The Reef Tank banner
4741 - 4760 of 5316 Posts

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,742 ·
This morning on my beach walk I saw something I have never seen there before. No, Not Angelina Jolie.
Two deer.

We have deer all over the place and I counted 12 of them on my way to the beach, but I didn't think they could get down this loose sand hill that has 176 stairs on it. (The deer are not allowed to go down the stairs)

There are two of them here. They were down on the beach when I got down there, maybe looking for clams or amphipods which they may have seen me doing a few times. :unsure:

That hill is so steep that even ants have a hard time getting up there, but when I got closer, they went up as if they were on the escalator in Macys 34th street store at Christmas time. :giggle:

·
Administrator
20,485 Posts
Been a little quiet around here Paul......the bad hand getting in the way, or too much summer fun on the waves?
Hack

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,747 ·
Hi Hack. I have been very busy. Besides wife things my boat has big problems. About a gallon of seawater in the oil and one lifter is collapsed. I have not found the seawater "leak/crack" yet but am working on it and tomorrow I will remove the intake manifold to scrape out "mayonnaise" oil and change the lifter. Hopefully I will find a leak or crack under there.

If not, I have a rather odd plan to find or fix the crack. I don't want to tell you yet because you will definitely laugh but I am an inventor and these interesting problems keep me up at night. :cool:

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,748 ·
I finally found the source of the problem in my boat including the miss, loss of power, ticking sound and water intrusion and it is a very rare problem in a boat. It is also rare in a car unless it is a racing machine.

A valve spring is broken. It broke right near the bottom so I didn't notice it. A boat engine with a broken valve spring allows seawater to enter the engine because the exhaust valve doesn't close completely and when the piston goes down, it sucks seawater into the engine. This is something I have never seen before.

I removed the intake manifold, which I really didn't need to remove but I wanted to scrap out all the mayonnaise looking oil/water mixture. I cleaned up the manifold and lifters and ordered the spring.

We had company the day before yesterday and last night and today I took apart the engine in pouring rain. Tomorrow we are again having company and the next day so eventually, probably Thursday I can put most of the engine back together. Then when the spring comes in, I can complete it.

·
Administrator
20,485 Posts
Oooooooo......SORRY Pal!
Yeah THAT does take a little figuring to find that issue. Maybe only seen it a handful of times over the last 30 years. Nice catch! 👍
Hack

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,751 ·
So this morning I took my walk on the beach and so far in the 3+ years I have lived here this was the longest walk I did. It was 3 miles. Remember I am old and have an aluminum knee.

I started my walk and was immediately met by a friend and her spotted baby.

Deer near beach.JPG

They were so close I could have gotten them in a Ricky Nelson. (Google him)

Anyway I went down the 176 steps and started walking east.

The sun was just coming up. It was warm, about 78 degrees which is warm for 6:00am.

Walking to ark.JPG

As I walked, off in the distance I could barely make out a structure near the shore.

I was hesitant to go there because it was getting hot and now the sun started blaring.

Bright sun.JPG

It started to get hotter and I was far from any help, fresh water or an LFS.
I was thirsty even though I was drinking plenty of seawater.

I started hallucinating. "It was good to be out of the rain, in the desert, you can't remember your name for their ain't no one for to give you no pain.
I set free the horse with no name. But I named him first".

I was getting closer to my goal. Just a few hundred yards more.
Cicada's were screaming all around me and fish were jumping. Seagulls were yelling and I know they couldn't wait for me to drop dead of ich or worse, Uronoma and the fact that I was not quarantined or medicated.

Closer, closer until, until, I made it.

Full Ark.JPG

Now I could tell what it was . I am not going to say it was Noah's Ark as that would be just conjecture and I never like to conjecture.

But there were some very strong, albeit inconclusive clues as to what it was.

Close up ark.JPG

I am not sure and I am not saying this definitively, but on the stern, painted with orange acrylic paint were these words that were partially or almost completely missing most likely from being eons old.

SS NOA*H'S A*K
REG - Mo*n*t Arr*o**t Tu*key
9,223 BC
Plea*se Wat*h yo*r step
Have a nice day

·
Administrator
20,485 Posts

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,754 ·
Above. ?

So yesterday some Jiboni from my marina was putting diesel fuel in his boat, but he accidentally put 12 gallons of it into the "rod holder hole" instead of the fuel tank. Oops!

So it all went into his bilge and swirled around his engine. Instead of staying there and having someone pump it out, he took off.

This is the mouth of a river and in a few hundred yards becomes a salt water bay (Peconic Bay) then out to the Atlantic.

Either he turned on his bilge pump or it came on automatically and all that oil spread across my marina and the entire width of the river and out to sea.

My marina had a sheen on it and a strong smell of diesel oil which is very pungent. The ducks there frown on that.

Next thing I know there are maybe 15 police cars, Dept. of Environmental Conservation, Fire Marshals, Coast Guard and even Taylor Swift.

They all had their summons books out but I think Taylor Swift was writing a song about bubble gum.

When that guy comes back, he will have to take out a huge loan to cover these fines, more even that if he wanted to start a 125 gallon SPS reef. :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
20,485 Posts
I am so shocked Paul by just how often THAT happens.....fills rod holders, water tanks, waste tanks. That's why down here they made the owners/captains fill their boats as the dock attendants had issues finding the right fills.....THEN the owners did the same thing.

I will say say I have to really look hard to see how some of these are marked.

BUT THEN to leave....oh no no no......

I am shocked how boats are still allowed with the EPA.....got to be some serious bucks changing hands.
Hack

·
Administrator
61,114 Posts
Jeez you are kidding, Really you spent that much on a boat and with the price of fuel you DONT KNOW WHERE IT GOES:( I don't think you can get a powerboat license for over 14' with out taking a state marine board class and test

·
Administrator
20,485 Posts
NOPE! Just a 8 hr. class for a 'SAFE BOATERS COURSE'. And no where on there does it ask you if'n you can spell GAS, WATER, WASTE, or identify a ROD HOLDER.
Hack

·
Administrator
20,485 Posts

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,760 ·
I don't think my rod holder hole has a sign on it that reads "No Fuel In Here". But I have seen that happen once before with gas.
The guy in front of me at a gas dock had a large boat, maybe 45'. He had a few people sitting in the large back area as he was filling the boat with gas.
All of a sudden I heard the people scream as they found out he was putting gas in the rod holder and it filled up the back of the boat with gas. It didn't go in the bilge but on the deck under the people's chairs.

Another time about 15 years ago we were heading to the gas dock and was about 100 yards away. A large wooden boat was filling with gas and all of a sudden there was a huge explosion.
That entire boat flew in the air about 10' along with the people.

The dock was ablaze in fire as was the remains of the boat.
The people were air lifted to a hospital and I doubt they survived. The boat was lifted into the parking lot and it was just a large wooden keel about 44' long and it had two engines attached to it. Nothing else was attached to the boat. The superstructure just disintegrated.

In another minute I would have been docked behind him with my wife and young Daughter.

4741 - 4760 of 5316 Posts