The Reef Tank banner

4621 - 4640 of 4696 Posts

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,621 ·
I got a Covid shot for my wife yesterday at Walgreens but OMG I never seen people work so slow in my life. Her appointment was for 1:00. We got there a little early at 12:30 because we don't exactly live across the street.
There was an older guy there giving someone a shot and were were next. The guy giving the shot gets up and leaves. He didn't say anything to us and there was no one else there.

We are waiting like 20 minutes and I see someone working there so I asked her whats up?

She told me "He went to lunch". He didn't see me standing 3' from him for half an hour and he couldn't tell us he was going to lunch. I thought maybe he went outside to sell his car or start a flash mob while singing the theme song from Dr. Zhivago.

Then he came back and it was about 1:15 so he is 15 minutes late. Maybe he had a little gas and wanted to digest.
I watched him and I never saw anyone move so slow. He finally started to fill the needle at 2:00.
At 2:15 he finished filling the needle. Maybe you have to fill it one drop at a time.

Then he started carrying the needle towards us, closer,,,,closer,,,,one step at a time,,,Then he turned around and went back behind the counter.
Maybe he got an offer on his car.....

At 2:30 he slowly, and I mean slowly started to walk back. This time I walked next to him in case he fell.

He sat down and asked my wife some questions like her birthday which was on the form in his hand that I filled out last week.

He lifted the needle and aimed it at my wife's arm and,,,and,,,My wife asks him a question. I said NNNNNnnnnnnoooooooo. Forget that. Just give her the shot..........

He wants to answer the question.
3:15 we were on our way home so it only took about 3 hours for a 15 second shot. You younger people will be in the 75 year old range when they get around to giving you the shot. :oops:

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,622 ·
This frogspawn grew a lot this year and it is to close to the front glass so I can't clean behind it. I am going to push back the entire center of the reef to give it more room. I am not loving this idea. :oops:

Reef.JPG

·
Administrator
46,728 Posts
Hey Paul, I hear that depth charges are really quick ways to frag corals ;)
How you and the missus doing?

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,624 ·
Hi Doug. I am great but she is having a lot of pain from Trigeminal Neuralgia (the suicide pain) It comes and goes and is just a part of the MS that some, but not all people get.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,625 ·
SPOTS. Oh NNNooooooo,,,, Spots. It's horrible.

No not on my fish, don't be silly my fish are immune. I took my new Jeep to breakfast with my main squeeze and from all the snow there is ice all over my windows and the car is just full of spots. Most of them are salt and I can't just wipe it off because it will scratch and it is to cold to use the hose. :p

The two fish I added last week are fine. The long nose butterfly is best friends with my copperband but the filefish seems to be a loner. He loves picking on the mulm at the sides and back of the tank. :)

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,626 ·
Good Morning, I hope everybody is safe. Being I am a Geezer I got my second Covid Vaccine shot today and to test it out I went to my Daughters house in Manhattan and licked the subway handrails.

But don't do that.

:unsure:

·
Administrator
46,728 Posts
Sorry to hear she is in such pain Paul:( Good to hear you got vaccinations, still waiting here.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,628 ·
Thanks Doug. Like most diseases this one sucks. She is laying down now because the extra medication she is taking makes her sick so she has to decide if she wants to be in pain or sick.

I don't know why they can't make these things last longer. I just had to replace the fan on the left. I don't know how long it wasn't working but you can see that it is much cleaner then the one on the right so maybe it never worked.
I have a few of these broken lights so I have a nice supply of fans.

I had to add a new fan but also the wiring to the fan didn't work so I just had to splice the new fan to the old one.
It's not a big deal but shouldn't happen.

View attachment 2041374

Attachments

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,630 ·
This post was from 2016 and I decided to put it on here again because I ran out of things to write and I don't feel creative enough to make something up and besides, this is a true story.

So I had an appointment today with a Supermodel from the Veterans Administration. They are seeing if I have PTSD. I don't think so but I went anyway because she is a Supermodel.

She spoke to me for 45 minutes and asked me things from when I was born. I was born on Christmas Day so I probably was not paying much attention to my birth as I wanted to open my presents. Then I grew up, worked, made money, cut cars up with a torch yada yada yada. Got drafted and al that. She asked me what I did in the army before I went to Nam. I told her the Jeep story.

I am sure that story is on here someplace but I am bored now so I will tell it again. If you are bored, don't read this because there are no fish in it.

I was in Colorado, beautiful State but they have a lot of open spaces and the military owns much of it. We were supposed to play war games so this lieutenant says to me, load these two miles of wire on the back of the Jeep and we are going to lay it out to someplace that I never figured out. It was freezing cold and looked like it was going to snow.
Army Jeeps have no roof and army clothes are not very warm. So we drive out in the dark into the wilderness laying out this wire. It starts snowing. In Colorado it could snow 2' in an hour.

An hour later I am covered in 2' of snow in this Jeep and we have no idea where we are. General Patten says to me that he is going to climb on top of this little mountain to see if he sees any lights.
I said, good Idea because we are gonna die.

He leaves and I hear "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.
I was a kid from New York so I don't know if that is a wolf, coyote, Bigfoot or a chip monk.
I grab my rifle, the rifle with no bullets and I climb on to the Jeep hood. I held the gun by the barrel waiting for Chip and Dale to attack me.

I hear the Lieutenant coming back. he has a 45, with no bullets and says he has no Idea where we are.
I say, how about this, I will walk in front of the Jeep and pick up the wire as I go so we can either find our way back or die of frostbite and Bigfoot bites.
That's what we did and that's how I came to be here today looking at my fish. :rolleyes:

My next session with the Supermodel we will talk about my time in Nam and maybe I will tell her another story. :D

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Ok, mid summer in the Philippines. I’m walking across a big field across from our squadron buildings. Where I’m going I have no clue. Probably just out for a walk to clear my head after several days of planning for a 3 week deployment with an Army Reserve Unit that’s flown in from the States.

Up drives this beater of a car and the driver yells at me (USAF SSgt) to come over to his car. And ya, it’s an USA 1st LT. First words out of his mouth are something along the line of “Don’t you salute officers”. Second words were along the line of stand at attention, ya da ya da. So he braced me for a couple of minutes and pointed out all of the things wrong with the Air Force. Mind you were on an AF Base at the moment.

So after an *** chewing that I was doing my best not to giggle at (Marine Corps LTCol are much better at that. Don‘t ask how I know.) comes the question. “Sgt Moss, where’s the chow hall?”. Now I’m no dummy and I really don’t want to give him inaccurate information. So I explain that I don’t eat at the chow hall (true statement) and I don’t know it’s location. To be honest, I wasn’t sure if it was 600’ or 610’ directly behind me at the time. Better safe than sorry, right?

Fast forward to mid afternoon. We’re at the predeployment brief. My unit is in charge of all the air assets (cargo aircraft) and the landing zones. For us, it’s a pretty small movement of so I’m in charge on the AF side. Well the Army Col in charge of the overall operation calls the LT ya, the same one from earlier, up to the stage to introduce him as the commander for the Army portion of the move. Now he (the Col) goes on to tell the LT that the AF side is being run by a lowly AF SSgt, but that all “suggestions” from the lowly AF SSgt should be considered orders as if from the Col’s mouth. And he pulls me up to the stage.

I thought the LT was going to crap himself. Took a day or two on the deployment before the LT stopped standing at attention when I’d walk up and he only saluted me a couple of times by accident. But by the end of the trip, we had gotten to be buddies.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,634 ·
I love those stories. I got another one.
On a firebase in Nam we needed a pick up truck to take the expended 105 Howitzer shells out to the tree line to dump. (all solid brass, tons of them, I wish I had them now) and we also wanted to dump the garbage there so my Capt asked me to go to this semi rear area and get one.

My friend flew me there in a small LOH helicopter and it was on top of a steep mountain called Nui Ba Din (spelling is most likely wrong)

My "friend" told me to get the truck and weigh it then see this guy from the Air Force and he would fill the truck with 3.2 beer but don't tell the Chinook helicopter crew what was in the truck or I would have to split it with them.

So now the truck has a thousand lbs of beer in it under a tarp that the pilot doesn't know about. About 20 of us get on the Chinook.
Maybe this one.

And we take off. As I said it was a high mountain with a steep cliff. Right after we were airborn, we started to lose altitude. The door gunners were frantically trying to release the lever that held the truck and I was yelling at them that that was my truck and I needed it.

Finally the truck released but we were to low and the front rotor hit the bamboo and we gently fell into a rice paddy. The truck was about half a mile away.

We hiked up the mountain and I called my pilot friend from a radio and told him, "we have a problem!"

He said stay there and he would come get me in that small Loh helicopter.

We made three trips that night in his Loh in the dark to get all that beer out of that truck because we didn't think we could pay for that Chinook Helicopter.

Then we all had hot beer for a week. :cool:

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,638 ·
From 2010

I am lucky enough to live on an island surrounded by water that is also full of Islands and all of my life my favorite thing to do is to wander around at low tide in a tide pool.
Yesterday I did just that all by myself. My wife and I went out in our boat to relax and get away from a hectic week and while she read a book in the boat, I took the dinghy to shore to be alone with my friends.
Most of those friends have shells, antenna, fins or feathers.

As I rowed to shore daydreaming I was distracted by the oars hitting the sand and mud of the bay bottom.
I put on the insect repellent (because bugs are not my friends) and I started walking in the tide pool which is about 100 yards across and is composed of mud areas, sand areas, weedy areas and shallow water.

I Pulled the inflatable dingy up on a sandy area and walked through the stream of seawater that feeds the pool.
The first thing I came across was blue claw crabs mating. They were huge and did not appreciate me disturbing them. There were many of them all with the same idea of chasing me away. I don't blame them but they should have gotten a room.

When ever I come across a piece of wood or discarded part of a boat or pier I lift it to see what is living below.
If the object is stuck to the bottom I know there will be nothing living there because of the lack of oxygen it will just be black mud full of stinking hydrogen sulfide. Most heavy objects sink in the mud and that is what happens, but if the object is not too flat and not stuck in the bottom I know it will be just full of life. When you lift an object like that there are dozens of crabs running away, mostly Japanese Shore crabs that took over the native green crabs that are now completely gone. After the mud clears you find huge worms and sometimes clams.
Large amphipods will be jumping from the lifted object to my arm and everywhere else.
Occasionally you see an eel or two dart out.

I always replace the object before I move on. The next area is just filled with oysters and you really can't walk without shoes. The pool shrinks down to about 20 feet across and goes under a road. In that 50' long tunnel with a barnacle covered cement floor you find more blue claw crabs that can't get away or dig in. They just threaten you with their claws as they scamper left and right. The tunnel ends at the other side of the road and becomes fresh water as that is a spill basin for a large lake that emptys here into the sea.

Sometimes you see freshwater turtles resting in the cement spillway that is about 5' high.
Walking back under the road you notice mussels stuck all over the walls covered in barnacles as everything in the Sound is.
I return back to my dinghy on the opposite side of the pool. This side has very low sand dunes that stay wet and are covered in marsh grass. The place is full of 1/2" to 1" wide holes in the sand that are homes to fiddler crabs. If you look ahead about 15' you see the males out of their holes holding up their large claw signaling to the females. I walk through a small salt water stream that leads to a marshy area. Here is where I call horseshoe crab city. The place is just full of tiny newborn horseshoe crabs some just barely visible.

They spend their time plowing through the fine mud which is perfect for them as the tiny crabs can't yet push the relatively heavier sand.
You can't venture too far into horseshoe crab city because a few steps in and you will sink up to your knees in a sticky ooze that will steal your shoes.
Walking back I look up and there is the resident Osprey in a high man made nest. That is a sea eagle that "guards" the place and is awe inspiring to see catch a large fish and carry it back to feed his chicks.

I get to my inflatable and walk out into deeper water all the while starring through the shallow water to see if I missed anything. I did. I count about a dozen hermit crabs and they make me smile because they disappeared from this area years ago and I have not seen any in a long time. They are always running and remind me of when I took the Subway to Manhattan for so many years. I pick up a few just to say hello then put them back. In a few seconds, they turn over and start running again. Then must stay in great shape with all that running.
I row back to the boat to find my wife smiling at me because she knows I am at my happiest after I spend my time with such good friends

·
Shark..but a friendly one
15,476 Posts
That time a year will be here before we know it Paul......HAPPY HUNTING!
Hack

4621 - 4640 of 4696 Posts