The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone think of T 5 lighting? I can't decide what to get. I was originally thinking MH now I'm thinking T5 just because of the cooler temp and the energy savings. I have a 125g 6 foot tank, right now I'm using a 48" corallife that was on my old 55g.:help:

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Timmy77 said:
Is it because of the shimmer MH give off?
I like the shimmer but I just got a t5 fixture in this week and it doesnt seem to be any brighter than a normal flo tube ,I will stick to vho and Mhs from now on,t5 just make my tank look to dim.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I could just find a used 72" coralife with the MH. That would be nice. I going to check ebay right now.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
<<< I like the shimmer but I just got a t5 fixture in this week and it doesnt seem to be any brighter than a normal flo tube >>>

Nooooooo, HO T5 bulbs running with SLS or IC parabolic individual reflectors are insanely bright as compared to MH's watt for watt. If you are talking NO T5s, then yes, they are just another flourescent tube.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
HowardW said:
<<< I like the shimmer but I just got a t5 fixture in this week and it doesnt seem to be any brighter than a normal flo tube >>>

Nooooooo, HO T5 bulbs running with SLS or IC parabolic individual reflectors are insanely bright as compared to MH's watt for watt. If you are talking NO T5s, then yes, they are just another flourescent tube.
These are HO t5s maybe I ordered the wrong kind then
I dont know anything about this fixture since it is brand new and i just turned it on and took a pic,all I know is I can look at my friends t5 light under the hood with no problem but cant do it with 250 watt MH bulbs I would be blind.:nuts:

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Casey said:
all I know is I can look at my friends t5 light under the hood with no problem but cant do it with 250 watt MH bulbs I would be blind.:nuts:
I made that mistake before
ouch

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
<<< all I know is I can look at my friends t5 light under the hood with no problem but cant do it with 250 watt MH bulbs I would be blind. >>>

Not sure what trying to stare at the bulb(s) has to do with anything, especially since one is diffused light and the other a point source light, however the numbers don't lie.......a 6 X54W T5 setup running IC reflectors and good bulbs will outperform 2 X 250W MH's on PAR, and will also be a more intense light across the entire tank. The additional advantage would also be that you could get a wider mix of spectrums mixing different bulbs, less heat, etc.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
HowardW said:
<<< all I know is I can look at my friends t5 light under the hood with no problem but cant do it with 250 watt MH bulbs I would be blind. >>>

Not sure what trying to stare at the bulb(s) has to do with anything, especially since one is diffused light and the other a point source light, however the numbers don't lie.......a 6 X54W T5 setup running IC reflectors and good bulbs will outperform 2 X 250W MH's on PAR, and will also be a more intense light across the entire tank. The additional advantage would also be that you could get a wider mix of spectrums mixing different bulbs, less heat, etc.
Dude all im saying is I dont want a dim tank and with these t5s thats what I have right now unless I add another 4 bulbs which im not gonna do,I have installed one pc strip and one Mh and it is awesome now real bright.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How much lighting is needed for a standard 125g tank. I plan on sofies mostly but I would really like a clam or two. Here is a pic with the coralife.

stand 1.jpg

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Timmy77 said:
How much lighting is needed for a standard 125g tank. I plan on sofies mostly but I would really like a clam or two. Here is a pic with the coralife.

View attachment 41082
If you want clams I would get Mhs with actinic supplements .

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
My Tek T5 HO 4*54w fixture is just as bright or brighter than almost any MH system I've seen.

I personally love my T5 HO lighting, whatever you do GET individual reflectors, otherwise yeah they will look like any other flouro light.....

I have great growth from all of my Stonie corals under this light, So I have no shimmer lines..........I also have no chiller and a much lower electric bill than most reefers :lol:

I've seen people w/ 6' tanks use 2 36" retrofit kits when going T5 HO....If you can live w/o the shimmer, and want more flexibility in lighting w/ less cost give the T5 a try. JME/O

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
Go over to RC and read some of the T5 threads, There are some INCREDIBLE T5 only tanks out there. There is nothing you can't keep under the correct T5 lighting.

The added cost of running MH lighting is not worth it to me, but that is my opinion and situation......My SPS is growing fast enough for me with this lighting.

Give the thread a little time and let some others speak from their experiences....meanwhile check out RC, a lot more info on T5 over there HTH.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts