The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fluval Osaka 260l that has 70lbs of live rock and 80lbs of live sand. Have a fluval 496 canister that I run with just chemi pure carbon. In the process of adding a sump. I will be using a tunze 9006 protein.

The tank is 41" wide. I keep hearing that they need at least a 4ft wide tank.

Are there any tangs that would do fine in my tank. I am looking at the kole tang and any of the bristletooth tangs.

I would be adding this fish last.

If I can't get a tang, what other fish would work well for my set up?

My plan is too have a few small fish and 1 fish that got a little bigger than all the others.

My current livestock:
2 true perculas
1 green chromis
1 lawnmower blenny
2 wheeler gobies
1 hectors goby
1 six line wrasse

2 cleaner shrimp
4 turbo snails
4 electric blue hermit crabs
8 assorted small hermit crabs

·
Registered
83 Posts
i have a yellow tang in my 75, he's still a baby though.

this is one of those hotly debated topics. tangs need room to swim, so in some ways tank dimensions (especially length) are a bit more important than over all gallon size.

i've arranged my rock work in such a way that there is a lot of open space for the fish to swim, and i am planning my stocking now around the adult size of the fish.

the kole/yellow would probably be ok in that size tank.

one thing to note is the carbon you're running in your filter. i was running carbon as well for a while and i believe i have started noticing HLLE (Head and Lateral Line Erosion) in my yellow tang. i have since discontinued the carbon use. i'm not 100% yet that it is HLLE, but i have head that certain types of carbon are prone to causing it in surgeonfish species. so i figured i'd rather be safe than sorry.

here is the main article about the correlation of HLLE and surgeonfish:

http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/content/activated-carbon-hlle-smoking-gun-found

·
Mushroom Coral Fanatic
979 Posts
You could fit a small tang, but your tank would have to be focused primarily around the tang.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
A 75g might be pushing it for a tang with your current list. Tangs get big some smaller than other such as the yellow tang maybe 6-8in vs naso tang at 15-18in. You have to think about space and bioload on your equipment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts