The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gday guys,

I currently have a MH dual lighting system but I'm contemplating changing to T5 HO for both heat and noise.

Pretty much all I need is lighting for an anenome (which I haven't even got yet) and coraline growth.

I have the MH if I ever decide to make the tank a full blown "reef tank".

So my question is would 4 3ft T5 HO fluros be substantial for a 45Gal tank with an anenome and maybe a few non-light loving corals and would I be able to have the fluros in a top vented (no fans) enclosed hood without having too much temperature build up?

Thanks in advance
Andrew

·
Now What?
1,100 Posts
I think that would be ok if you went w/four 54w. A fan would give you a little longer life out of the bulbs. One can be retro fitted for about $20 or so if your handy.

·
Registered
368 Posts
t5's still throw off quit a bit of heat, granted not nearly as much as MH. For the t5's they come in 54 watts and four would give you almost 5 watts per gallon. that should be pleanty

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only 18 Inches and I forgot to mention its a BB tank. So just to make sure I get this right - 4 54w T5 HO's and 1 Blue Actnic should suffice?

·
Reefer and proud of it!!!
866 Posts
i think they are talking about x1 actinic, maybe x2 10k, and maybe x1 14k or 20k. that way you get a full spectrum.

I have x1 24" actinic, and x1 24" i think 12k or 14k i already forgot. they are over my 20 gal long. ten inches from the water surface to the top of the sand. and about 4 to 5 inches from the surface to the bulb.

·
Reefer and proud of it!!!
866 Posts
i have been told for my tank 20 gal long that my total light output of 48 watts which comes out to be about 2.4 watts per gallon is sufficent for condies atleast. not sure about other types anenomes though.

Actually i do have another light bulb under my canopy which is an old t-8 regular output 24" 14watt "Pro Glow" i think it claims it is like 10k but doesnt even look anyware near what the t-5 HO's do. so that turns to about 62watts total. which comes to 3.1 watts per gallon.

But then again i have been told its not all about watts per gallon. i have heard it's also about the par level coming from the paticular lights. no mater what type it is.

·
Fyr Fishy
517 Posts
Gday guys,
So my question is would 4 3ft T5 HO fluros be substantial for a 45Gal tank with an anenome and maybe a few non-light loving corals and would I be able to have the fluros in a top vented (no fans) enclosed hood without having too much temperature build up?
oh yeah and what wattage should I be looking at if it is feasible?
You mentioned in your first post that you are looking at 3ft bulbs. The 3ft T5HO's are actually 39W each, not 54W. If you run them off an IceCap ballast, you can actually squeeze about 60W out of them but they must be cooled with some canopy fans if you go this route. I'd probably go with some canopy fans regardless though if you want your bulbs to maintain their spectrum longer. Here's a link to a good retro set up for 4 x 39W T5HO bulbs.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
OK, let's back it up a little bit. You are correct that 4 T5HO (3 ft long 39 watts each) will be plenty of light for an anemone and perhaps even too much light. You have a very shallow tank and bare bottom tanks usually require less light than those with substrate. Do NOT use an ice cap if you can help it, the overdriven bulbs will probably be too much light. I have an 18 in deep tank and have 3 T5HO overdriven with an icecap and I bleach acroporas and have a clam on the substrate. I had to remove one of the reflectors off the bulb to keep from bleaching everything. T5HO's are a lot stronger than you think when you ovedrive them. T5's also NEED to have a fan to keep the bulbs cool or else the bulb life and light output would be much less than expected. HTH

·
Registered
97 Posts
I run 4x39W T5s over my tank which is 18 inches deep.Softies don't only survive but thrive.I find mushrooms, especially discosomas, only do well on the bottom preferably with some shading from overhanging rocks.
A mate keeps the same tank with same lighting as mine and keeps hard corals which will surprisingly do very well in the top third of such a tank despite my local LFS saying you must change to MH.He also keeps 2 nems in the tank,a rose and a bubble tip.Both do well and have increased in size loads over the months he's had them.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah i wont be overdriving the bulbs so 4 39w sounds like a go-er.......

Thanks for all the advice - I'll let you know how it goes (assuming I change from the MH)

Cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts