The Reef Tank banner
4721 - 4740 of 4744 Posts

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,721 ·
Aging

As I've aged, I've become kinder to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend. I have seen too many dear friends leave this world, too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it, if I choose to read, or play on the computer until 4 AM, or sleep until noon? I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 50, 60 and 70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love, I will.

I will walk the beach, in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves, with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set. They too, will get old.

I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And, I eventually remember the important things.

Sure, over the years, my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break, when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet passes? But, broken hearts are what give us strength, and understanding, and compassion. A heart never broken, is pristine, and sterile, and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.

As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore. I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer your question, I like being old . It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day (if I feel like it).

MAY OUR FRIENDSHIP NEVER COME APART, ESPECIALLY WHEN IT'S STRAIGHT FROM THE HEART!

As TO GETTING OLDER, went for my first "in person" 6 month checkup yesterday, the nurse (who looked to be at least 18yrs old) said " You have the prettiest white hair". Told her Thank You, I've had a lot of GOOD Times getting it.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,724 ·
Fantastic day on the boat yesterday with 2 other couples. My wife was leary about going out because I have had a lot of boat problems in the last 2 weeks. Distributor caps, rotors, plugs, coils, then a few days ago it wouldn't start, just a big clank. I broke my cardinal rule and let the marina change the starter because this old body just wouldn't squeeze under the engine to do it.

Then I checked the oil and noticed it was 4 quarts overfilled OOOOOOooooNNNNNNNooo.
The only way that could happen is if, "One" I am senile and changed the oil but forgot to remove the old oil, or TWO, if it wasn't oil at all, but seawater. o_O

Good news, I am not senile, bad news, it's seawater. AAAAArrrrrrrrrrrr. That could mean a few things, none good.

I removed one of the four exhaust manifolds and there was a big hole in it so seawater, which is supposed to remain in the sea was filling my engine. :(

That left two things to do, #1, drain the oil/seawater mixture and use it for water changes in my tank, or #2, change the manifolds.

I had people coming out the next morning and it was already 3:00. I asked the marina mechanic to do it and he gave me an estimate of almost $6,000.00 and he needs two weeks to do it.

AAAAAAahhhhhhhhh That ain't going to happen. TWO weeks. :eek:

I speed to the boat parts store and dump $1,200.00 for the manifolds for one engine. I didn't think I was going to do this today so I had to borrow tools.

I had that manifold changed in 2 hours and changed the oil. I then go to start the engine and I hear......

CLICK.

I then remembered my first cardinal rule, never let anyone work on your boat, house ,car or change your kidney.

The kid didn't tighten up the wires on the starter. Of course he didn't. He was still there so I grabbed him by the collar and stuffed him back under my engine to tighten up the wires.

Started it up and it purred like Cat woman from Batman.
Now I have 3 more of them to change but all is well again. :p

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,725 ·
Just some parts I changed. Now I only have three more sets like this to do this week so I don't lose any days of boating.

·
Shark..but a friendly one
15,967 Posts
I HATE BOATS! Well, except for pay, day when I get to take the money from 'senile old people'. 😉
Marine mechanic

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,728 ·
So after I changed that manifold on my boat, I was filthy so I took a shower.
When I was a kid and took a bath or shower I used soap. It was a bar and it was brown and smelled like soap.

My wife buys our "soap", toothpaste, towels, sheets, and all of that stuff so when I looked at my new "soap" I notice that now we don't use bars of soap. We use liquid stuff in a fancy plastic bottle and the stuff I have now is called "Suave, Milk and honey".

Oddly enough for breakfast I had oatmeal with milk and honey but I didn't feel the need to take a shower with it. I would like "soap".

I read the ingredients, the ones I could read on this "Milk and Honey" soap, or "body wash" and I couldn't find anything that resembled milk or honey. I also couldn't find any mention of "soap".

There were about 25 or 30 chemicals probably including Prizapro, GAC, Hydrogen Peroxide, Quinicrine something, blue something, green something, hexocloridineasphering something, Chloroflorididenachinexhaun, sulfide, REO Speedwagon, etc.

But no soap.

What happened to soap?

When I used to say a bad word, my Mother would wash out my mouth with real soap. Now the stuff probably has Agent Orange and Diet Pepsi in it and it will kill you or at the least, turn you into a Liberal. :confused: (not that there is anything wrong with that) ;)

So I don't know what this new "soap" costs but the fancy plastic bottle will sit in a land fill for 20,000 years. :rolleyes:

·
15,967 Posts
YUP........Use to be......1 tooth paste, and it didn't hang from the bathroom mirror, and have to shove your tooth brush into THAT hole.......1 soap, and it was a bar.....I've always just used soap for my hair, but you outa see how many bottles of shampoos and conditioners, and whachmijiggers that line our shower.......I fear for my saftey at times Pal.
Hack
:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
47,009 Posts
When I worked in the steel mill I used Lava hand soap to remove all the coke and lime dust that gets every where, Jeff will know what I mean

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,731 ·
I also used to use Lava soap when I was a mechanic. It was probably made out of soap and liquid volcano's and was great stuff. I don't even know if they still sell it but I am going to google it right now.

As a kid all toothpastes also came in a metal tube. Probably lead. :oops:

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,732 ·
This was from a year ago:

Growing up in the fiftees.
I decided to write this because this morning we face timed our Grand Daughter who has just about anything you can imagine and is bored out of her head.
Because of Covid they had to leave their apartment in the West Village in Manhattan and go to their other home on a mountain in Vermont where they have a small pool, pool table, ping pong table, Pin Ball machine, trampoline, ATVs, (along with hundreds of acres of woods with trails) snowmobiles, A swimming pond, rope swing etc.
Anyway:
I never thought we were poor, I grew up in Queens New York but I was born in Brooklyn near Coney Island.
In those days we didn't get allowances, had no computers, cell phones, tablets or just about anything else. We also played outside no matter what the weather was like because "if" you had a TV, it was tiny and of course black and white. There was one or two shows on like The Ed Sullivan show which was a variety show where they would get "talanted" people that would sing, dance or ballance dishes on their nose.
There was sort of "Color" TV but that was a curved piece of glass that you would hang in front of the black and white TV. It was tinted blue near the top and green near the bottom so if you were watching a scene which was in a grassy field, it looked really cool, but any other scene just looked rediculous. We didn't have one of those but if you did, I would imagine you would keep watching "The Sound of Music" which had a lot of singing out in the grass.
I do remember seeing Elvis Presley on there in his first public appearence. That was the extent of our indoor entertainment and remember, there was no air conditioning.

My "Fish Tank" was the bottom of a wine barrel or an enameled basin which I kept turtles, tadpoles, minnows, and newts that I would catch in streams.
There were no fish stores but there were toy stores and fish would be sold there and called "Toy Fish". They had guppies, mollys, swordtails and little else. Occasionally they would have a crawfish. Eventually dry food was sold by Wardley and were dried flies and ants. .
One day I heard my Mother scream, I ran there and saw here standing there holding a broom. My crawfish got out and was walking across the kitchen floor. She thought it was a mouse and squashed it.
My Dad had a fish small fish market in Jackson Heights and my Mom didn't drive. She would wait with me for the bus and then tell the bus driver to let me off in front of my Dad's fish market which was about a 45 minute bus ride. I would go by myself and sit behind the driver when I was probably 5 or 6 years old and the driver would stop the bus in front of the store (which was not even on a bus stop) and watch me go in. (Today, they would put your Mother in jail) Remember cell phones were decades away.
The fish and meat stores in those days had a thick layer of sawdust on the floor and at night they would sweep it up and put on new sawdust. It would collect the fish scales and guts.
(Today, because of lawyers, you can't do that)
I would pile up the sawdust and make a fort. Then I would take live blueclaw crabs and live lobsters and put them down and ty to make them fight. Lobsters can't really walk out of water but crabs run fast. I had a toy metal cannon and I would shoot tooth picks at the poor crabs.
(there was no plastic and toys were metal)
I would also lay some dead sardines in there for effect.
I had other toys in the fish store like rubber bands and I would shoot flies. I would feed the flies to my newts and turtles. Sometimes my Dad would give me a piece of wood, a hammer and nails and I would spend hours banging in the nails and pulling them out.
Occasionally I would ask my dad for a nickel. He would always give it to me but I had to work for it like maybe shine his shoes which entailed about 30 minutes of removing large fish scales, then shining them. After he inspected them I would take that nickel to the toy store on the corner next to the firehouse and buy some gum or caps that I used to "shoot off' with a rock.
I walked to school which was only about 5 blocks away and when my shoes would get holes in them, I would get linoleum (which was flooring) from abandoned buildings and houses and put pieces of that in my shoes. When it wore out, I would get another piece.
(My Daughter doesn't believe we did that, but it was common practice)
Someone gave me a baby chicken and in a few weeks it grew to full size. Once, the thing followed me to school and the Principal had to call my Mother to come and pick it up.
Another thing I remember about grammar school. The teacher called my Mother to school and told her I couldn't read and they were going to leave me back. I was a prolific reader and my Mother knew it so she took me and the Encyclopedia (big history text book like Google but you couldn't update it) to school.
The teacher and Principal were there and my Mother told me to open the book to any page and read it. I opened the book and started to read about President Eisenhower, (who was the President at the time)
The teacher asked my why I wouldn't read in school. I said those kids books were silly.
After that, they made me a reading tutor for kids who couldn't read.
Linoleum was a great find because we also used it in our "Zip" guns which was a piece of wood with nail in one end and a clothes pin in the other end. You stretched a rubber band from the nail to the clothespin and put a piece of linoleum in the rubber band. When you pushed on the clothes pin to open it, the linoleum would fly maybe 50'.
We had a large group of friends and once we dug an underground fort in an empty lot. It was probably 5' deep and topped with logs, then trees grew on it.
It filled with rain water and we forgot about it for many years. We remembered it when they were building a Supermarket there and a bulldozer backed over it and fell in. They had to get a crane toget it out.
We always had money because we were street smart. Main Street was about two or three miles away and we would take bubble gum, a sting and fishing sinker. You lower the weight through the subway grates down about 12' to pick up coins.
Those grates were to supply air to the trains below and they were usually on bus stops. The bus fare was 15 cents so people used to drop money there.
You could make a couple of bucks in an hour and the movies were only 75cents.
After we would collect all the change we would pick up empty bottles at horseshoe courts and take them back to the stores for the two cents.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,733 ·
I have been getting tired from walking the same places so this morning I drove West about a mile away to the same beach where I live, but a little farther than I have ever gone. I actually collect my water here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I need to go to the dentist. I have 9 tooth implants, yes 9, I could be the poster child for implants. In Viet Nam I had a tooth ache, so they sent me to a semi rear area where the guy pulled my tooth, a few days later I had the same toothache and it was back on another helicopter to the same guy who said, "Oh, it must be this tooth" and he pulled that one. So I had two spaces and when I got out of the army they paid for a bridge. Bridges only last so many years and they destroy the teeth they are anchored to so I needed a couple of more implants, and they don't do them for free. I mean it is an 8 minute procedure with 25 cents worth of titanium and each one is like 3 grand. Even if the implant was made out of diamonds and 4 Supermodels held your hand during the procedure and stayed with you until the pain went away and they performed it on Broadway while they were showing "Phantom of the Opera" it shouldn't cost that much. OK maybe only 3 Supermodels and they are showing Cats. But you are stuck and it is what it is. (although my dentist does have some almost supermodels working there which almost makes it worthwhile)
So I have one place where there are 2 implants (thanks to the army) and there are 3 crowns on it. That makes it a cantilever and the end tooth doesn't have any support so the thing gets loose every 6 months. I want the DDS to put a screw in the tooth farthest from the end that has no support but he says he is afraid the screw will break. If I could stand to hear myself scream, and I had a drill small enough I would fix it myself because, to me, it is a no brainer. But that is what college does to you, it takes away your creativity and forces you to only think inside the box. I don't like boxes and find these things just stupid.
Sorry to hear that about tooth implants... Please must use the best retainer for teeth to protect your teeth. It is very necessary for you.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,735 ·
It was very foggy for my beach walk this morning.

Foggy steps.jpeg

I made it to the steps but couldn't even tell where the sea began and the sand ended.

Foggy beach.jpeg

I walked and walked and did find, as usual a stranded horseshoe crab with his tail sticking straight up.

I didn't take a picture because I waste so much film on those guys and I figured he was dead because of the flies and the horde of seagulls standing around him.

I gently kicked him and to my amazement the thing was still alive. In the millions of years these things have been alive you would think that just once they would look down at their legs and realize they don't have feet and those points at the ends of their legs don't work for walking on land so they need to stay in the water. It is not really my job every morning to save them :oops:

I gingerly put him back in the water where he waved his tail at me and kind of made it into deeper water where he will probably get eaten by a walrus.

A short while later I found a full can, really a plastic container of freshly shucked clams. Now I am sure I am feeding my fish the correct thing because thats exactly what they eat in the sea. :)

There was even an almost brand new stainless steel scissors next to it which of course I took as most fish don't have thumbs to use them anyhow.

I walked and walked and I was soaked because it was so foggy.

But the best thing is to follow and will blow the minds off of scientists world over.

I kept going and it was getting foggier and foggier. I could barely make out the stairs at the end of my journey.

I plodded through,closer and closer and when I could barely make out the steps.

I noticed something out of the corner of my eye.

OMG.

Could it be!!!!!!

Yes.

Right in front of me, a few steps away I saw it.

The Loch Ness Unicorn.

Nessie.jpeg

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,736 ·
Before the sun went down it was very hot so I got this huge, 7' beach umbrella to put on the back of my boat for shade. I think everyone was jealous.

As the show was in full swing I blasted "God Bless America" from my boat speakers as did some other boats and the small floating "barge" restaurant at the marina.

After that all the boats blew their horns to wake up all the horseshoe crabs sleeping under docks. (The crabs hate that) 😬

The boats were decorated in Christmas lights or just colored lights and it was a great night.

Of course we are old and had to leave right after the show to go to sleep. 😔

Not long ago we would have stayed there all night. But if you are lucky, you Whippersnappers will get there.

My photo hosting service is down now so make believe below this are pictures of me in my boat with Angelina Jolie along with 27 other people dancing and doing cartwheels while fireworks are exploding in a display larger than the start of the Chinese Olympics on the opening day and Circ de Solei are hanging over the boat on trapezes hung from hot air balloons carrying bald eagles singing the National Anthem to the sound of Harp music. 🥳

·
15,967 Posts
Oooooooo.......PRETTY! 😁
Hack

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,738 ·
Thanks. My book made another $500.00 which I will donate to the National MS Society in my wife's name. I will post the receipt from them when I get it which may be 2 months. :biggrin:

The orange moon early this morning.

·
15,967 Posts
Hey Paul! That was the 'moon' this morning? I called my Family out last night to see it around 8'ish..🤔..appeared only about 1/2 full.....BUT BRIGHT ORANGE, almost RED.....was awesome! Great picture buy the way. 👍
Hack

4721 - 4740 of 4744 Posts