The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Fish Nerd
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everybody -

So I'm starting to more seriously research fish as I will begin adding fish towards the end of this month and early next month. I have a 125 that I'm starting to set up as a reef. So far I've got a cabbage soft coral, some zoanthids, a red mushroom, and a couple of very small LPS of unknown variety that hitchhiked in on live rock. Additionally I have an emerald crab, 2 nassarius snails, 4 astreas, and maybe 7 scarlet tipped hermits.

My idea for stocking the tank with fish is to have some small fish (clown gobies, royal gramma, purple dartfish, and some kind of shrimp goby paired with a tiger pistol) and two or three larger fish. One that is definitely going to be in there if I can help it is a scott's fairy wrasse. Paired along with that I would like a powder blue tang.

I also like clown surgeonfish and pacific blue tangs. Do you think that a 125 is big enough to house two out of these three together in addition to the other fish mentioned?

·
The Sexy Shrimp
1,297 Posts
Hey Everybody -

So I'm starting to more seriously research fish as I will begin adding fish towards the end of this month and early next month. I have a 125 that I'm starting to set up as a reef. So far I've got a cabbage soft coral, some zoanthids, a red mushroom, and a couple of very small LPS of unknown variety that hitchhiked in on live rock. Additionally I have an emerald crab, 2 nassarius snails, 4 astreas, and maybe 7 scarlet tipped hermits.

My idea for stocking the tank with fish is to have some small fish (clown gobies, royal gramma, purple dartfish, and some kind of shrimp goby paired with a tiger pistol) and two or three larger fish. One that is definitely going to be in there if I can help it is a scott's fairy wrasse. Paired along with that I would like a powder blue tang.

I also like clown surgeonfish and pacific blue tangs. Do you think that a 125 is big enough to house two out of these three together in addition to the other fish mentioned?
I wouldn't add a clown surgeonfish to a tank that size. They are EXTREMELY active fish. I wouldn't put one in anything under 180 at the very minimum. They also tend to get very aggressive as the age on, so if youre planning to keep smaller fish, that might be a problem. I personally wouldnt put a blue tang or a powder blue in a 125 gallon tank, but many people have had success with them in tanks smaller than that, so if you plan carefully and add them at the same time it may work. If I were you I would also add more members to the cleanup crew, maybe about 20 or 30 hermits (mix and match different types) and about 30 more algae eating snails + 10 nassarius snails. In the long run this may help out a lot. Sounds like you did your research :) Good luck with the tank!

·
Registered
561 Posts
I also hear the same about Pacific blue tangs as well they get aggressive with age. Powder blue are ICH magnets, and Clown has been covered. Sorry the fish you want are not easy I am in that same boat lol. As far as a better tang choice for a 120 you have a good bit of options. Any mimic and bristletooth tangs will work Powder blue/brown will work, but QT them first, Yellow tang, scopas, sailfin just off the top of my head. Just research each fish and learn the pro's and con's of each, cause each will have good points and bad points for you and your tank. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
The thing most people don't realize about tangs is how aggressive they become especially in small tanks and somewhat territorial. Its not always that they can be kept its what they do to the other fish. I had a kole in my 75 which should be able to be kept. Even my large clarkii which should rule the tank would take cover.

They also don't realize the size they get.. I saw a sailfin the other day over a foot long. A clown tang will also get well over a foot long almost a foot and a half. A yellow tang over 8".

Tangs are also quick. These quick movements terrorize the other fish.

·
Fish Nerd
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I pretty much figured that it would be a bad idea. Sometimes I think I just need to hear it again! :)

I think the plan now will be to add the powder blue tang last or close to last. Since my fish budget was recently slashed :( that'll probably be at least 6 months from now. Thanks for the advice!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts