought about that yesterday. Along with Supermodels, Cicada's, WD-40, Christopher Robin, Winnie the Pooh and mashed potatoes.

But I was thinking of putting them all in something as I think my Grand Kids would like to read it some day after I croak. :)

·
16,599 Posts
....Ohhhhh, cool name.....'The Croak'ins of Paul'! Catchy! 🤔 :ROFLMAO:
Hack

·
Registered
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
263 Posts
Doug, I actually thought about that yesterday. Along with Supermodels, Cicada's, WD-40, Christopher Robin, Winnie the Pooh and mashed potatoes.

But I was thinking of putting them all in something as I think my Grand Kids would like to read it some day after I croak. :)
When I read that the Loggins & Messina song started in my head. You weren't by chance listening to that were you?

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,793 ·
I just got back from my morning walk and while I am waiting for my muffins to bake I got a minute to post.
My walk this morning took me through a grave yard and it is very old. I mean VERY old.

Here are some of the tomb stones.

The round one in the back I think it is the oldest and it was hard to make out the inscription but it reads something like this:

RIP
Here Lies Orgg. (no last name)

"He was a fine Neanderthal who could take down a full grown Mastodon using his breath alone"

He will be missed. +

·
16,599 Posts
🤔 😯......GRANDPA!!!!!!!! THANKS Paul! Lost track of him after that last blasted glacier passed by.😁
Hack

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,795 ·
I walked early this morning, Like 5:30 then I went crabbing behind my friend Sue's house. I went there to do a bunch of maintenance for her and in between that I was crabbing. I caught 3 anemic looking crabs which I threw back.

As for those stories that I post, I don't have copies of most of them and will have to look on these forums to find them. :confused:

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,797 ·
This post is only for gearheads that know something about engines. If that is not you, read something else. Perhaps Huckelberry Finn.

I finally fixed my boat with the help of our marina mechanic. We, and the rep from Merc Cruiser who built the engines were baffled for quite a while and it was the simplest and stupidest issue.

It started when my exhaust manifold rotted through so I replaced all 4 of them.
This is one part of one of them.

Then I went out and all was well for an hour until one engine cut out. No problem as I have two engines.

The other engine cut out so I had to get towed.

After much testing It was the coils which is ridiculous because those two coils sat in that engine a couple of feet from each other for 20 years and they both croaked minutes apart and the weird part is that the both coils worked. They just didn't work hard enough which I have never seen and I am a pretty good mechanic as is the boat mechanic.

I replaced the coils and spark plugs, wires and went out. After a little while the starboard engine slowed down and sounded like a machine gun and trust me, I know what a machine gun sounds like.

Back at the dock I took a compression test which was good. I figured a lifter was hanging up so I removed the exhaust manifold (again) so I could remove the intake manifold and the lifter, which looked perfect so I put it back together.

Same noise so I found out a valve spring was broken near the bottom so I couldn't see it.

I replaced the spring and went out. Now that big noise is gone but over 3,000 RPM the engine slows down and makes popping noises.

We swapped from one engine to the other the coil, distributor, carburetor, "computer" and fuel pump. Took it out, still no power in starboard engine.

Swapped spark plugs from one engine to the other. AAAhhhha

The other engine, which was fine no longer started.

"Spark Plugs" should not cause that especially spark plugs with less than an hour on them.

Put in new plugs and took it out. Wide open throttle for 20 minutes and it ran perfect.

I am freekin thrilled. The mechanic took it out because I was busy but now I want to take it out to see for myself.

Now all I want to do, besides go out to dinner on it, is to remove one carburetor because the lower butterfly is severly sticking . Easy fix (I hope)

·
Registered
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
263 Posts
This post is only for gearheads that know something about engines. If that is not you, read something else. Perhaps Huckelberry Finn.

I finally fixed my boat with the help of our marina mechanic. We, and the rep from Merc Cruiser who built the engines were baffled for quite a while and it was the simplest and stupidest issue.

It started when my exhaust manifold rotted through so I replaced all 4 of them.
This is one part of one of them.

Then I went out and all was well for an hour until one engine cut out. No problem as I have two engines.

The other engine cut out so I had to get towed.

After much testing It was the coils which is ridiculous because those two coils sat in that engine a couple of feet from each other for 20 years and they both croaked minutes apart and the weird part is that the both coils worked. They just didn't work hard enough which I have never seen and I am a pretty good mechanic as is the boat mechanic.

I replaced the coils and spark plugs, wires and went out. After a little while the starboard engine slowed down and sounded like a machine gun and trust me, I know what a machine gun sounds like.

Back at the dock I took a compression test which was good. I figured a lifter was hanging up so I removed the exhaust manifold (again) so I could remove the intake manifold and the lifter, which looked perfect so I put it back together.

Same noise so I found out a valve spring was broken near the bottom so I couldn't see it.

I replaced the spring and went out. Now that big noise is gone but over 3,000 RPM the engine slows down and makes popping noises.

We swapped from one engine to the other the coil, distributor, carburetor, "computer" and fuel pump. Took it out, still no power in starboard engine.

Swapped spark plugs from one engine to the other. AAAhhhha

The other engine, which was fine no longer started.

"Spark Plugs" should not cause that especially spark plugs with less than an hour on them.

Put in new plugs and took it out. Wide open throttle for 20 minutes and it ran perfect.

I am freekin thrilled. The mechanic took it out because I was busy but now I want to take it out to see for myself.

Now all I want to do, besides go out to dinner on it, is to remove one carburetor because the lower butterfly is severly sticking . Easy fix (I hope)
Do those plugs have a resistor in them Doug? I have heard of resistor style plugs going south quickly on one of my other sites. There seems to be some counterfeit plugs out there that are branded and look identical to the real thing but are extremely poor quality.

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,800 ·
I don't know. I should be going out on the boat tonight and they are there for me to take home and test. I think I put in AC plugs.

4781 - 4800 of 4830 Posts