The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have a 150 gallon reef, water parameters are perfect. Mixed variety of SPS, LPS and only a few fish. Current fish are a six line wrasse, tomini tang, royal gramma, and three clownfish. I was curious if putting a yellow eye kole tang in with the tomini would be an issue? Also I know some fish are better than others, but anyone had luck with a yellow eye eating hair algae? (algae is minimal in the tank). Thanks for the help

·
Registered
334 Posts
Well.. pretty mutch, stick with the rule "Same Body Shape" tangs are a a problem....
for example a Sohal and a Clown tang will fight to the death.....
but a sohal and a Yellow will get along....

a yellow and a sailfin might not get along.....

you get the picture....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate it.....I have always like the Yellow Eye, but guess I'll have to go another route. I know I want a Sailfin, how are those with grazing on the rocks/eating algae? And do they get lazy if you feed with an algae clip?

·
Registered
334 Posts
I appreciate it.....I have always like the Yellow Eye, but guess I'll have to go another route. I know I want a Sailfin, how are those with grazing on the rocks/eating algae? And do they get lazy if you feed with an algae clip?
the tomini and the kole tang are pretty close in body shape, i personally don't know if you could get away with it....

on the other hand, my sailfin has been in my tank for 3 years, and regardless if i have the veggi clip full or not, it eats like it is on the brink of starvation....

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
Sailfins are recommeded for 180g minimum so I'd say not on the sailfin..you can throw the naso, achiles, and a bunch of others into that mix. +1 on avoiding the kole tang as it is too closely related. If you already have one tang in the tank, I'd limit yourself to tangs recommended for a minimum of 75g tank, nothing larger. Those recommended minimums are for ONE tang so putting multiple tangs means you need a larger tank than the recommended for the one tang. You should have plenty of options that are recommended for a 75g.
As for the hair algae question, very few things will eat hair algae. Simply put, to get rid of it is easiest done in two parts. Manually remove it yourself and cut down on the nitrates and phosphates in the tank that are feeding it, meaning remove as much detrius as possible with your water changes by siphoning the sand and blowing out the LR.

You mentioned 3 clowns in the tank...typically, two clowns of the same type will be fine, but the third will eventually hit the point of no longer being welcome.

·
Registered
334 Posts
You mentioned 3 clowns in the tank...typically, two clowns of the same type will be fine, but the third will eventually hit the point of no longer being welcome.
you know it is funny you should mention this, when i started my tank i bought 3 cause thats all my lfs had, and to this day (4 years later) there is still 3 clowns, 2 have pared up, so i have a male a feemale and a jouvinile.....

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have found the yellow eye koles to be very fickle personally though I love them. Sailfins get fat and lazy when you feed them. I can send a pick if you want to see a 1" thick lazy son of a gun. And they grow really fast because of the aforementioned behavior. Mimic/Choclate Tangs are not big swimmers and if you have an overhang or two for them might work out pretty well. I have seen people keep two and you have the space if they are smaller ones so you could probably dodge the rule of three or maybe a small yellow they seem to grow really slow. Mines 8 and has probably grown two inches and its not for not feeding him...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts