The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still have my 50 gal up and running. I'm going to be purchasing a nano - most probably 24g but maybe a 12g. I will be taking rock from my tank now and using it for the other tank. I will probably buy dead sand and let that become live. I will be using a lot of critters from the old tank as well.

Is there a way I can avoid a cycle? Do I have to use a lot of the same water from the old tank?

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
I would probably just fill the new tank with the old tanks water and add the rock. Let that it sit for a bit checking for signs of nitrite and ammonia. If nothing after a week acclimate the fish and coral and call it a day. You really shouldn't have much die off if any. But its always better to err on the side of caution.

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
I think if You get the nano set up and running Temp, Sg and so on right on and then add your live rock and let it run for a few day You will be fine. I did my wifes 24 nano with sand, NSW and live rock that was near being cured and some bio stars from a system at work and added a Coral bandedand fish within two days and it hads been a few weeks now and doing great>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts