The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yet again I plan to upgrade my lighting again, and I wanted to know what bulbs you T5 users use. I am in the process of purchasing 2 2 bulb tek retros. I currently have a 6 bulb setup, but it does not have individual reflectors. I figured since I am upgrading the fixture, maybe I will do the same with the bulbs.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
SInce youre upgrading the bulbs, I guess this wouldnt apply to you... I use the stock Current USA T5s. They seem to be working great on my tank.

·
Registered
401 Posts
(2)actinic plus D&D ATI
(1)UVL superactinic
(1)Tru actinic D&D Geismann
(2)aquablue(15k) D&D Geismann

Ive tried quite a few and this is my permenant bulb config untill a better bulb comes along.

-Justin

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Justin said:
(2)actinic plus D&D ATI
(1)UVL superactinic
(1)Tru actinic D&D Geismann
(2)aquablue(15k) D&D Geismann

Ive tried quite a few and this is my permenant bulb config untill a better bulb comes along.

-Justin
Out of curiosity, how blue is your tank? Also do you get a purple look from the super actinic bulbs?

·
Registered
401 Posts

Id say maybe like what youd associate a 14-15k ish look. Ive done the 10k thing and Ill never go back. Actually the blue+(actinic + respectivley) is overpoweringly blue so the purple isnt noticeable, IMO. But now that I have more purple spectrum Im really noticing a difference with some of my corals and getting some fabulous results in others.

-Justin

·
Registered
401 Posts
Depends on your setup.Is it overdriven by an IceCap ballast?Does it have individual reflectors?How deep is your tank? What critters you keepin?And lastly whats your preference to the overall look?ie.,10k,14k,20k?

-Justin

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
well right now I just have a pc fixture (2x65 10k and 2x65 act) but was looking into the tek sls retro kit and upgrading the reflectors to Ice caps. I have mostly softies and zoos with one frogspawn. I want to try more lps and maybe one day some sps but I know I need better lighting for it. So I was just taking mental notes on what I would need

·
Registered
401 Posts
A 4 bulb tek would be perfect for the tank you describe. With the IceCap reflectors you may notice that you'll need to shade shrooms that may be too high. Typically with that setup all the shrooms are most happiest on the bottom/lower middle if receiving full light. Zoos and leathers love this light. You can keep SPS near top and upper middle and will have good luck maintaining montipora plates and digis,pavona to name a few as well as pretty much any LPS out there. With a four bulb config Id probably go with
1 UVL superactinic
1 actinic plus
2 aquablues.

This will give you a cool blue/white 12k-15k look.

If you want more of a 10k look or slightly warmer white, swap an aquablue for an ATI midday sun bulb(6000k). All bulbs mentioned have shown to be very high in PAR and will be capable of keeping/sustaining lower light lps like acanthastrea,fungia, echinophyllia,open brains etc., on the sand.

-Justin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts