The Reef Tank banner

4681 - 4696 of 4696 Posts

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,681 ·
Thanks Hack. There were quite a few people there and it was far from his house. I live 10 minutes from the cemetery. They did the Navy Honors for him and of course presented his wife, Sue with the flag. She was very "upset" but I helped her and even made her laugh.
Tommy was so funny so I had plenty of stories. He was here almost every day when I moved in helping me paint and carry stuff in, build shelves, collect water for my tank etc.

Over the years we helped each other with our boats, removing the outdrives every year to bring home, change the oil, repairs etc.
I have a big empty part in my life without him because he was a big part.
His wife still comes over and sleeps here because we had so much fun over the years.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,682 ·
If it ever stops raining here I would like to change some water. I don't remember changing any since last summer and I don't want to read back through my posts to figure out when it was. I am not a big water change person and it probably almost never has to be changed but I just feel it should be done eventually. :)

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,683 ·
I just finished a new lamp. This is made out of a solid brass locomotive oiler from the 1850s. It incorporates a firebulb and two ultraviolet, glowing glass tubes.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,685 ·
Beautiful day here in Long Island today so I collected 40 gallons of water behind my house.
The alk was 7 and the temp was 40. I didn't test calcium but the salinity is 1.016.
It is crystal clear so I don't have to do anything to it except warm it up and maybe add some salt.

·
Shark..but a friendly one
15,477 Posts
Any police officers that don't know any better chase you off the beach this time Paul? I know I'm well past due for a visit to the ocean myself around here.......got busy at work already helping others with their boats, and haven't had time to hit the water myself.

Seems to me your Alk is a little higher than mine was this last time......perhaps 2-3 months ago? But the SG sounds about right......,always have to throw a CUP of high test in the buckets to make the 'number gurus' happy.
Hack

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,687 ·
Hi Hack. No police chased me today. This particular beach is way off the beaten trail and I had a hard time finding it. It's not really a beach just a small piece of shore between some houses.
The beach behind my house is in the far background. But I have to go down 176 steps to get there so carrying water or just about any thing else is out of the question. I was a little worried about getting stuck in the loose sand after I collected water because 40 gallons of water is probably 500 lbs. But I made it out no problem. :)

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,688 ·
Very busy today.; I am cutting out large pieces of encrusting sponges to eliminate. Much of my reef is blue sponge which looks nice but it takes up most of the real estate. I found 2 big bottles that I totally forgot about because they were fully taken over and covered. I opened up quite a few passages through the rock but I will never eliminate it or even a quarter of it as it is an ongoing job but I never removed this much.

I have my diatom filter running because it is making so much clouds that I can't see what I am doing. I also have to wear 2 pairs of gloves or else my fireclown will take my hand off. :confused:

·
15,477 Posts
.......Oh the crosses that we bare.....

If'n I weren't so lazy, and detest driving past the river so much, I'd be sitting on the curb waiting for you to take out the trash Paul.

A few years ago I purchased a couple pieces of Orange Sponge ON-LINE.....still got 1, the other.....went somewhere? No bigger, but I haven't killed it yet neither. Pretty old thing.
Hack

·
15,477 Posts
....yeah, I cry every time I hear you're heading to the curb.
Hack
😭

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,692 ·
My good deed last week was rewarded. Last week as a van in front of me was pulling away and I noticed a wad of hundred dollar bills on his back bumper with a phone. I banged on the side of the truck and gave it to the driver who was very appreciative.

Yesterday my wife and I was in a diner for breakfast. As we left and got in my car, the busboy came running out of the place yelling for us to stop.

He handed me some bills. My wife left her money on the table because I asked her for change of a five. There was over a hundred dollars there.

Good deeds get rewarded. :)

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,693 ·
I took a nice walk this morning (in the rain) and I can't wait for the day I can put my winter coat away. I live about 90 yards from the sea and in the early morning it is cold and damp.
Sunrise.jpg

Due to the dampness, there are earthworms all over the streets. Of course I picked up a couple and threw them in my tank. The fish came right over to inspect, especially my copperband but the worm was to big for him to eat and copperbands don't really have teeth like Great White sharks so he didn't eat it. But the anemones really enjoy earthworms.

I am very happy about the health of my tank and each fish kind of "exudes" health. Every scale shines and healthy fish usually have iridescent tinges of color that you don't often see on many captive fish and we often forget that healthy fish are supposed to exhibit that tinge.
Gobi.JPG

(This little 1" gobi and his friend has been with me for a few years now)

These 6 lines you can never get a good picture of as they never slow down and spend a lot of time spawning or looking for each other.
That green patch on his tail glows in the light as does the iridescent blue on his pectoral fins.

6 Line.JPG

Even my corals are very colorful and I don't have the kind of corals that are supposed to be very colorful. There are small places on almost all my (SPS) corals that have small tufts of algae growing out from them but this is completely normal and it is on all corals in the sea. You don't see it there because of the tangs. It is from the tiny tube worms that sprout from small patches and algae grows on the sides of their stems. (I don't photoshop because I really don't know how to :confused:)

Pink coral.JPG

I realize I don't have any of those really brilliant colored corals that so many people successfully keep here. I used to have montipora all over the tank but almost all of it was covered in sponge and very little remains.
coral.JPG

hammer (2).JPG

This guy doesn't know he is supposed to eat algae and never has.
Hoppo.JPG

I have not bought any corals in this house and got them all as tiny frags way before I can remember so I have no idea how old any of them are. Most probably came as very tiny pieces that accidentally got with the fish as I don't remember ever buying a coral. (but I am old and don't remember much. Where am I) :unsure: That Hammer is about 8" wide and I fragged it 4 times. For some reason it will only grow on the left side of my tank and slowly dies on the right side. This is interesting and I wish I knew why as it is only one aspect of reefing that we don't understand. My 3 lights are the same and the only difference is that the right side of the tank has a huge powerhead which provides most of the circulation. I don't get it but my SPS all grow better on the right side of the tank.

Gorgonians grow like weeds and will probably grow in my sock drawer.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,694 ·
Today my knee isn't working and I had to many cortizone shots already as it is coming out of my ears. I need another new knee but I can't get one because I can't be laid up that long so I am nursing it as much as I can.

Of course I put that heating salve stuff all over it as everyone does even though we all know that doesn't do anything except make you smell like a forest.
So to save money, I now just hang those little "Christmas Tree" car fresheners all around my knee in the hope that it fools my knee to just do what it is supposed to do. :unsure:

·
15,477 Posts
You're an utter genius Paul.......The money I can now save by buying those 'dollar store' air fresheners will save me a fortune! And my doctor will take one whiff of me, that is when he again decides to see us in person, and think I am following his orders. Absolute genius!
Hack

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,696 ·
Thanks. That reminds me of a story. We were building a 60 story office building in Manhattan and we were having a big job meeting with all the main people. Owners, foreman's etc. (I was the electrician foreman) The plumbing foreman was this huge man, 6' 4", with a beard, Harley, tattoos and everything else that made him a formidable human being.

Someone at the meeting got up to complain that the diesel trucks coming into the 1st floor of the New construction job was making diesel fumes throughout the building.

So this big Plumbing foreman stood up holding one of those Christmas tree air fresheners and said.
"Maybe we should just hang there all around the job for the fumes" 😅

4681 - 4696 of 4696 Posts