The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I have a 75gall mixed reef that's been running for almost 2 1/2 years.
Lately my clean up crew has slowly dwindled and I have some green hair algae and the occasional bubble algae and cyano. I have had very bad luck with the beautiful yet expensive powder blue tangs. But I have seen them eat hair algae like no other critter. The problem has been ick with every tang I have tried. The tank is more stable now and has a chiller. Do I dare try another one? Or is there another good algae eating fish out there? Thanks for any advice. Shawn

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
lawnmower blennies are great
i think your tank is to small to substane even the smallest tang long term
urchins are also great

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Do you have a good LFS near you that has a trade-in policy?

Here is why I ask this question. While the 75 might not be good for the long term survivability of a tang, there are some ways you can have one without any problems.

I frequent an LFS that will give me 50% store credit for what he is going to resell the fish for. I will use my Purple Tang as an example. I purchased it as a baby when it was only about 2 inches long, for about $40. I kept it in my 75 reef for about a year and a half until it reached around 4-5 inches long. At that time I took it to the LFS and received $80 in store credit for it. Which I promptly used to purchase other fish to grow out.

I know that many people are not in that type of situation, but for me it has worked very well.

I wih you the best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Hey I have a 75gall mixed reef that's been running for almost 2 1/2 years.
Lately my clean up crew has slowly dwindled and I have some green hair algae and the occasional bubble algae and cyano. I have had very bad luck with the beautiful yet expensive powder blue tangs. But I have seen them eat hair algae like no other critter. The problem has been ick with every tang I have tried. The tank is more stable now and has a chiller. Do I dare try another one? Or is there another good algae eating fish out there? Thanks for any advice. Shawn
How long has the tank been ick free?

IME if you ever look at a tang wrong they get ick. LOL :lol:

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I'm sorry, I wouldn't recommend any type of tang for that small a tank. It just stresses them out when they cannot swim. I would recommend a LMBlenny, emerald crab(s) or other things for algae cleanup too. Have you had a chance to check your phosphate levels? Sometimes levels of phosphates can cause hair and slime algae breakouts.

Good luck!
HHC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts