The Reef Tank banner
2401 - 2420 of 5316 Posts

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,401 ·
As I was feeding the fish tonight I noticed a pipefish that I thought I lost a couple of weeks ago. It is a very plain looking pipe that crawls around the bottom like a dragon faced pipe. I got him at Aquarium Village my favorite store.

He is crawling around hunting, and apparently finding pods

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
33,718 Posts
Years ago I was really into old cameras. I would buy every rollieflex I could find. I also had some really nice 8X10 cameras.

Well I started with this but couldn't find out where to put the batteries so I switched to a Canon Power Shot SX20 is.
I am getting it but am working on setting multiple settings at the same time which is a little confusing.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,408 ·
Maybe. The LFS I got him from has been out of business for about 20 years. I bought him because as a baby I thought it was a red hawk fish. His mate is 17 and they are still spawning.
Here they are recently spawning

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Maybe. The LFS I got him from has been out of business for about 20 years. I bought him because as a baby I thought it was a red hawk fish. His mate is 17 and they are still spawning.
Here they are recently spawning
Those guys need to get a room :)

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,411 · (Edited)
Those guys need to get a room.
Paul, you are an enigma. :)
I thought you said Enema. :doh:

Seanj, fish 20 years ago were the same as today. Here is an article I wrote about the history of the hobby http://www.saltwatersmarts.com/brief-history-saltwater-aquarium-hobby-3213/

Corals were slowly available but I forget exactly when they were sold. You could get fish from 1971 but in those days it was only dominoes, blue devils and sargent majors. Then they started to bring in tangs, angels, copperbands and oddly enough Moorish Idols.
Here is my tank Circa 1972. In 1979 I transferred it all to it's present 100 gallon tank when I moved to this house. The corals in that tank are dead. That's what we used to decorate a tank with and you bought it in a furniture store because it was used for decoration. Most of it I collected in the Caribbean and bleached it in the hotel room before I carried it home on my lap on the plane. Today, they just shoot you if you tried that. The blue devils in that tank lived for 7 years and spawned multiple times. I have pictures of their eggs. That dolomite gravel is still in my tank, I just added more.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,416 ·
Just after Thanksgiving I had a hand operation. If you worked construction for 40 years and your joints still work, you didn't work hard enough. One finger (the one I use to point at Supermodels) was becoming stuck in the bent position so I went in to have it fixed. They "fixed" my knee at the same time. Well, the knee surgery didn't do anything and neither did the hand surgery. If I see a Supermodel now, I will have to point with my foot or chin.
The surgeon sent me for hand therapy and all that. Even the Supermodel in the therapists office massaging my hand couldn't fix it so I went in today to see a "different" surgeon. This guy only does hands. The other guy did arms, legs, ears, teeth and anything that ails you so I figure I would go to a guy who only does hands.
The nurse comes in and asks me all the silly questions, things like "Do you use your right hand much?" and "what do you use it mostly for?" "how soon would you like it fixed?". I said, "I don't have to comb my hair but if someone was hitting you in the face with a hammer, would you like him to slow down, or stop?".
Then she takes me for an X Ray. The Doctor comes in and he is a little older than my Grand Son. He bends my finger around a little asking me if this hurts and if that hurts. Now there isn't any part of my hand that doesn't hurt.
He says, We have three options. I can give you a cortisone shot in the finger. I ask, "does that ever work?" He says, "No". Then he says "We can try putting me on steroids for two weeks" I ask, "Does that ever work?" He says "Usually not, but it may make me fat" So another surgery it is. This time they are not going to knock me out so they can ask me stupid things while they cut open my hand, maybe tell some knock knock jokes.
This week I need to work on my boat outdrives to get them ready because I won't be able to use my right hand for a few weeks so if I need to pick my nose, I will have to use my toe. :doh:

·
Registered
912 Posts
Paul, feel free to come to my hot yoga studio and try a free week. I teach alot of compression postures that involve flushing scar tissue buildup out of generalized areas of joints without actually using the hand muscles at all.

I teach down in carle place and also in merrick off of sunrise highway.

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,349 Posts
Paul hopefully the new doctor can help you out... sometimes it's a good thing to get the young doctor who has new ideas about how to do things... I had a friend who was bucked off of a horse and landed on her feet shattering both of her ankles, she had 4 or 5 doctors tell her that she would never walk again until the young kid just out of med school came along and told her he thought he could fix her... she isn't able to bend her ankles to the side anymore which makes it hard for her to stand/walk on the side of a hill because of how he fused her back together, but at least her ankles work front to back and she can walk.

Plus younger doctors might hire more supermodels than older doctors whose eye sight is getting weaker =)

2401 - 2420 of 5316 Posts