The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 4637 Posts

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a couple of weeks my reef will will have reached 40 years old.
Unfortunately I don't remember when I was 40 but I remember when I set it up. I was a skinny 22 year old just back from Viet Nam.
It is still running very well, still using the same reverse UG filter, same dolomite substrait but none of the fish are original. The oldest one, a fireclown is just over 16, all of the older fish died in an accident that was due to my carelessness.
The tank is mostly LPS, gorgonians, giant mushrooms and a few leathers.
There are only three SPS corals, two of which have been with me for a few years and are growing nicely.
I am not sure is any of the original NSW from the Long Island Sound is still in there or any of the original amphipods but maybe much later generations.
I still can't take a decent picture and the tank is not as blue as these pictures but it is what it is.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Very cool :) Its great to see a long term tank. It gives us newbies some hope that our efforts are not wasted. Congratulations, and happy 40th!!!!!!

ps - I love the natrual look of your tank :)

·
Questions Galore....
1,240 Posts
That is really awsome, your tank looks great, now are those glass bottles in there or am I seeing things?

Happy 40th:blob::beer::hat::bcake::fireworks:

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your not going to make me look up the name of that coral are you?
I was married to my wife for 6 months before I remembered her name. I am not good with names but it is one of my 3 SPS corals and it has been in there for a few years.
I am better with fish names, but not much.

One in 100 million tanks get that old.
Well, maybe 2

·
The Dude
468 Posts
Congrats, beautiful tank. I love the bottles and the chain, reminds me of the Florida keys reefs in the aspect.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Wow nice tank and happy birthday to the tank! I never realized a fishtank could withstand that much time w/out the seals breaking or glass breaking....:)

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Congrats Paul! What I find really impressive is the age of some of your pets.

1 - 20 of 4637 Posts