The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find a few colonies of table top acroporia. I've been searching for awhile now, and have not seen acros designated as table tops (basically I'm looking for those species that tend to have a plating shape like a monti cap, but put up the finger projections of typicall acro colonies from the plateing base, does that make sense?). What are some good species to try?

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
wow hard to find right now and very very hard to keep long term

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What make them so hard to keep?

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will they normally be listed as table top's?

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
They require optimum water and very high flow all around and under them
this is the only acro I can not keep I have lost everyone I have bought.:(

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the picture was there.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
I Dont know looks like he likes Millis to me,you will always find someone who can keep them but the average hobbyist will fail with these corals.

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, well if they tend to be difficult then I will likely steer clear of them.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Oh I love them also dont get me wrong I would love to have them.
I just want you to know how hard they are.Its a shame because they look awesome.

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I figure if you think they're hard, I don't have a prayer of keeping them :D :bawling: .

·
Great TANG LOVER!
620 Posts
Try A. clathrata and A. hyacinthus. I got frags from ReeferMadness 2 years ago...my table tops are AWESOME now, but, I DO have a LOT of flow! They also require VERY bright light.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Think about where these spp come from, reeftop at the algal ridge, they get breaking waves and are in very shallow water, spend a little time out of the water usually twice a day, and get very high energy water current and oxygenation due to the nature of their biotope.

Remember, think biotope, and you don't have to make compromises in supplying conditioins for the specimens you desire to keep.

Use a bucket surge device in a biotope designed for reef-top algal ridge specimens for closed system success (you have to decide how badly you want to keep these corals... it CAN be done). There are even species of coralline algae for this biotope (hence the name, "algal ridge," a wave-resistant ridge of crustose coralline algae). The energy of such an environment for these corals will usually denude the skeleton of the coenenchyme of species from lower-energy biotopes.

HTH

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As for light, I have three 250W MH and two 140W VHO actinics over a 180.
The flow in my 180 seems to be doing the trick right now. I run two Seio 820's, two Tunze 6100's, and a Little Giant 4MDQX-SC as my sump return pump. The Tunzes are set so one is always pumping at 30%, while the other is pulsing between 30%-100%.

So I have a base flow of 930gph (30% of 3100 for the Tunze not pulsing) + 1640gph (820 x 2 for both Seios) + 1003 gph (from my little giant) = 3573 gph at all times for approximately 20X turnover baseline. Add to that a pulse from the other tunze ranging between 930 gph (30%), 1860 gph (60%), and 3100 gph (100%) and my total gph ranges from 4503 - 6673 gph, or approximately 25 - 37X the tank volume per hour.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tom, thanks for the input. As always, good points to consider. Reflecting on my current setup, I think I should steer clear of them until I can better replicate their biotope.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
oh, and because I will hear it from Spanks if I don't add this, probably best to be bare-bottomed as well

:D

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have some sand in my SPS tank, does that make me a bad person? :D

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Not as bad as I am, I guess... :D

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Tom, how long have you had that blue linkia star? I've tried to keep them, but with very limited sucess. I've been told they are rather difficult to keep?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts