The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so its been a month now of me trying to get my baby hippo tang to eat nori, he wont do it. ive tried every method known to man and he still wont fall for it.
so instead of polluting my tank with uneaten nori any longer ive decided to throw in the towel. he dont want it then thats his problem.
i have nothing else in the tank that would eat it so it all just goes to waste and decay.

he does however eat flakes like theres no tomorrow. i feed him three to four times a day, his belly is always fat.
ive just started soaking his flakes with garlic, zoe and selcon. do you think this is enough to keep him healthy? and protect him some from the dreaded HLLE disease?
he looks fine, no head pits or anything and he has doubled in size since i bought him.
this is it, this is all i can do for him other than actually cramming nori down his throat :funny:

·
Pinch That Penny
2,240 Posts
you could try feeding him emerald entree. I think it's made by san francisco bay. your other fish will eat this too and it has tons of veggies. I would try the nori though about 2 times per week but don't leave it in more than a couple of hours. He'll eventually find it=)

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yep been there, done that
he picks out everything from emerald entree but makes sure he doesnt touch any of the veggies
ive tried veggie flakes and nope that dont work either.
ive done nori on the clip, forget that one, so then i would soak nori up in garlic, break it up into flake sized bits and then toss it with his regular flakes and he still wont touch it. he will pick out the flakes
ive tried purple nori as well, and still the same thing
this boys crazy lol

ive even let him go flakeless for a day hoping he will be hungry enough to eat nori, that didnt work either.
im out of options

the other day i put in a hair algae covered rock from my other tank. he was actually afraid of it
by the end of the night all the algae was gone, but not by the tang, by my blenny :(

·
Administrator
46,888 Posts
If hes eating flake suplemented with garlic Zoe and Selcon, theres not a lot more you can do. Back in the 70's when garlic wasnt thought of and Zoe and Secon werent aound I did a rescue on a Hippo and Naso tang, put them in my tank, lights out and no chow for a week, after which I allowed some light in and fed them a mix of chopped spinach, fish market pan waste( the solid bits of fish, shellfish, crab, etc from the pans at the fish market, strained when they pulled stock and rinsed, had a friend at the store) as well as water soluable vitamins and fish oil, basically it was the forerunner of blender mush.
The 2 tangs were about 3+" when I got them and paper thin, when I lost power for a week a couple years later the Hippo was 10" and the Naso 12. FWIW I kept a Blue ribbon eel for over a year feeding it cocktail shrimp , drained and soaked in the vitamin/fish oil mess :) Copper band b'fly did well on the tangs diet, it doubled in size and went to a new home after a year

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so do you think he will be ok with the garlic, selcon and zoe soaked flakes?

maybe he will change when he gets older. maybe its a baby thing?

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
What kind of flake?

Have you tried mixing a small percentage of nori with the flake, then gradually increasing the percentage of nori?

·
Registered
959 Posts
my hippo wouldn't eat nori easily either, I had him for about a year before he finally did it and this is how I got him to do it,

I took the noria and ripped it up into flake sized chunks (like really tiny)cause mine ate flake also,

I really doused the nori flakes with garlic/selcon and fed 1 at a time when I knew he was hungry like first thing of the day,

I found as long as I got the chunk of nori small enough so that it was like a bite size morsel that the tang would eat it, this led to him eating off the clip like he does until this day and I no longer use flake.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Have you tried other vegtables like kale,romaine, spinach. I only feed my fish nori once in awhile. They get mostly frozen romain and spinach. One stalk of romaine lasts about a day or so in my 90. I have 2 angels, a tang and a lawnmower that all shred the stuff.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I had a hippo that was the same way. He didnt eat veggies for well over a yr. Only after buying a yellow tang did he start eating the nori. He watched the yellow eat it then he began to eat it and after a little while the yellow tang had a hard time getting any of the nori because the hippo was such a pig.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,660 Posts
Mine didn't like it either so I gave Romain,Spinach and then I go to a Asian market and get fresh seaweed and he'd eat that.

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
i would start by only feeding it every other day. if your feeding many times a day it will get fat but will not be healthy. keep in mind that a fat fish in a tank is bad because they don't have the room needed to excersize off excess weight. i would start by dropping to every other day and then work it into his diet if you want to. if he is happy with flake then don't worry about it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I second using the formula 2 flakes since it's veggie based, my tangs love it. I also had a Naso that wouldn't eat and found he loved caulerpa and would eat eat from my hand, but wouldn't touch nori. I started using a rubber band to tie some caulerpa to a piece of rubble. Once he realized his food was there, I made a "caulerpa burrito". I wrapped the caulerpa in Nori and he had to eat through that to get to the middle. After about 1 to 2 weeks, he learned to like the Nori and ate it from then on. For some reason he didn't like eating from the clip, but foraging off the bottom of the tank was the secret. You might try ogo as well. Ask local club members if they have any you can try.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
every method mentioned above ive tried except romaine and spinache, so that will be my next attempt :D

i have other tangs in an other tank that i am planning to add, but not until the hippo gets there size which might not be for awhile.
i have a 6" naso and a 5" yellow tang that will kick my baby 2" hippo if i add them now.
but i do agree that by watching them eat nori i think he will learn, but i cant risk his life right now.
the naso and yellow scuffle a bit now, the yellow is a b****

the tank the baby hippo is in is a 220g, i dont feel that tank size matters with aggressive fish, ive learned that from experience

oh and what flakes he is eating...
prime reef
and brineshrimp plus, made by the prime reef people
i have formula 2, he wont eat it, he wont eat anything green lol

just want to add that remember i added a rock covered in hair algae that my blenny gobbled up? well the tang got some, hes pooping hair algae.
i can harvest hair algae once in awhile from my other tank..dummy blenny had to eat it all, sheesh, i put in 3 medium sized rocks totally covered in hair algae, 12 hours later is was all gone!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Freeze the lettuce and/ or spinach as it breaks down the leaf into a more manageable form. This from techs at Sea World and some other high profile fish keepers I've run across. Rinse it well before feeding to thatw and to get rid of any pesticides or whatnots you don't want to feed your tank.

·
Administrator
46,888 Posts
If you feed any terresterial veggie stuff be sure and soak it with Zoe and Selcon, otherwise its just sorta filling there bellies but doing little nutritionally

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you feed any terresterial veggie stuff be sure and soak it with Zoe and Selcon, otherwise its just sorta filling there bellies but doing little nutritionally

well then whats the point :lol:
if its not going to help him then im not gonna do it :doh::D

·
Registered
106 Posts
They guys from Seawolrd didn't soak the stuff they were feeding. Guess their fish are all doomed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts