The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago I purchased a Current 4x54W T5 HO 48" lighting fixture for my 55 gallon tank. I bought it from my local aquarium shop where I have been buying for years. It was used , with new bulbs & new ballast I was told by the owner. I am having a problem with the 2 day bulbs shutting off after a few hours, but simply unplugging the plug & replugging it back in they come on. I have verified it is not the power strip/surge that all my aquarium plugs use. The owner is willing to look at the light & repair it, I was just curious of what the cause may be, overheating problem? ballast problem? I was told ballast was replaced but are there seperate ballast for the day bulbs & the actinic. How long can I be without lighting if he needs to repair it? Soft Corals mostly, mushrooms, pulsating xenia, 1 toadstool .

Thanks for your replies

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
If you have one switch then it's a 4 bulb ballast,if their is 2 switches then tere should be 2 2bulb ballast.They can go a couple days.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the help! I do have 2 switches, so I would guess that he only changed the ballast in the actinic bulbs.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
Switch the two days bulbs over too the other bulbs and put them in the day bulb sockets,and see if the problem follows the bulbs(if it does it's the bulbs are bad) but if the other bulbs go out,then it's that ballast.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have done as you suggested & it appears that my problem is solved. I switched the actinic bulbs to the sockets that the day bulbs were in when they were cutting out about every hour or so. The problem did not follow the bulbs, nor the sockets. Is it possible that the actinic bulbs are not putting as much strain on the ballast (if it is starting to go bad) as the day bulbs? I was expecting to find either a bad bulb or bad ballast, not a problem totally solved. Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
It is more likely that the bulbs were just loose or not fully seated in the sockets from shipping and handling. Moving and reinstalling the bulbs probably took care of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts