The Reef Tank banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Schroeder
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a yellow tang for about 2 months now. On Saturday I put some macro algae in my display tank. The tang and blenny have been swimming near it a lot. The clowns avoid that side of the tank since I purchased them. Yesterday I threw 3gallons of water into the tank before I turned on the lights and looked at the tang about a half hour later. He was a bit white and hiding from me. I figured it was from the shock of the water. This morning I looked at him and he had a group of strings hanging down from his lower body. It looks like the algae but I'm not sure. He is a lot more yellow today. I figure it is one of 2 things:

1) He was nervous from the water change then got his fins caught on the algae.

2) He has parasites in him.

I will upload a picture as soon as I can get one that shows the strings.

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
Is he active? I'd be especially concerned if he's hiding in a corner or pinning himself between rocks, etc. If he's active, though, I'd give it some time. If you literally dumped three gallons of water in at once, that could've caused a little stress on him. That's especially true if the saltwater was a slightly different temperature or salinity, or it wasn't aged a day or two after it was mixed with the water. I doubt it's algae that's on him, though.

-Joe

·
Schroeder
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
Sorry, man, but that really doesn't look good. Seems to be hiding because it's not doing well, and that's definitely not algae, I don't think. I don't know what you feed, but try to get some garlic into the tang's diet....assuming it's still eating right now, which I hope it is. Get some crushed up garlic or, better yet, some Garlic Xtreme from Matt at OTP, and mix it with the food you feed your fish, especially whatever the tang eats. Garlic should help with its health a little bit, but you may want to look into some sort of anti-fungal medication or anything that will kill parasites and such. You'd want to do the treatment in a separate tank, of course.

Best of luck,
Joe

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
1) Did I mention before you tank is too small for any tang?

2) He looks very malnourished. What have you been feeding? Tangs like a lot of vegetarian foods. For example every or every other day I tie some garlic soaked nori onto a rock in my tank for mine to eat in addition to my flake and frozen foods. When you're talking macro algae are you talking like a chaeto stringy long spaghetti type clump? Cause its highly doubtful they'll eat that. Typically thats used in sumps to remove nitrates and phosphates from your water column. I've got plenty of algae at home if you want to try that you're more then welcome to try some.

This is what I use in the green, I found they didnt eat the red, brown or purple as much:
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=5026

3) It would appear the "stingy" business is near your fishes....exit.....probly something it ate, or the lack of proper nutrition could be causing it some dietary discomfort.

4) As far as the hiding goes, I presume there aren't any other fish or anything that are bothering it? Typically they're real pansies when it comes to someone picking on them.

Hope that helps!!

·
Schroeder
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1) yeah I heard about the size thing. I plan on upgrading relatively soon.

2) I feed him 2 pinches of flakes each day and nori about 2x a week (only a 1x1 cm piece because he doesnt eat too much of it and it just ends up decomposing in the tank) and the macro is chaeto. It is there for sucking up nitrates. I don't have a sump so I put it in the corner of the display tank where it wont move around and cant be seen easily.

4) It has 2 small clown fish in there (each about an inch long) and 1 starry blenny. None of which bother the tank. He isn't really afraid of anything except me. I see him swimming around all the time when I am cooking.

I just took a piece I saw near his favorite cave that looks similar to the ones stuck to him. It is plant matter. I think that maybe he tried some and couldn't digest it properly? Or maybe it just got caught on his fins somehow.

Either way I think I'm going to get some garlic additives and up my salinity a tad.

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
It's not a lighting thing. A yellow tang shouldn't have any trouble going from a single bulb to four bulbs. The thing to remember with tangs is that they are grazing fish. They like to nibble 24/7. So, even though it may look like the algae isn't being eaten, it's important to keep it there because a yellow tang probably isn't going to eat much flake food. If he does, great, but still you should always keep some green algae sheet in there for him.

Are there any other fish in the tank yet, or just him? Sometimes if a fish isn't eating well, it can help to have other more "social" fish in the tank. But, if there are no other fish, now is a bad time to add them, since you don't want a potentially sick fish to make more fish sick...

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Im with Joe on that one, doesnt sound like a light causing him to be skittish. Although it is entirely possible its just the fish. They all have different personalities and he might just be a scardy cat. I would definitely put the nori in daily or semi daily....

What're we looking at for lighting? T5 PC what did you end up getting?

·
Schroeder
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I brought the piece i found near the tang's favorite hide out to the lab on campus and checked it out. it is chaeto. I just got home now and it turns out the long string that I freaked out over, is gone. I will start feeding daily nori. Should I take out the Cheato so I can get other algae to grow? I have not had algae yet besides for diatoms and the chaeto I threw in.

I did the 3 gallon in about an hour time period. It was relatively the same temp because I kept switching the heater from one tank to the next for a few hours prior. Is 3 gallons in 1 hour too quick?

The lights are PC from Dawson (his 2nd fixture he loaned me). I will move to T5HO but I am going to wait till I know that I can be trusted with fish and easier corals :D

The parameters are all good (I can only test ammonium, nitrates, nitrites, Ph, and O2).

The tang eats a good amount (normally more than all the rest of the fish combined) but I am going to try to get him to eat smaller amounts, more often (maybe 4 small meals a day). Is there any other tips you all have for keeping the tang?

Thanks everyone for the help

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
You could leave it in its not going to hurt anything besides maybe wreak the aesthetically appearance but thats subjective so its up to you.

I usually do 20 gallons in like 10-15 minutes so I think you're ok.

I presume you ment Ammonia, and I assume you don't have a oxygen test kit....What're you using for salinity? Also probly wouldnt hurt to get a dKh and Calcium kit. Good to keep an eye on those things too. Are you dosing any additives?

Are you clipping the algae on a clip or putting it on a rock? Mine are always more receptive to it on a rock but thats entirely up to you.

·
Schroeder
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually I have something for testing O2. I have a hydrometer, which I am really starting to not trust as much anymore. I don't have any additives. And to answer the final question I soak my nori for a bit in water, then let it float around. I haven't tried to put nori on rock since the day I bought it. I tried to put some on a rock that day with a rubber binder. The tang wouldn't go for it. Then I tried just floating it and it ate it up.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Jerad....I haven't logged in for a while....I have garlic xtreme sitting here.

As far as keeping a tang healthy, I know Jeffers has taken pride in keeping his yellow tang going.....might be worth a PM to him. He's the one that got me on Garlic (well my fish anyway).

I know that it can take a lot of time for them to start grazing....if you try something new give it at least a few days before you change it up again.

·
Registered
169 Posts
No problem. Once you are confident let me know and we'll try some other things.

I caught the psuedo the other day, so I'll be heading to OTP later today in hopes of getting a cool fish (Tang I hope....not sure of type yet).

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
So whats the status update? I for one would say the 55 is smallest I would go for a yellow tang depending on size. I have 3 tangs (2 blue hippos and a yellow) in my 72 but I don't follow the rules either. My view on it is look at petco they can put 10 in on tank and they stay there for months :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts