The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just copy and paste the questions to your reply, and add your answers!

1. What is your first name?

2. Where do you live?

3. How long have you been reef keeping?

4. How much would you guess you've spent on reefkeeping since you began?

5. What was the size of your first tank?

6. What is the size of your current tank?

7. What is the size of your dream tank?

8. What was your first fish?

9. What was your first invert?

10. What was your first coral?

11. Today, what is your favorite fish?

12. Today, what is your favorite invert?

13. Today, what is your favorite coral?

14. In the future, what would be the next fish you'd like to have?

15. In the future, what would be the next invert you'd like to have?

16. In the future, what would be the next coral you'd like to have?

17. What is your favorite tank shape? (rectangle, bowfront, cube, corner, other?)

18. What was the biggest mistake you've made reef keeping?

19. What was the best decision you've made reef keeping?

20. What is your favorite part or aspect of reef keeping?

21. What is your least liked part or aspect of reef keeping?

22. Looking back, if you could change something you did in the past, what would it be?

23. What piece of advice would you give a newbie entering reef keeping?

24. Looking to the future, what is your outlook on the reef keeping hobby as a whole?

25. If you had 3 wishes that could only be used with respect to the hobby of reef keeping, what would they be?

·
Registered
750 Posts

1. What is your first name? Tom

2. Where do you live? Campbell River BC Canada

3. How long have you been reef keeping? 3 years

4. How much would you guess you've spent on reefkeeping since you began? ooohh it hurts to think about it

5. What was the size of your first tank?77G

6. What is the size of your current tank?77G

7. What is the size of your dream tank?300G something cool like a half moon

8. What was your first fish? Harliquin sweetlips

9. What was your first invert? Choclate chip star

10. What was your first coral? Hammer

11. Today, what is your favorite fish? Boxfish

12. Today, what is your favorite invert? Cucumbers

13. Today, what is your favorite coral? frogspawn

14. In the future, what would be the next fish you'd like to have? GSM

15. In the future, what would be the next invert you'd like to have? Tuxedo urchin

16. In the future, what would be the next coral you'd like to have? Crazy frog

17. What is your favorite tank shape? (rectangle, bowfront, cube, corner, other?) Hex

18. What was the biggest mistake you've made reef keeping? Not listening going to fast and not having a skimmer at one time

19. What was the best decision you've made reef keeping?Coming to TRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. What is your favorite part or aspect of reef keeping? The how beautiful it looks.

21. What is your least liked part or aspect of reef keeping? certain smells

22. Looking back, if you could change something you did in the past, what would it be? Buying a bunch of crap that I did not need

23. What piece of advice would you give a newbie entering reef keeping? Take it slow and pay attention to the Mods

24. Looking to the future, what is your outlook on the reef keeping hobby as a whole? It looks better and better all the time with all the aquacultured fish and fragging going on.

25. If you had 3 wishes that could only be used with respect to the hobby of reef keeping, what would they be? I want a walling hammer , for a the reefs in the world to double in size, and peace for all mankind tear in my eye!

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
1. What is your first name? I don't like my first name:D I've been going by Hop for 20 years. When my wife uses my first name, I know I left the water on in the wetroom and she is mad!

2. Where do you live? Western Colorado. The home of two reef keepers.

3. How long have you been reef keeping? About seven years. I've been keeping tanks though for about 25 years.

4. How much would you guess you've spent on reefkeeping since you began? Somewhere around $40,000.

5. What was the size of your first tank? First tank was a 30 gallon. First Reef tank was a 55 gallon.

6. What is the size of your current tank? Current is a 125 with 190 being put together. I just had to tear down my 450 gallon tank in the beginning of January.

7. What is the size of your dream tank? 8'X8'X24" cube. Centered in a large entertainment room.

8. What was your first fish? First Salt Water Fish was 6 black bar chromis.

9. What was your first invert? Peppermint Shrimp

10. What was your first coral? Gorg that came in on some rock with an unidentified SPS.

11. Today, what is your favorite fish? Blonde Naso with streamers

12. Today, what is your favorite invert? Harlequin Shrimp - Hymenocera picta, although I've never had one.

13. Today, what is your favorite coral? Any colorful acro.

14. In the future, what would be the next fish you'd like to have? Don't have a clue right now.

15. In the future, what would be the next invert you'd like to have? Have not thought about it.

16. In the future, what would be the next coral you'd like to have? Still debating if I'm going to make my next tank a SPS or a softie/LPS system.

17. What is your favorite tank shape? (rectangle, bowfront, cube, corner, other?) Don't care. A good looking tank is a good looking tank:D

18. What was the biggest mistake you've made reef keeping? Not quarantining new arrivals.

19. What was the best decision you've made reef keeping? To go BIG!

20. What is your favorite part or aspect of reef keeping? Probably the design and building of new systems and new tanks. Then modifying equipment.

21. What is your least liked part or aspect of reef keeping? Learning chemistry and understanding lighting!

22. Looking back, if you could change something you did in the past, what would it be? I would have taken more time setting up the 450. Might have changed the probability of having to tear it down... Proper venting and humidity control, followed up by better equipment the first time.

23. What piece of advice would you give a newbie entering reef keeping? Go slow. This whole hobby is about keeping water. If you can control the water, everything else will fall into place.

24. Looking to the future, what is your outlook on the reef keeping hobby as a whole? It's only going to get bigger.

25. If you had 3 wishes that could only be used with respect to the hobby of reef keeping, what would they be? that I were rich, could stay at home and reefkeep all day and go diving to better shape my reefs:D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1. What is your first name? Ryan

2. Where do you live? Manhattan, Kansas

3. How long have you been reef keeping? 3 months

4. How much would you guess you've spent on reefkeeping since you began? $1200

5. What was the size of your first tank? 75G

6. What is the size of your current tank? 75G

7. What is the size of your dream tank? 220G

8. What was your first fish? Green Chromis

9. What was your first invert? Mexican Turbo Snail

10. What was your first coral? Kenya Tree

11. Today, what is your favorite fish? Blue Hippo Tang

12. Today, what is your favorite invert? Emerald Crab

13. Today, what is your favorite coral? Leather Toadstool

14. In the future, what would be the next fish you'd like to have? Powder Blue Tang

15. In the future, what would be the next invert you'd like to have? Cleaner Shrimp

16. In the future, what would be the next coral you'd like to have? A Brain

17. What is your favorite tank shape? (rectangle, bowfront, cube, corner, other?) Cube I think.

18. What was the biggest mistake you've made reef keeping? Filling tank initially w/ tap water

19. What was the best decision you've made reef keeping? Emptying it out and refilling it with RO/DI water. :)

20. What is your favorite part or aspect of reef keeping? Just thinking of the tank, making changes, adding things, watching it in motion

21. What is your least liked part or aspect of reef keeping? Water Changes!

22. Looking back, if you could change something you did in the past, what would it be? Got a sump initially rather than a hob filter.

23. What piece of advice would you give a newbie entering reef keeping? Take it slow!

24. Looking to the future, what is your outlook on the reef keeping hobby as a whole? I hope it gets more popular so we have more fish to choose from and better equipment.

25. If you had 3 wishes that could only be used with respect to the hobby of reef keeping, what would they be? 1. All fish/corals/inverts become 1 penny w/ free S/H. 2. Better skimming, lights, equipment for all. 3. Tanks that are bigger, stronger, never need cleaning, and are free for the taking.

·
spsaddict
941 Posts

1. What is your first name? sam

2. Where do you live? florida

3. How long have you been reef keeping? 3 years

4. How much would you guess you've spent on reefkeeping since you began? too much more than 6k

5. What was the size of your first tank? 40 gallon

6. What is the size of your current tank? 90 gallon custom

7. What is the size of your dream tank? 72x30x22

8. What was your first fish? blue chromis

9. What was your first invert? serpent star

10. What was your first coral? green mushrooms

11. Today, what is your favorite fish? my midas blenny

12. Today, what is your favorite invert? dont have 1

13. Today, what is your favorite coral? green birdsnest or green tyree leather

14. In the future, what would be the next fish you'd like to have? potters angel

16. In the future, what would be the next coral you'd like to have? nice aussie donut

17. What is your favorite tank shape? (rectangle, bowfront, cube, corner, other?) cube

18. What was the biggest mistake you've made reef keeping? going to fast

19. What was the best decision you've made reef keeping? weekly water changes

20. What is your favorite part or aspect of reef keeping? watching corals grow

21. What is your least liked part or aspect of reef keeping? algea

22. Looking back, if you could change something you did in the past, what would it be? buy that **** golden angel

24. Looking to the future, what is your outlook on the reef keeping hobby as a whole?

25. If you had 3 wishes that could only be used with respect to the hobby of reef keeping, what would they be?

·
Professional Tread Killer
754 Posts

Chris

2. Where do you live?

Jacksonville FL

just finished my first year

I plead the 5th .. my wife is watching me over my shoulder

10 gallon

2 20 gallon tanks

umm it would be easier to build my house on the reef..

yellow tail damsel

blue leg hermits

haven't tried them just yet

my yellow tail damsel (its a real trip to watch)

hermits. love hermits.. brownlegs are the best for a reef tank. they leave everyone alone and just do their own thing. very peaceful.

haven't got that far just yet

dog face puffer or lion fish. haven't made up my mind. ( but then again my mind went awol )

strawberry hermit crab or one of the large hermits

i have been looking really hard on birdsnest

17. What is your favorite tank shape? (rectangle, bowfront, cube, corner, other?)

rectangle

not reading enough

starting

learning

not enough funds

22. Looking back, if you could change something you did in the past, what would it be?

would have gotten a job that would let me afford this hobby lol..

read read read .. reread reread reread. then ask the folks at TRT BEFORE taking the plunge ..

don't know. bankruptcy, divorce, uumm well.. on the bright side atleast i will have my critters for company..
actually all joking aside i think prices will fall on equipment and such. better equipment will be available and we will have much better time caring for our critters.

25. If you had 3 wishes that could only be used with respect to the hobby of reef keeping, what would they be?I was rich.. ( could afford to keep large tanks properly)

my wife enjoyed the hobby as much as i do

i had a large house custom built so i could maintain all my tanks easily (including solar panels on the roof to run most of the gear. )

·
Professional Tread Killer
754 Posts
25. If you had 3 wishes that could only be used with respect to the hobby of reef keeping, what would they be? 1. All fish/corals/inverts become 1 penny w/ free S/H. 2. Better skimming, lights, equipment for all. 3. Tanks that are bigger, stronger, never need cleaning, and are free for the taking.
now thats a great answer!!!

·
Pinch That Penny
2,240 Posts
<TABLE class=tborder id=post1151646 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_1151646 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid">1. What is your first name? daniel

2. Where do you live? Central Oregon

3. How long have you been reef keeping? 1 yr

5 grand
5. What was the size of your first tank? 55

6. What is the size of your current tank?55, 50, 90 wavefront

7. What is the size of your dream tank?infinate

8. What was your first fish?yellow tail blue damsel

9. What was your first invert? hermit

10. What was your first coral?gsp

11. Today, what is your favorite fish? lawnmower blenny

12. Today, what is your favorite invert? my sally lightfoot

13. Today, what is your favorite coral? my purple monti

14. In the future, what would be the next fish you'd like to have? clown tang

15. In the future, what would be the next invert you'd like to have? rose bta

16. In the future, what would be the next coral you'd like to have? superman danae

17. What is your favorite tank shape? (rectangle, bowfront, cube, corner, other?) wavefront

18. What was the biggest mistake you've made reef keeping? Crushed Coral, Seaclone skimmer

19. What was the best decision you've made reef keeping? using ro water

20. What is your favorite part or aspect of reef keeping? seeing the beautiful life that you are maintaining

21. What is your least liked part or aspect of reef keeping? evaporation

22. Looking back, if you could change something you did in the past, what would it be? not trying to get by with cheap products

23. What piece of advice would you give a newbie entering reef keeping?take it slow and don't use damsels or any other life form to initiate your cycle

24. Looking to the future, what is your outlook on the reef keeping hobby as a whole? it's really looking up with the advancements in technology

<!-- / message --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #000000 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid"><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: postbit_onlinestatus -->
<!-- END TEMPLATE: postbit_onlinestatus --> </TD><TD class=alt1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #000000 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid" align=right><!-- controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts

1. What is your first name? Kelli

2. Where do you live? Fox Lake, Illinois

3. How long have you been reef keeping? Almost 3 years

4. How much would you guess you've spent on reefkeeping since you began? Don't want to know

5. What was the size of your first tank? 24g Nano Cube

6. What is the size of your current tank? 24g, 95g, 5.5g

7. What is the size of your dream tank? probably a 180

8. What was your first fish? Percula Clown

9. What was your first invert? other than clean up crew a BTA

10. What was your first coral? Xenia

11. Today, what is your favorite fish? Sailfin or Midas Blenny

12. Today, what is your favorite invert? Cleaner Shrimp

13. Today, what is your favorite coral? Green open Brain

14. In the future, what would be the next fish you'd like to have? Hawk fish or Lion Fish

15. In the future, what would be the next invert you'd like to have? Linkia Starfish

16. In the future, what would be the next coral you'd like to have? I'll know it when I see it

17. What is your favorite tank shape? (rectangle, bowfront, cube, corner, other?) All of the above

18. What was the biggest mistake you've made reef keeping? Relying soley on the LFS for information

19. What was the best decision you've made reef keeping? Joining TRT and the local reef club

20. What is your favorite part or aspect of reef keeping? Buying stuff

21. What is your least liked part or aspect of reef keeping? Scraping the acrylic tank tied with Chemistry

22. Looking back, if you could change something you did in the past, what would it be? Go slower and research more first

Don't rely on one source for information - go slow nothing good ever happens fast in a reef tank
24. Looking to the future, what is your outlook on the reef keeping hobby as a whole? Only going to get better great progress is being made in the hobby how to keep these critters healthy and happy

Less Expensive, Less maintence, Less Chemistry !!

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
1. What is your first name? Geoff, tough one to figure out. :D

2. Where do you live?Pittsboro, NC

3. How long have you been reef keeping?nearly 20 years. :eek:

4. How much would you guess you've spent on reefkeeping since you began? Dude, have no idea!

5. What was the size of your first tank? 55g

6. What is the size of your current tank? 125g

7. What is the size of your dream tank? 2-3000g

8. What was your first fish? humbug damsel :mad:

9. What was your first invert? Seabae anemone. :(

10. What was your first coral? Colt

11. Today, what is your favorite fish? Blue-Throat Triggers

12. Today, what is your favorite invert? Crinoids

13. Today, what is your favorite coral? SPS

14. In the future, what would be the next fish you'd like to have? Another Blue Throat trigger

15. In the future, what would be the next invert you'd like to have? a black Crinoid

16. In the future, what would be the next coral you'd like to have? a red A. millipora

17. What is your favorite tank shape? (rectangle, bowfront, cube, corner, other?) whatever makes sense architecturally.

18. What was the biggest mistake you've made reef keeping? far to big of a list. refugium, DSB, mandarin goby, seabae anemone, 55g tank, crushed coral, you name it and i have done it. not afraid to admit it either.

19. What was the best decision you've made reef keeping? going back to a BB tank

20. What is your favorite part or aspect of reef keeping? watching corals grow. just slightly more exciting than watching paint dry.

21. What is your least liked part or aspect of reef keeping? siphoning detritus

22. Looking back, if you could change something you did in the past, what would it be? never changing over my original BB system to a CC substrate.

23. What piece of advice would you give a newbie entering reef keeping? sit on those hands. the less you mess with the water, the better the tank will be.

24. Looking to the future, what is your outlook on the reef keeping hobby as a whole? it is finally going somewhere. we are starting to be able to keep more and more inverts alive. we are adapting our care habits to the corals and not the other way around.

25. If you had 3 wishes that could only be used with respect to the hobby of reef keeping, what would they be? to be able to fuse acrylic to glass. i want to use this for all three wishes. i really want a tank that has a glass front for viewing and scratch resistance, while the rest of the tank is acrylic for ease of drilling and adapting.

Great survey!!

G~

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
1. What is your first name? mike
2. Where do you live? macomb michigan

3. How long have you been reef keeping? almost 2 years

4. How much would you guess you've spent on reefkeeping since you began? 5-6k (really hard to say)

5. What was the size of your first tank? 18gallons

6. What is the size of your current tank? 125gallons

7. What is the size of your dream tank? 240 cube

8. What was your first fish? blue tail damsel

9. What was your first invert? cb shrimp (still have him)

10. What was your first coral? gsp

11. Today, what is your favorite fish? powderblue tang

12. Today, what is your favorite invert? peppermint shrimp

13. Today, what is your favorite coral? acropora

14. In the future, what would be the next fish you'd like to have? gem tang :D

15. In the future, what would be the next invert you'd like to have? RBTA

16. In the future, what would be the next coral you'd like to have? an acro that doesnt turn brown

17. What is your favorite tank shape? (rectangle, bowfront, cube, corner, other?) rectangle or big cubes

18. What was the biggest mistake you've made reef keeping? adding too many fish at once and no quarentine

19. What was the best decision you've made reef keeping? not really sure if ive made one

20. What is your favorite part or aspect of reef keeping? the overall beauty of it

21. What is your least liked part or aspect of reef keeping? chemistry

22. Looking back, if you could change something you did in the past, what would it be? looking at pics of sps dominated tanks

23. What piece of advice would you give a newbie entering reef keeping? always buy bigger than what u think u need

24. Looking to the future, what is your outlook on the reef keeping hobby as a whole? its really taking off.

25. If you had 3 wishes that could only be used with respect to the hobby of reef keeping, what would they be? more money, more time, and more patience. <!-- / message -->

·
Registered
679 Posts
Damon
2. Where do you live?South Florida

3. How long have you been reef keeping?4yrs

4. How much would you guess you've spent on reefkeeping since you began?5k or more

5. What was the size of your first tank?29

6. What is the size of your current tank?150salt 40g fresh

7. What is the size of your dream tank?96"36"30"

8. What was your first fish?blue damsel

9. What was your first invert?hermits

10. What was your first coral?a few loose shrooms

11. Today, what is your favorite fish?In my tank its my sailfin tang

12. Today, what is your favorite invert?skunk cleaner

13. Today, what is your favorite coral?zoas

14. In the future, what would be the next fish you'd like to have?Powder blue tang in a bigger tank or a dwarf angel in this one

15. In the future, what would be the next invert you'd like to have?another skunk cleaner

16. In the future, what would be the next coral you'd like to have?bright green rics

17. What is your favorite tank shape? (rectangle, bowfront, cube, corner, other?)Had a 44g corner tank that was nice.

18. What was the biggest mistake you've made reef keeping?Using tap water

19. What was the best decision you've made reef keeping?T5 lights

20. What is your favorite part or aspect of reef keeping?watching things grow

21. What is your least liked part or aspect of reef keeping?when corals do poorly

22. Looking back, if you could change something you did in the past, what would it be?lost a few fish in to emergency set up when tank leaked. tang and angel died due to oxygen depravation in a 10g.

Research every purchase be it livestock or equipment

24. Looking to the future, what is your outlook on the reef keeping hobby as a whole? Good to see so many corals for sale that are tank raised.

25. If you had 3 wishes that could only be used with respect to the hobby of reef keeping, what would they be?wurld piece

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
1. What is your first name? Andy!

2. Where do you live? GA, just south of atlanta

3. How long have you been reef keeping? 3-4 yearsish

4. How much would you guess you've spent on reefkeeping since you began? probably 6000-8000, but id really not like to think about it.

5. What was the size of your first tank? 10gal first, 46 gal reef.

6. What is the size of your current tank? 120, and my ole 46bow still.

7. What is the size of your dream tank? ive really been dreaming of a 8'x4' or a 10x4 viewable from both sides, both 24-28" high.

8. What was your first fish? pajama cardinal (named billy! and i still have him)

9. What was your first invert? hermit crab

10. What was your first coral? not including the mojano i nursed through a cycle. a small rock of zoanthids, although i called em button polyps back then.

11. Today, what is your favorite fish? purple tang

12. Today, what is your favorite invert?i really like octopi, but from what i have, i gotta go with my maxima clam

13. Today, what is your favorite coral? a pretty little acro i have that i got for dirt cheap, its turning out to be really pretty though.

14. In the future, what would be the next fish you'd like to have? flame hawk

15. In the future, what would be the next invert you'd like to have? id really like to get that octopus i was just talking about

16. In the future, what would be the next coral you'd like to have? always up for anything thats pretty, but nothing specific comes to mind.

17. What is your favorite tank shape? (rectangle, bowfront, cube, corner, other?) probably rectangle, i really like bows too though

18. What was the biggest mistake you've made reef keeping? listening to lfs owners,

19. What was the best decision you've made reef keeping? upgrading to the 120

20. What is your favorite part or aspect of reef keeping? serenity... just sit back and watch

21. What is your least liked part or aspect of reef keeping? no matter how hard i try, its ALWAYS something... as soon as you get that in order, something else pops up, i was doing better before i learned about all this stuff and started testing lol.

22. Looking back, if you could change something you did in the past, what would it be? i think i would have gone with t5's instead of halides

dont get cheap, there are cheap ways to buy good equipment, but just dont buy cheap equipment, and dig around, there is nothing wrong with some used stuff either.

24. Looking to the future, what is your outlook on the reef keeping hobby as a whole? i think its moving in leaps and bounds, and to a good direction too.

25. If you had 3 wishes that could only be used with respect to the hobby of reef keeping, what would they be? i wish i had deeper pockets to get the things i would really like to have.
i wish all corals became faster growing, and easier to keep alive.
i wish someone would come out with some easier ways to keep all your levels in check, like a large pill you put in your sump that only disolves as needed.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
1. What is your first name? Jennifer

2. Where do you live? Thomson Ga

3. How long have you been reef keeping? 7 yrs

4. How much would you guess you've spent on reefkeeping since you began? too much

5. What was the size of your first tank? 12 gallons

6. What is the size of your current tank? Which one? 12,24,90

7. What is the size of your dream tank? I'm just gonna build a sea dome on a reef somewhere

8. What was your first fish? white strip maroon still have her too

9. What was your first invert? turbo snail

10. What was your first coral? xenia and mushroom rock

11. Today, what is your favorite fish? my dwarf lion

12. Today, what is your favorite invert? carpet anemone

13. Today, what is your favorite coral? frogspown

14. In the future, what would be the next fish you'd like to have? achilles tang, but that is a fish I wont get but wish I could

15. In the future, what would be the next invert you'd like to have? blue linkia

16. In the future, what would be the next coral you'd like to have? purple rim monti

17. What is your favorite tank shape? (rectangle, bowfront, cube, corner, other?) bowfront

18. What was the biggest mistake you've made reef keeping? not running the heater, going out of town and not telling the hubby to make sure he didn't turn the house heater off. came home to a 68 degree tank and a lot of ticked fish and corals. thank god they all made it.

19. What was the best decision you've made reef keeping? refusing to let the hubby get a shark

20. What is your favorite part or aspect of reef keeping? buying corals

21. What is your least liked part or aspect of reef keeping? paying for them

22. Looking back, if you could change something you did in the past, what would it be? bought a bigger tank to start with

23. What piece of advice would you give a newbie entering reef keeping? check trt and plan it out before you begin.

24. Looking to the future, what is your outlook on the reef keeping hobby as a whole? I hope that cyanide will no longer be used period on fish and aquacultured corals will lessen the damage to natural reefs.

25. If you had 3 wishes that could only be used with respect to the hobby of reef keeping, what would they be? bigger tank, bigger tank, bigger tank<!-- / message -->

·
Registered
12,082 Posts
1. What is your first name? Tim

2. Where do you live? SWFL

3. How long have you been reef keeping? Almost 3 years

4. How much would you guess you've spent on reefkeeping since you began? A lot more than i should have :arg:

5. What was the size of your first tank? 15

6. What is the size of your current tank? 72

7. What is the size of your dream tank? 300

8. What was your first fish? Snow flake eel

9. What was your first invert? Blue leg hermit

10. What was your first coral? Monti cap, GSP and zoes. Got them all at the same time (Thanks Casey!!!)

11. Today, what is your favorite fish? Flame Hawk

12. Today, what is your favorite invert? Cleaner Shrimp

13. Today, what is your favorite coral? Yellow Devils Hand Leather

14. In the future, what would be the next fish you'd like to have? Clown Tang

15. In the future, what would be the next invert you'd like to have? Anemone

16. In the future, what would be the next coral you'd like to have? SPS branching coral

17. What is your favorite tank shape? (rectangle, bowfront, cube, corner, other?) bowfront

18. What was the biggest mistake you've made reef keeping? Listening to the LFS

19. What was the best decision you've made reef keeping? Listening to TRT

20. What is your favorite part or aspect of reef keeping? Enjoying my tank looking at it for hours.

21. What is your least liked part or aspect of reef keeping? NONE, love it all!!

22. Looking back, if you could change something you did in the past, what would it be? Not spend as much money on crap as i did:arg:

23. What piece of advice would you give a newbie entering reef keeping? Stick with it, trust me it will get better.

24. Looking to the future, what is your outlook on the reef keeping hobby as a whole? Hope it is still around

25. If you had 3 wishes that could only be used with respect to the hobby of reef keeping, what would they be? Things wont cost as much, Bigger tank fully stocked!, big skimmer :dance:

·
Registered
107 Posts
1. What is your first name? Mitchell

2. Where do you live?
<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:City>Rome</st1:City>, <st1:State>GA</st1:State></st1:place>
3yrs tl

$2500.00

30gal

30gal

180gal

Scooter Blenny

sebae

open brain

diamond goby

long tentacle

sun

diamond goby

bubble

hammer

bowfront

all of them

stay on a budget

sitting and staring

21. What is your least liked part or aspect of reef keeping? expense

22. Looking back, if you could change something you did in the past, what would it be? none

use a budget, don't be afraid to ask.

up up up

to continue, lower cost, pass it down to children<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<!-- / message --><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
77 Posts
1. What is your first name? STEVE

2. Where do you live?SOUTH ELGIN, IL

3. How long have you been reef keeping? 3 YEARS+

4. How much would you guess you've spent on reefkeeping since you began? 7000.00 AND COUNTING

5. What was the size of your first tank? 15G BOWFRONT

6. What is the size of your current tank? 72G BOWFRONT

7. What is the size of your dream tank? 500G

8. What was your first fish? CORAL BEAUTY

9. What was your first invert? APART FROM SNAILS AND HERMITS, A BLUE LINKIA STAR.

10. What was your first coral? FINGER SOFT CORAL

11. Today, what is your favorite fish? MANDARIN

12. Today, what is your favorite invert? TUXEDO URCHEN

13. Today, what is your favorite coral? I CANT PICK JUST ONE

NASO TANG
CUCUMBER
ANYTHING OF YELLOW COLOR
17. What is your favorite tank shape? (rectangle, bowfront, cube, corner, other?) BOWFRONT, UNLESS A REAL LARGE TANK THEN RECTANGLE.

THINKING THAT I WAS GOING TO STAY SMALL AND BUYING CRAPPY EQUIPTMENT.
LEARNING THE CHEMISTRY.(SOME OF IT ANYWAY)
WHATCHING YOUR BABIES GROW UP.:dance:
CLEANING AND SCRAPING ALGEA, WATER CHANGES
22. Looking back, if you could change something you did in the past, what would it be? I WOULD OF STARTED WITH METAL HALIDES, AND BUILT MY OWN SUMP BEFORE WASTING MONEY ON CRAP.

RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH AND DONT TRUST LFS.
24. Looking to the future, what is your outlook on the reef keeping hobby as a whole? WE ARE SAVING THE NATURAL REEFS. WE SHOULD KEEP FRAGING AND TRADING TO AVOID TAKING CORALS FROM THEIR HOMES. I THINK IF ALL OF US GOT TOGHETHER AND TRADED, WE WOULD NOT HAVE TO BUY ANY MORE WILD SPECIMENS.

500G TANKS WITH SKYLIGHTS FOR EVERYONE, UNLIMITED SUPPLY OF SW, AND LOW ELECTRIC BILLS.:icon_rock:

·
Registered
498 Posts
<TABLE class=tborder id=post1151646 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_1151646 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid">
1. What is your first name? Chris

2. Where do you live? Asheville, NC

3. How long have you been reef keeping? 11 months

4. How much would you guess you've spent on reefkeeping since you began? 3,000

5. What was the size of your first tank? 90g

6. What is the size of your current tank? 90g / 30g

7. What is the size of your dream tank? 180g

8. What was your first fish? 2 Firefish

9. What was your first invert? Sebae

10. What was your first coral? Trumpet

11. Today, what is your favorite fish? Red Lipped Blennie

12. Today, what is your favorite invert? Rose BTA

13. Today, what is your favorite coral? Rics

14. In the future, what would be the next fish you'd like to have? Naso Tang

15. In the future, what would be the next invert you'd like to have? More RBTAs

16. In the future, what would be the next coral you'd like to have? Blasto wellsi

17. What is your favorite tank shape? (rectangle, bowfront, cube, corner, other?) Rectangular

18. What was the biggest mistake you've made reef keeping? Buyin crappy lights

19. What was the best decision you've made reef keeping? Fixing those crappy lights and buy a RS135 skimmer

20. What is your favorite part or aspect of reef keeping? Watching the corals and fish

21. What is your least liked part or aspect of reef keeping? Water changes

22. Looking back, if you could change something you did in the past, what would it be? Bought the good light to begin with

23. What piece of advice would you give a newbie entering reef keeping? Take your time

24. Looking to the future, what is your outlook on the reef keeping hobby as a whole? Fun, exciting and has a great payback

25. If you had 3 wishes that could only be used with respect to the hobby of reef keeping, what would they be? #1. I wish I could hire someone to do my water changes...LOL #2. All of my inhibitants to be happy and healthy. #3. Prices to be cheaper!!!!! LOL
<!-- / message --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #000000 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid"><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: postbit_onlinestatus -->
<!-- END TEMPLATE: postbit_onlinestatus --> </TD><TD class=alt1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #000000 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid" align=right><!-- controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

1 - 20 of 26 Posts