The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just ordered my new T5 lighting for my tank and I am so stoked. I have 8 x 96watt Power Compact in my tank right now and I am switching over to 6 x 80watt T5 HO lights. I am dropping down from 768 watts to 480 watts but the lights are supposed to be much more powerful than the Power Compact I have now. I ordered everything off of Reefgeek.com and the seem to have the best prices on almost everything I bought. I can't wait to see the difference in the lights once I get them up and running. I am going for the 14k-15k look so it should be pretty nice. I ordered 4 extra different bulbs so I can mix and match the colors to get the best look. Is anyone else running T5's and if so, how do you like them.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
I run 4*54W T5 over my four foot 50G tank. I just switched over from 2*250W XM 10K and was very supprized by the light (LUX) readings when I compaired the two.

I have a thread titled "after all I said in other threads, I bought them" in the BB section of this fourm which details my thoughts, and measurements.

I think you will like them,
Whiskey

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well here are the Pics of the new T5 Light's. After changing around bulbs for 2 hours I finally found what I like. I ended up going with:
Front to Back
Actinic +
Actinic +
GE 6500K
Actinic +
Actinic +
Actinic +

I now have 3 extra Aquablue's, 1 GE 6500K, and a Midday 6000K bulbs because I did not like the coloring. The Aquablue bulbs have way too much white in them to be called Aquable's. The picture looks alot more blue than it really is. I have a cheap Kodak LS743 Digital Camera that really sucks. Tell me what you think of the difference from the Power Compact to the T5's.

Power Compacts before:

·
Protect the Worlds Reefs
1,152 Posts
You might want to add a screen or two to shield the corals from the extreme exposure of light. I think homedepot has them. Just take away a sheet or so a day to acclimate the tank. My 55g that went from pc to the ice cap 4x54w was a major dffrence and it actually burst out some of my corals.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put all the Actinic + bulbs in for a few days before I put the 6500k and aquable bulb in and everything in the tank is loving the lights now. The corals are all turning the colors that they are supposed to be and the anemones's are larger than ever now. The clams seem very happy too. i am very impressed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts