The Reef Tank banner
4761 - 4780 of 4830 Posts

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,762 ·
Vinny, I am actually fantastic. How are you? Me and my tank are still kicking although I don't mess with it to much. It kind of takes care of itself but I have a problem convincing the hermit crabs to clean the glass. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,764 ·
I forgot I have gotten older, but I guess it's true. :cool:

I just bought another gas can for my generator because of the hurricane coming tonight. (even though I don't believe it) and I went to Costco to fill it and my car with gas.

The line for gas started out on the main road so the line for each pump was like 30 cars long.

Like really! Who would be stupid enough or cheap enough to wait on that line?

I made a "U" turn and went to another station where the gas is like 7 cents a gallon more and no line. Like who cares!!!!! I don't do lines well.

·
Premium Member
25,270 Posts
I’m in the process of putting a whole generator in, but I’m in south Louisiana and we’ll storms are all to common here. I also have a portable generator just in case we don’t finish before we get hit with one, been lucky so far this year so far. Last year was another story. We got hit with three major storms.

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,766 ·
I am now in a condo so I can't put in a permanent generator. My portable one runs my unit and my two neighbors. :)

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,767 ·
Captains License and that was the hardest course I ever took.
It's not just navigation, that is a small part and no electronics are allowed. It's all with a compass, paper and pencil. (and of course whatever you can write on your arm before the test)

They give you questions like:

"You are leaving buoy #6 in Chesapeake Bay at 0400 hours on a Tuesday. There is an 8 1/2 knot easterly current and the wind is out of the north at 15 knots.

A Russian trawler is 7 points off your port bow traveling at 6 knots and you can hear "In a Godda Da Vita" blasting from the Captains quarters while a 9 year old child wearing a fedora, drinking Vodka seems to be steering..

You are heading through the Bermuda Triangle while 7 US Air Force plans from the 40s circle overhead obviously running out of fuel.

You see something in the water ahead of you and think it's a blue whale, but it is the Nautilis nuclear submarine that sunk decades ago and it still has remnants of giant squid tentacles stuck to it's hull.

The Captain of that Iconic boat is screaming at you for help but all you can do is offer him some cold chicken wings from last nights Superbowl game. His ship sinks back into the darkness.

Now you are heading toward your goal on the southern coast of France and it is eerily quiet. Too quiet. So quiet that you can't even hear the humming bird circling around your head.

The plastic garbage in the water is gently swirling in a counter clockwise direction.

Nothing to see. You can't even see the water between the empty bottles of Perrier water and your ship seems to be floating on a mist so fine as to not even be there. Your depth gauge tells you the water is 800 feet deep and as you look over the side you can see the linoleum on the bottom as if it is right under you....... All of a sudden something blue comes into view. :oops:

It gets clearer and clearer and to your horror, it is an Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser. A 1968 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser with bumper guards and a child's seat in the back.

What could this mean? ;Facepalm

Just then,,,,,,,,The instructor tells the class it's time to take a break.

·
Shark..but a friendly one
16,599 Posts
Henri I be thinking.....he's the one that's causing the ruckus as it slowly passes here.
Hack

·
16,599 Posts
Top of the morning Paul!
Ain't sure if'n your hand is healed up enough for a lot of tying yet, so will try to keep this as short as, well, short as this old long winded fella can. 🤔 ;)

You and I seem to be the only folks on here who feel that the Atlantic Ocean is of a high enough quality to be trusted in a reef tank, so tag, your it. 😁

Do you still 'adjust' your water collection when you bring home before adding to your tank to match 'accepted standards' for your parameters.....besides removing cigarette butts and syringes? Or have you been using the Atlantic long enough for top offs and water changes that it's pretty much all natural by now?
I find I still add a dash of IO's Reef Crystals into each bucked before I throw it in my system..🤔, for the benefit of raising it's SG, as we tend to be a wee low around here ... but as you'll point out the age of one of your pimples compared to the age of my system, I haven't been adding the Atlantic to our reef as long as you have.

Hey, I said I'll try to keep it short.....

Tossing around the idea, but with a pretty high percent chance of going through with it, of changing directions of my reef keeping hobby this winter. Retiring my 7 year old 210 gallon 'softies' tank, and down sizing, and then attempting my hand at keeping 'Pretty colored Stones' happy.
Thoughts are in the perhaps 60 to 90'ish gallon range this time, as Fish won't be one of my bigger priorities worrying about their needed roaming ranges.

Thinking about starting this new experiment going with the Atlantic Ocean from the git go.
🤔Stability is more important than EXACT numbers, so I can see, especially in the beginning, adding enough Reef Crystals,("Insert your preferred artificial salts here as desired.....I get no kick back from IO, just what I happen to use.😁"), to match the going wisdom of say 1.025-6 SG, rather than the more dilute NSW around here of about 1.0 'something something'. After another cup of joe or so, will bring in the 10 buckets I collected yesterday to do a tank cleaning this morning, and be a little more precise than the 'something something'.

But over time if'n I go through with this new adventure, I can foresee taking this to it's obvious conclusion of adding less n less salt all the time, gradually bringing it down to all NSW.

Have you over the past 100 years or so being in this hobby experimented with this yet? Seems like a heck of a waste of a perfectly good ocean out there not to play around with it. I do tend to bore easy.

See....SHORT!😁
Hack

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,773 ·
What a frightening walk I had this morning 😬 I got up in the middle of the night as I couldn't sleep. I can never sleep. So I went for a walk even though it was pitch black outside and the sun wouldn't rise for at least an hour.

I walked about half a mile and I heard this wild animal that I assumed was a bear. We normally don't have bears here on Long Island New York but there is a train that comes here.

The thing got closer and closer and now it was so close to me that even though it was to dark to see, I could smell penguins and peanut butter on his breath. I think it was Jiffy peanut butter.

All I had with me was my designer, aluminum walking stick with this sexy little strap on top and a rubber tip. I raised the stick hoping to scare the beast but the smell of the peanut butter just got stronger. Now I could hear it's stomach rumbling and I knew I was in trouble.

In the inky darkness it lunged for me and I could feel it's thick fur on my legs. (I also had sexy shorts on that my wife bought me last year)

I stabbed at him with my aluminum walking stick which just made it madder and faster.
My left hand was busy fighting the thing off with the stick while my right hand was trying to put the code in my cell phone so I could take a picture. I just changed the code last week and was having trouble with the last two digits. 7,8,,,,no,,6, 5,,,49?

I took a few pictures but they didn't come out in the dark melee.

I finally put the phone in my mouth so I could reach out with my right hand to try to poke him in the eye, but I missed and grabbed a hank of hair. I think it was his eyebrow. :oops:

I yanked as hard as I could and my hand was full of fur. The creature screamed and seemed to rear up because I could feel him brush my head as I assumed he was falling. I then heard him crawling off into the forest, defeated and broken.

He never tussled with a bald, retired, electrician I guess and he never will again.

On my way back I had to walk through that same place. I expected to see a blood trail heading off into the trees but all I saw was this little squirrel with no tail.

The squirrel was eating a jar of peanut butter. Now don't think this squirrel had anything to do with my "bear" encounter because this squirrel was eating "Peter Pan" peanut butter and not "jiffy" which smells completely different. :unsure:

If any of the pictures come out I could prove it.

·
Premium Member
25,270 Posts
What a frightening walk I had this morning 😬 I got up in the middle of the night as I couldn't sleep. I can never sleep. So I went for a walk even though it was pitch black outside and the sun wouldn't rise for at least an hour.

I walked about half a mile and I heard this wild animal that I assumed was a bear. We normally don't have bears here on Long Island New York but there is a train that comes here.

The thing got closer and closer and now it was so close to me that even though it was to dark to see, I could smell penguins and peanut butter on his breath. I think it was Jiffy peanut butter.

All I had with me was my designer, aluminum walking stick with this sexy little strap on top and a rubber tip. I raised the stick hoping to scare the beast but the smell of the peanut butter just got stronger. Now I could hear it's stomach rumbling and I knew I was in trouble.

In the inky darkness it lunged for me and I could feel it's thick fur on my legs. (I also had sexy shorts on that my wife bought me last year)

I stabbed at him with my aluminum walking stick which just made it madder and faster.
My left hand was busy fighting the thing off with the stick while my right hand was trying to put the code in my cell phone so I could take a picture. I just changed the code last week and was having trouble with the last two digits. 7,8,,,,no,,6, 5,,,49?

I took a few pictures but they didn't come out in the dark melee.

I finally put the phone in my mouth so I could reach out with my right hand to try to poke him in the eye, but I missed and grabbed a hank of hair. I think it was his eyebrow. :oops:

I yanked as hard as I could and my hand was full of fur. The creature screamed and seemed to rear up because I could feel him brush my head as I assumed he was falling. I then heard him crawling off into the forest, defeated and broken.

He never tussled with a bald, retired, electrician I guess and he never will again.

On my way back I had to walk through that same place. I expected to see a blood trail heading off into the trees but all I saw was this little squirrel with no tail.

The squirrel was eating a jar of peanut butter. Now don't think this squirrel had anything to do with my "bear" encounter because this squirrel was eating "Peter Pan" peanut butter and not "jiffy" which smells completely different. :unsure:

If any of the pictures come out I could prove it.
I guess we’ll have to take your word for it, pictures or no pictures.

·
16,599 Posts
WOW......Never mind my boring SHORT post then Pal.....Had no idea you had such a traumatic morning.
Hack
:ROFLMAO:

·
16,599 Posts
I was going to post the old 'squirrel icons' we used for missing pictures, but figured with the squirrels being a prevalent part of this, uhhhhh, encounter, THAT would seem odd.
Hack

·
16,599 Posts
🤔......BUT, then again these Eastern Grey Squirrels along our coast are notoriously aggressive and known peanut butter'vores.😁
Hack

·
16,599 Posts

Ta Da!
🤔......Hmmmmmm, obviously from a poorer trove of them...notice the 'off brand'?
Hack

4761 - 4780 of 4830 Posts