The Reef Tank banner
2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  FLHT 
#1 ·
so i bought my 1st coral (yellow button polyps) on monday and added my 1st creature...a arrow crab...

not knowing that they arent really reef safe!?...

should i take this guy out now?...hes the only thing in there right now, besides 150 #s of LR...

thanks

brad

#3 ·
Arrow crabs are well, crabs. They are opportunistic feeders and if they aren't well fed by you, they will eat whatever they can get their claws on. They will pick at worms in your tank, including bristle worms, coco worms, mini-feather dusters and the large Hawaiin type dusters, probably even if they are well fed; it's what they do. If they're hungry, they're going to go after the other inhabitants in your tank such as snails, small fish and possibly polyps. Arrow crabs get rather large.

Basically, it's a crap shoot and what you're willing to tolerate within the crab's natural behavior. FWIW, I wouldn't put one in my tank.

Alice

#4 ·
alice,

so whats the best way to get this badboy out?...

net?...

chase him into a container?...

i got 150 #s of LR in there and i'm sure he wont come willingly!?!...

i figure i better do it now before i start adding alot of fish and corals!...

thanks

brad

#5 ·
I'd buy a fish trap. Over the course of the growth of your tank, it's highly unlikely this is the first time you'll need to get something out. And with only two inhabitants, and only one that moves, should be easy.

For a one-time shot, your LFS will probably loan you one. But after my second removal, I just bought one (about $25.)

HTH.
Glenn

#6 ·
well i got the little booger out tonite...he was grubbin at the top of the tank and i managed to wrestle him into a net then made a prison out of a tupperware container to house him overnite...

he goes back tomorrow...

my wifes really gettin into lookin at the tank at nite at all the "bugs"...i dont want him eatin em all!....

thanks

brad:rolleyes:

#7 ·
blue,
to get him out have your net ready, get a piece of food
in your fingers wave the food in front of his face and he
should come running.
my arrow caused no problems until he got bigger, then
he started eating my shrimp and other creatures.
i gave him to a friend who wanted him.
i wouldn't buy another one.
good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.