The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, looking to picks some of your brains about T-5 supplement lighting. Right now I have been running 3-Oceanrevive S206 leds lights for about a year and a half. Love the fixtures and the energy and heat saving they have gave me versus my old 4 bulb VHO T-12 setup. Seem to be getting good growth on my corals with the LEDs. Buy not real happy on the color of some corals. Just messed with my actinic and full spectrum ratio and turned blue down a bit and full up so now at 75% actinic and 50% full. Seems some of my corals have lost the vibrant color when I first put them in the tank. Greens seem to be the hardest to keep. My Montipora Spongodes is getting to be a dull green the past few months. Pink seems to do the best and blue acro, also had a good blue color on the tips but the body is light.

Long story short, not super happy with my coral colors. Now today is maintenance day and was thinking my old Icecap 660 ballast is just sitting in a box. Maybe I could add a single 80 watt T-5 with a reflector. Could possible add 2. Could hang one in front of the lights. Would be fairly easy to fabricate some light mount that could hang off my led brackets. Would have to add a fan to help with the heat. The extra heat has me most worried. Right now tank runs at 78 even in this heatwave!

Would a T-5 help with my color and what single bulb would you guys recommended? Is supplementing these leds with a T-5 worth it? $28 for reflector, $30 bulb and $20 for 2 end caps. Is it just these middle of the road LED fixtures that are giving me bland colors? These do seem to put out good par from other people's tanks I have seen online. Between 100 and 380 with lights on full.

·
Shark..but a friendly one
15,728 Posts
Not a clue, just a HEY! Yeah, we are in the midst of a 'warm one'. Best to you,
Hack

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dang it Hack, I put aside a nice rock with 3 good Colt stalks for you. Put it in the front corner of the tank. Now a shoot is dropping off and crawling back to the rock wall! Come get it before it escapes lol. Let me know the next time your in the area, will donate to your 220 gallon!

·
Shark..but a friendly one
15,728 Posts
THANKS Cooter! Yeah I think I have my tank where I want it now that my NO3 is in check @ 5 ppm. Went passed your area Thursday on our way to a from Clementon Park, and gave serious thought to giving you a shout. Pretty much anytime that your not in the middle of something I could stop by and see this gorgeous reef of yours. Your easily within a 1/2 hour of me. I'll PM you rather than hi-jacking your thread. Stay cool,
Hack

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
You have the best colts, cooter!

I added T5s to my LEDs about a year ago on my 55 and loved the change in my tank. I had crappy LEDs though. :p I've since ditched the LEDs and went fully to T5s and my tanks never looked better.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Chi! They take up 1/3 of the space on the rocks in a 175 gallon tank, and all started from one 4 or 5 inch piece.

Never ran T-5s before only T-12 VHO tubes. So what is a good single color bulb If I only add one 62" bulb in front of the LEDs? Do I need to add 2 to combine color spectrum? Could do a couple combos.....1 or 2- 62" tubes, or 2-36" tubes or even 4-36" tubes. Don't think I need alot more PAR value as the LEDS are not close to all the way up. But maybe the right color bulb will help color up the coral a bit better? Even have a space empty on the Apex for Icecap Ballast.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
If you're just looking for a color boost I would go with actinics. If you find that to be too blue you could add a Coral Plus, will give it a little pink cast. If you're purely going for astetics then I'd think one bulb would be fine (if you can find a single bulb fixture - can't say I've ever seen one), but two (or more) would give you more wiggle room to experiment with color combos.

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
Nice.....no, .... great looking Colt Coral.

I'd sit back and enjoy the fine job you've done. There's much more to explore if you're evaluating coral growth and color.

I'd let sleeping dogs lie.....or in Reo....Don't poke the Tiger.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Daves not hear. Phelps looked angry, so don't poke the tiger lol. Had bought the four part coral color suplement kit. But have not added anything yet. Only been added a few tablespoons of baking soda into my 10 gallon top off to keep Alk up. It seems to hang around 7.0 to 7.5. Like I said was kind of brain storming that I had the ballast. And I'm an electrician so fabricating my own light would not be hard. Wish there was more adjustment on these LEDs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts