The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all,

I posed this question under my "New Tank" thread, which at this time can be found under "New Posts" (14 gallon Bio-cube. One tiny false perc clown, one lawnmower Blenny, one fire shrimp). I figure I better start a new thread for this question. I have added a lot more live rock since the last time I syphoned the sand/water change. Now that my Lawnmower Blenny is spitting out chunks of algae everywhere and behaving like pig pen, I am looking for tips on syphoning the stuff off the bottom and cleaning out the buildup in the sand, without disturbing the live rock. There are a lot of little tight spots where the algae chunks are and need to be vacuumed up (Thanks a lot "Blenny Kravitz" AKA "Pigpen").

What is the best way to go about this task? Or will I have to move the live rock around to get to the sand?

Thanks, Capt. Jack.

·
My own ocean
1,662 Posts
I would just stir it up with your hand, its okay if a couple spots aren't siphoned.

Oh, and thats sweet that you like in the Carribean! You can probably just catch all of your stuff for your tank huh? Oh wait, thats illegal in the Carribean isn't it?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Berger9953,
You are correct, no LFS needed in my surroundings. I just dive off the "Black Pearl", have a little conversation with the critters of the sea, and they come to live in my little piece of ocean! I give them all the food, riches, and rum they want! As far as illegal: Shhh, I am a PIRATE afterall. AARRrrrrrrrrrrrrrr matie!!! ;)

Thanks for the reply! Good advice is always appreciated!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can try a power head in hand(not hook arm!) and point it in the hard to reach area to push it out.And since your a Pirate my guess you like rated "RRRRR" movies!
Ahhhhh, the use of a power head to get the pesky algae chunks and all. How diabolical!! Great idea! It never even occured to me. Thanks.

By the way: I hope the weather on the east coast is cooling off for everyone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts