The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past ~5 years, I have had a couple different setups, but they have all shared some elements (rock, coral, or livestock) between them. In that time, I have had a yellow tang, a powder blue, a kole tang, and most recently a scopus.

All have begun fine. Eating the seaweed (sheet stuff), veggie flake, and (in some cases) the shrimp flakes that the other fish eat. I haven't lost a single other fish to anything other than suicide over the overflow or jumping the tank. However, each and every tang has done fine for about 2-3 months and then spontaneously (like in a day) died. I fed (and they ate) 3-4 times a week. Never any signs of disease of any kind. Water params are all good for Nitrate, Nitrite, pH, Alk, phosphate, Ca, and 1.026 spec g. For the Scopus which died yesterday, there is 1 other fish in a 15g tank. Blue crabs and snails are fine. Corals are growing nicely. The frags from the last meeting are doing just spiffy.

Has anyone ever seen this sort of thing? I love tangs and want to keep one, but this track record is really pissing me off when I can't find any other problem. I'm fast turning into the Pol Pot of tangs.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I think that means there is a seperate thank with someother fish in it, hopefully. What size tank do you have that these tangs are in?

·
ARC Member
707 Posts
I fed (and they ate) 3-4 times a week
Were you feeding the tang only 3-4 times/week? Tangs are natural grazers, and are used to eating all throughout the day, every day. I'm not sure if that'd cause one to just die, though...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Apologies. I started writing that during lunch and only got interupted 3 times.

The 15 is a breeding ground for candy cane corals, but right now is my only "reef tank". It's in the same water flow with a 75 and a sump. The 75 used to be my reef before it got converted to a FOW(not much)LR setup and I had planned to turn that back into a reef soon (which sparked my return to the club). The scopus was about 1.5" sized and in the 75 by himself. I didn't word the "remaining fish" comment right, but was trying to say that I have another live, healthy fish (which happens to be in the 15 and hasn't spontaneously died).

The other tangs ranged from that size to 3" inches, but were in reefs which ranged from just my 75 to the same setup I have now with the 15 used as a refugium.

I was feeding the scopus mostly because the turbo snails didn't leave much behind, so I thought he wouldn't get enough to eat otherwise, but I have always suplemented with the sheet seaweed for all the tangs.

Since the tangs are the only fish I've ever had die, I'm not sure if this applies, but they are also always super-emaciated at death. And, in every case, I have seen them *not* emaciated the day before seemingly acting normally.

Is 75 too small for a 1.5" - 2.5" tang?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Do tangs jump off the tank? I guess yes, yesterday I got home and I don't see my blue tang, he jumped and luckily fell inside my wet dry, I don't know how he did it ! really weird.

·
Banned
2,995 Posts
GeorgeW said:
Is 75 too small for a 1.5" - 2.5" tang?
Depends on who you ask. The lowest recommended size you usually see at online fish stores is 70g. I have a regal in my 72g and I've had it about 2 years. Until our last meeting, I only fed it mysis and dry pellets- I bought some algae sheets at Marine Fish and the tang didn't really know what it was- took a few days before the fish ate it.

·
Registered
557 Posts
from drsfosterandsmith, "Although Tangs will eat meaty foods along with the other fish in the aquarium, it is important that they are offered plenty of marine based seaweed and algae. This will strengthen their immune system, reduce aggression and improve their overall health. "

1 - 9 of 9 Posts