The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hj guys i am new to the form was in saltwater 10 years a go and am setting up a 75 reef my ? is i have took a highbay t5ho six blub and revamped it to a canopy for my 75 gal reef tank is a bout 19 deep am curntley running 2 10.000k antic 2 460 blues and a couple 4100k white plan on replaceing the bulbs this is just what i have on handlights are bot 5 in from top of glass on tank in stalled a fan and grill to get rid of the heat am staining the top now so hope to have in use by tuesday. have mostly leather coral a anomine sume xzina ans mushrooms want to keep some clams what bulbs should i put in fixture it has idf reflectors my spelling is sh-----t so read between line and thanks for any help

·
Registered
57 Posts
Calms need metal halides for best growth and color.You might beable to get 1 and put it somewhere high of your LR.With a 6 bulb T5 unit I would go with 2 actinic white +,2 460 actinics, and 2 pure actinics.That should give you good color all around.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,674 Posts
I disagree Your better off with T5HOs then T5 and most Mh(have better par)and less heat and don't need replacing as often.:2cents:

·
Registered
826 Posts
i disagree i know alot of ppl who have t-5ho n have clams. i have 3 24watt compacts on my 14gal and have a clam and its doing GREAT..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
t5ho and clams

i figer with six t5hos in a 18 inch tank would be a lot of par i have a 4 bulb on it now and am bleaching some of the leathers had to move them to bottom with 4 54 watt t5h0 2 10,000 antic and 2 420 . lady at lfs said with six 54 watt t5hos should be no probblem but i like other opinons to thanks for the replys keep them comeing

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Calms need metal halides for best growth and color.You might beable to get 1 and put it somewhere high of your LR.With a 6 bulb T5 unit I would go with 2 actinic white +,2 460 actinics, and 2 pure actinics.That should give you good color all around.
T-5's have more par than 150 mh. T-5's with good individual reflectors will put out as much or more average par than most 250 halides. The key is getting a good unit though.
what makes t-5 so good is the bulbs allow for a better designed reflector. These reflectors do not waste much light and direct the light almost straight down. Without reflectors a t-5 would not stand a chance against halides though.

We heard for years you needed halides and fluorescents would not cut it and that was true for a long time ago. Advance in fluorescent technology has come a long way since then.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts