The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pine stand in oak $199.99
Does some one know about this type of T'5?
Is it OK or just a China POC?

Guess this is what I was looking at.

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
I'm a little confused on the question here.....Are you looking for fixtures or just the bulbs?

The Nova apparently is an OK system, but it does NOT use individual reflectors, therefore not really taking advantage of T5HO lightings capabilities... The TEK fixtures are superior, as well as Aquatinics.

If you are looking at bulbs, I've read and found that the German bulbs from Geismann are some of the best. For a daylight (6500k) GE daylight bulbs put out the most PAR and only cost about $13, but you will need to use at least one 11k and some actinics to avoid a yellow look...

HTH, but I'm not sure what you are asking for here?

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
All of those Current USA ones are just Normal out T5 wattages.

You want HO T5s look for wattages like 24W , 39W , and 54W. These are the 24",36",48" high output wattages respectively.

Can't really tell anything from the other set. Would need more info......

Your best best is to retrofit and use Icecap reflectors as they are rated the best.

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
Skip the Nova Extreme fixture and spend a few more dollars and get one with INDIVIDUAL reflectors...that is key here!

If you have a canopy, then doing the retrofit kit like suggested is a great way to go. Some people choose to overdrive their bulbs on retrokits w/ the Icecap reflectors and wind up with some serious light.

So.....do you have a canopy or do you want to go with a plug and play fixture??

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have nothing at this time.
I just did not know you could only drive 2 bulbs with each IC 660 or 430.
That starts to add up!

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
My Tek 4*54w 48" fixture was $300 delivered to my door with all of the bulbs and shipping. I found retros were going to be very close if not the same price, plus I would have to build a canopy.

As for the NOVA, save your money and get a GOOD system to start with...HTH

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
I got mine from reefgeek, they had great service and prices and delivered quickly. The packaging of the bulbs was great as well.

The Tek is a great light if you want a fixture and don't have a canopy for the retrokits. I'm loving my tek light, as well as the SPS growth I'm getting.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
The diagram is only applicable for VHO or Normal output t12 bulbs.

It runs T5s differently on Icecaps and puts more strain on the ballast. You must use the heatsink with the ballast. Highly recommended to keep a fan on the bulbs ( particularly the endcaps ) at all times while the bulbs are running. Reducing heat on the bulbs increased output and bulb life. Even more important with 24" bulbs as they overdriven even more then other lengths and is the most hard on those bulbs.

A 430 the max is 2 T5 bulbs period regardless of length.

A 660 will drive a max of 4 T5s up to 54W ( 48" ) T5s or a max of 3 80w ( 60" ) T5s.

URI A4 ballast is design for VHO bulbs only. They do not come with heatsink. Don't attempt to use T5s on that ballast. Will cause the ballast to burn out prematurely and not warrantied.

That's probably the most commonly asked question on the Icecap forum and has been answered numberous times.

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
I have a 4*54w Tek light on a 55g tank. I use Geismann bulbs and one GE daylight 6500k. My geismann are 2 actinic + and 1 11k bulb.

Hardlife, I will send a PM with some pics and details of place/price a little later to you.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I bought my new tek light(6x54watt) on ebay from a seller for $395.00 with 6 Geisman bullbs with it shipped to my door for that price. It is an awesome light, way more intense than I thought possible from flourescents and it never gets hot and my temp has been so much more stable since, never going over 81.5 at the end of the day. You will be happy, I am sure.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Josh, I will be interested to here how well you like the unit in about 6 months when your corals are well acclimated to it. If you have my LPS, you may find T5s aren't as great as you think they are today. I was very enthusiastic for the first few months as well..... Not to say you can't be successful but you may have some challenges with some corals later down the road. I'm hoping since URI VHOs have been a very proven bulb that the UVL Bulbs will be nice addition to the T5 market but it will be a while to know just how the corals react to them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts