The Reef Tank banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well the Tall Ships are touring and stopped in to Toledo this weekend. so we went down to take a look today. 10 bucks for parking. 18 bucks per adult and 13 bucks per child under 12 to go on them.... and 20 bucks per adult for a 20 minute trip on them. no way was i shelling out that kinda cash just to look at a boat :eek: so we jsut walked along the waterfront taking pics from the outside.

so here is a few pics. i took about 150 pics but this group pretty much sums up the trip.

this first one is a crude panaromic i put together showing the downtown / waterfront skyling of toledo. the ships were all on the east side of the river (International Park). Oh sidenite: when i was at IBM, my office was the left back corner window of the 2nd floor from the top of the big blue building :D

Attachments

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
here is a shot of all the ships lined up along the docks. you can really only see the first four or five ships. but they go all the way back to the big blue bridge in the background.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
here is the HMS bounty. now, i never really did much research, but i thought the Bounty wasa real ship back in the 1800's or something like that. but this ship was built in 1960. although the website for the tall ships, did state that this is the ship that the movie "mutiny on the bounty" was filmed on. so i'm under the impression that the ship was built, as a recreation, for the filming of the movie.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this is the Calcedona. dont know what's special about it, other than it's a tall sailing ship :D

Attachments

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
coast guard vessel. these guys were here all weekend crusin the water front. they had a big expose on the news showing them mounting the m-60's on the boat, as a terrorist deterent..

now for you military folks take a close look, the m-60's arent even loaded :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
one of the ships out on a tour. loaded up with people that paid 20 bucks a pop :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gotta love the deck hands for the water taxi's :D

we have about 20 of these taxi's downtown. the east side of the river, where i'm standing has 10 resturants behind me, affectionately known as "The Docks" good food, live jazz bands and stuff like that. very busy in the evenings. anyway, anytime the resturants are open, you can get a taxi ride from downtown to the docks, and back, like for lunch or dinner, for 2 bucks each way. but if you show your meal receipt, then you get your four bucks back. so really the ride is free, if you are planning to eat.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
"now, i never really did much research, but i thought the Bounty wasa real ship back in the 1800's or something like that"

Ever heard of Mutiny on the H.M.S. Bounty, by William Bligh?

·
Administrator
47,660 Posts
JAy I am sure they have the ammo cans safely secured in a locker below, where no inquisitive kids can find them and accidentally figure out how to engage the belt and cock the darn thing ;)
Then again I never could grasp the logic of gate guards on base standing there with no magazine in the weapon. Must be that kinder gentler Military some politicians love ;)

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol doug i know what ya mean :D

chris. yeah i've heard of the book and the movie.. never read the book though. i had always assumed the book and movie were based on fact, which would mean the real bounty would have been built long before 1960 :D

so were they both works of fiction? if so, that would explain the ship being built in 1960, solely for the purpose of filming the movie.

either way it was pretty cool seeing it. they had a sign posted on a lot of the ship for trainee deck hands if you wanted to join. the mounty's sign read:

Deck hands wanted: low pay. long hours. horrible food. sign up today for the opportunity of a lifetime!

i laughed uncontrollably :funny:

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok that was simple enough... checked out the bounty's website. (www.tallshipbounty.com) and sure enough it was built in 1961 specifically for the movie (which would lead me to belive the book and movie are fiction) ted turner owned the ship until 1993 when he sold it to the tall ship bounty foundation, or somthing like that :)

·
Registered
852 Posts
Jay, We took a ride on the 'Bluenose II' out of Halifax when we lived in Nova Scotia. Well worth the $20 :) It was the last tour of the season and the crew let her fly - got wet when she caught the wind enough to tip to starboard but it was a blast. Love the sound of those sails catching the wind :D

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i would think it'd be fun out in the open. but taking a trip in downtown toledo is anything but fun. there is a posted speed of 5mpg in the entire waterfront area :(

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
thefatman said:
there is a posted speed of 5mpg in the entire waterfront area :(
somehow i think those ships will have no problem staying under 5 mpg. :D they prolly will not use their motors.

now a ship like that, getting it to go over 5 mph is a little harder than you think. ships of that size and weight will top out close to 10 knots maybe a little more, but not much. that is if it is really blowing out.

G~

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Jay, the book and movie are based on fact. It did really happen. The mutinous crew burned the original bounty to ashes on the island they decided to call home in the south pacific... that way no one passing could spot the masts.

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
And many of the native people who live there today still have the last name of "Christian." :)

Thanks for the pics, Jay!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah i found out today at work that it was factual :)

i feel sort of dumb thinking i was goign to see the REAL bounty...sicne it sort of got burned down :rolleyes:

nevertheless, this was the ship that was built for the movie :D

....now that i've got my facts straightened out :funny:.....

·
Super Moderator
27,693 Posts
"All hands on deck, all hands on deck...."

no that's Peter Pan..

Great pix of the Tall Ships, Jay. They really are majestic....and slow is good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts