The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well last night i put a good piece of lettuce in my 120 i thought my 3 tangs and foxface would finish it in no time so i went up stairs and worked on my nano. this morning when the lights came on my foxface rushed to the top of my tank and started eating the lettuce from last night. it was just a small piece and i figured that the lights went off last night and they all stoped eating the lettuce cause they couldnt see it. well this morning the fish had some good leftovers.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
forget using terrestrial veggies for these fishes, go to n Oriental grocer and buy some dried Nori (the kind used to wrap Caifornia Sushi rolls), cut it into 1" wide strips, fold it into a fan, and clip it to the glass. Whatever they cannot eat in an hour needs to be removed from the tank as it WILL be a source of phosphates for the system (even what does get eaten will be, removal of the uneaten part limits the amounts).

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
In the absence of seaweed availability, Steven Spotte (see pp. 357 - 445) does recommend some terrestrial veggies, but a comparisaon of the nutritional values of these substances in ratio to the indegestible fiber content pales in comparison to seaweeds. He considers them , "...composed mostly of water and are low in energy, protein, and lipid..." In addition, there are many essential substances that marine fishes require unique to marine veggies that terrestrial veggies do not contain,

·
Noo Doot Aboot It!
2,768 Posts
Nori is just as readily available, in the ethnic section at your local supermarket, and stores far longer as well

·
Thaumoctopus mimicus
390 Posts
Iceberg has no nuitritional value for fish and pretty much none for humans as well. Romaine, green leaf, read leaf, and Boston are all more nuitritious for humans, but still only of limited value for fish. I think its OK to feed tangs the occaisional piece of lettuce and many zoos/aquaria do feed sea turtles romaine at times. Sort of like it doesn't hurt people to eat french fries on occaision, but a steady diet of it will leave you seriously nutrient deprived. If the tangs have close to enough to eat from the algae growing in the tank and the lettuce is more of a treat, that's fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts