The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd say that the bulb is burned in now and I'm so far very impressed. I'm running off an IC660 and it is consistantly brighter than the VHO actinics. Although this may not be the case with standard t5 ballasts. The bulb runs about as hot as the standard 10k bulbs. Light intensity seems to be good, but its hard to compare the VHO reflectors to the t5 reflectors because they are two different styles. I'm using the IC reflectors for both.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
I'm running the UVL T5 Actinics on a T5 spec ballast. It is kindof hard to say that it looks exactly the same as the VHO because it does appear brighter than the VHO. I would have to say the color looks pretty darn close though and like Jake mentioned it's probably because of the different style.

We did PAR tests over at Fritz house the day they arrived. A 5.5" inches from the bulb ( both bulbs brand new and allowed to warm up ). The comparison tests of output to the T5 Blue+ were not the greatest ( about 30% less ) but for me it's all about the aethetics and not about maximizing a PAR value.

ATI Blue+ 83...163...213
UVL Super Actinic 57....117...160

First reading being no reflector, second Tek reflector, third Icecap reflector.

Andy at Icecap has hinted that if you do the same bulb comparison on Icecap ballast that the UVL AqauSun and Actinic/White bulbs will run brighter than the Aquablue ATI will on an Icecap. I would like to do that test next time I visit Fritz to confirm because on a spec ballast the ATI bulbs win everytime and rather convincingly over the UVL bulbs. Supposedly they UVL were designed to run the best on Icecap.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BTW David I still have your stuff, can you pm me your address again. I'm heading down 169 tomorrow by your house so I could drop them off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts