The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm now in the process of installing the lights and had some question. I currently have 4 36" T-8 flourescents and 2-175w 10,000K Ushio Screw Socket metal halides. My question is it seems to be hard to find 36" T-8 Bulbs. Most I find are T-12.

What are my options here??? Stay with T-8 or do I have to buy new fixtures that will work with T-12 for better bulb options???

Also which kind and type of bulbs are best to get.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Jetski6<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I use t-5 on a 36 inch tank and love them

·
Registered
104 Posts
jetski6, there was a resent test as far a PAR from a t5 and MH and it seems that a t5 had better lighting. IMHO like the t5 more due to the heat and ease of the units. I have the TEK 8x54 hood and running 4x10k, 2x pure actinic and 2 actinic plus.

Look for the tests i believe it was done by Wiskey!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Started looking at my fixture a little more detail. Looks like T-12 will work in them also. So I guess the question is.

Get all new T-12 bulbs or upgrade to T5.

What all would I have to replace to upgrade to T-5??

·
Registered
104 Posts
RETRACT

In that case Jet, i would just replace your T-12's with some good bulbs. Upgrading to a t-5 unit that will last and be top notch would be around 350.00 for Hood and bulbs going with UV since they are one of the best out there. I bought the Giesemanns also very good bulb and i like the look of the blues.

Jet, brain fart here. t-12 only last about 5 -6 month and cost about 40.00 that would be 160 every year and 320 in two year. My thought here is that t-5 bulbs last up to 18 months before you have to replace them and only cost 20 dollars. I would have to say go with either a 4 or 6 bulb T5 hood and you will not be disappointed at all.

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
Another highly satisfied Tek T5 user here!! I use the 4x54 unit on a 55g and am impressed with the lighting....No shimmer effect but each month when I pay my electric bill I'm smiling from ear to ear to make up for it!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts