The Reef Tank banner
1K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Sea monkey 
#1 ·
I want two vho actinics on my 36' l reef tank. I was wondering if a T5 or a T12 would be better and I also was wondering what ballasts to run. Please give me your opinion on what would suit me better.

#7 ·
If your running Low-Medium light corals, I do not suggest the IceCap, there just is no need to overdrive these bulbs (If you have good parabolic individual reflectors). If you are running high-light corals or have a very deep tank, the Ice Caps are great ballasts.

VHO and T-5 will work fine. I think you have more room for growth and defiantly get more Par per Watt and space used with the T-5. Personally, I like the light of the Blue + vs full actinic.

#9 ·
robbie, i know i'm hitting on a sore subject but ditch the T5s and get metal halides! most of the prettiest tanks i have seen on RC run MH+VHO actually if you can find me any that run MH+T5 i would like to see what they look like. iv seen a few that run T5 only but in my mind MH is the way to go! oldie but a goodie!

#12 ·
rihanssu said:
robbie, i know i'm hitting on a sore subject but ditch the T5s and get metal halides! most of the prettiest tanks i have seen on RC run MH+VHO actually if you can find me any that run MH+T5 i would like to see what they look like. iv seen a few that run T5 only but in my mind MH is the way to go! oldie but a goodie!
I already have a 250W MN running.

#22 ·
jdbassin said:
hellolights.com sells an ARO electronic ballast for a good price, Never had any problems with them at all. Much cheaper than the Ice cap and gets the job wonderfully.

jd
Initial costs are only part of the equation. If you can get 12-18 months use from your bulbs then yes it can be a much cheaper solution. If your replacing bulbs every 6 months or so then really your actually spending more money long term.

#23 · (Edited)
jquigley78 said:
Sea monkey, how long have you been using your T-5s ? What set up are you using and bulb mixture. Just curious. I am running the tek 6 bulb, but have only been using it for about a month so it is too early to tell yet what successes/problems that I might have.
umm 3-4 months i guess . i use 5 blue bulbs (different brands) and three GE sun bulbs. Only negative i had was for a while i had excess algae growth on the glass because of the more intense light and prolly the GE spectrum. I kinda let it go for a while to let the algae go through it's cycle and use up some of the nutrients and then did a couple larger water changes and it solved the problem.

with all eight bulbs i also need to use a fan to keep the temp down. I didn't need one when i was only running 6 bulbs but when i got some clams i decided to add the other bulbs back in.

I think the GE 65k bulbs really get the algae and cyano growing . I have two large frag tanks down stairs(4 foot by 6 foot each) that share the same sump at about 20+ times turn over so the water should be exactly the same . One tank has the same 8X54w fixture and one has a 400W MH 20K with a cool guy reflector. the tank with the T5 GE 65k bulbs is growing cyano in plague proportions and the one under the 400W MH doesn't have even one small patch ...

that said all the corals and RBTA's look better than ever and i am getting better growth out of every coral i have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.